( search forums )
The Concept of Vehicles in a 2D Game
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Keron Cyst
June 28, 2005, 4:56 pm
I've recently seen a lot of rather vehicular posts in the Suggestions forum sub-body, especially in Captain Ben's Coaster Mode! thread. They all say they'd like the idea of vehicles, but not one of them stated how a vehicle would function in Soldat :-P When I came to the forums and made my first post, I regarded vehicle possibility as an SG with a special weapon other than the M2 cannon that moved around a little.

And Metal Slug was an exception xD If we want to recreate that, polygons set to the blocks-only-soldaten attribute should also have an accompanying checkbox asking whether it should be in the Background or not (so the vehicle would be in front).

See, the main problem with vehicles in Soldat is that if you move uphill, the front of the vehicle's image will go into the polygon ramp (and the back will be buried if you're going downhill). The soldat's body also stays facing horizontal no matter how steep the polygon is that he's traveling on. If the image could rotate and follow the ground's angle, vehicles would be a much larger possibility. I'm sure Michal could have images follow the angle of the polygon they're on.

Deleted User
June 28, 2005, 8:26 pm
I still think that they're never going to be installed,if it works or not,Michael himself said they will never be in.
And what is it with you saying blocks-only-soldaten.Thats the third post I've seen you say it.

FliesLikeABrick
June 28, 2005, 10:07 pm
it isn't going to happen, and you really didn't say much about how it would work either, just pointed out a couple of obvious things. "how it would work" would include how you get in and out of vehicles, whether they'd shoot or not, what they shoot, how you take damage in vehicles, and stuff that actually matters to the game.

see genocide's post for why this isn't even necessary though.

edit: and fix your massively long signature to obey the rules.

Captain Ben
June 29, 2005, 12:20 am
True, first they'd have to be able to rotate on angles, but maybe the vehicles don't have to turn around; they'd either go forward or reverse...

Deleted User
June 29, 2005, 12:31 am
maybe not like tanks and stuff as vehicles, but like VTOL vehicles, like helicopters or an osprey? but if they could rotate then yes tanks, but what would happen if they fell off a cliff? would these tanks have jets on them? it would be funny

BManx2000
June 29, 2005, 12:39 am
This problem would be solved if ARMORED CORES were implemented as the vehicles.

XD

Fangus Deef
June 29, 2005, 1:03 am
vehicle thread number 3278. when will this all end?, you might ask. the day after soldat ends, someone's going to say "it's a shame. i bet vehicles would've kept that game going", THEN it'll be over.

Pvt. Parts
June 29, 2005, 1:17 am
There are enough explosions in Soldat right now.

papasurf31
June 29, 2005, 1:57 am
#1074 actually, Search is your friend, Fangus...

Gundams are vehicles, so be happy and contact Svirin Kerath for your vehicular fetish fix.

Keron Cyst
June 29, 2005, 2:25 am
Me? My signature's long? And BTW, I'm honestly not sure whether this thread is supporting or against the idea of vehicles, since I know Michal said there'd be no vehicles.

Deleted User
June 29, 2005, 4:12 am
Either you make a game or hire a programmer to make one,cause on soldat it ain't happening."Vehicles" should be a banned phrase on these forums for gods sake.It's like me getting straight A's in school.Ain't gonna happen!

Keron Cyst
June 29, 2005, 4:43 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst...I'm honestly not sure whether this thread is supporting or against the idea of vehicles, since I know Michal said there'd be no vehicles.

Dude. Read, please. This was the post right before yours :-|

Pixofied
June 29, 2005, 8:58 pm
quote:I'm sure Michal could have images follow the angle of the polygon they're on.
Thats not hard, if you know engough about the language, its very easy.

Vehicles. Yea, i'd like to see them. Maybe only on selective maps and/or modes (Assault?). But yea, he should atleast have a go, even if he doesn't like the idea. For example, with a new version theres always new stuff that comes out, and its not always liked. But you get used to it, and eventually like it.

Anyway, MM said oneday Soldat will be open source, do what you will then. I wonder how many Good MODs there will be... :?

Splinter-Cell
June 30, 2005, 3:55 am
That would be kewl but i dont think it would be the ssame >.<

SPARTAN_III
June 30, 2005, 10:44 am
well if (when) MM releases the source code like he said he probably would, then.....

MOFO NOFO
June 30, 2005, 11:38 am
well.. see how the guns turn, he could just make a veichle pic and a vertically opposite one, and make it a moving collider to polygons(and mabye soldats) though it cannot be controled by mouse.

Da cHeeSeMaN
June 30, 2005, 12:53 pm
this reminds me of that stickied post "We need vehicules" my greatest moment when i proved eyic wrong lol.. which turned into an insult match...lol
well im not gonna explain how vehicules would work because no one believed me the first or they didnt want to believ me...

mickle89
June 30, 2005, 3:54 pm
ELASTOMANIA!!! Think of it like that with out using SPACEBAR to change direction and the hardcore flips and jumps.

Deleted User
July 1, 2005, 12:05 am
lol

blackdevil0742
July 1, 2005, 12:08 am
why do ppl wanna have vehicles!?!?!
this is a fast action shooter damn it!

Keron Cyst
July 1, 2005, 12:40 am
*has a heavy urge to cuss*
Please read the message body, not just the topic subject alone :-|

blackdevil0742
July 1, 2005, 8:19 am
I did read your post and it was good :P
The message was too the ppl that wants vehicles.

Deleted User
July 1, 2005, 3:54 pm
we want vehicles cus then we have more firepower and more armour and stuff.....omg harrier jump jets :D

Deleted User
July 2, 2005, 2:11 pm
The maps arent made for vehicles,but it would be cool.

Happy Camper
July 2, 2005, 3:28 pm
it will NEVER happen, please get over the idea, and everyone stop making topics like these(i relise this will never happen, but i can hope right?)

MM said him self, NEVER, please try to understand that concept.

Keron Cyst
July 2, 2005, 5:53 pm
*sigh*
Another one of the people who stupidly read only the topic's name and decided to reply right away.

This is the only forum I know of that has people like that... >.<

Unlucky 13
July 3, 2005, 2:51 am
Keron has the right concept, the maps were not created to fit vehicles. And Michal said "It'd be cool, but I'm not adding them.", also as Keron said. I never thought of the rotation problem, myself, but overpowerful-ness is also a big factor, as well as I guess the physics and coding that would need to be added.

I'm with Keron, vehicles wouldn't be added, the only reason the fit into Metal Slug is because all of the ramps are at controlled angles, in other words, they are all programmed "into" the vehicle. As for Soldat, because of the large number of maps and the map makers, this "programming" wouldn't be possible.

Happy Camper
July 3, 2005, 3:08 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst*sigh*
Another one of the people who stupidly read only the topic's name and decided to reply right away.

This is the only forum I know of that has people like that... >.<

No, i read every post.

This topic is USLESS, even if i DID only read the damn title.

dude
July 6, 2005, 3:13 pm
even if there was a vehicle made and a map for it what if it flipped, got stuck on a polygon, or fell off into nowhere? would it respond like any other player, now that would be stupid

PreeGo
July 6, 2005, 7:02 pm
I don't think it ever will work..!
Just look at the maps of soldat.. hmm maybe you are thinking of some kind of flying vehicles..
But again no, because there are already the jetpack...!

:)

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 3:16 am
HARRIERS or F-35...maybe even X-32?

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 3:24 pm
READ OR DIE!

Deleted User
July 8, 2005, 11:04 pm
well howabout more stationary guns? like a mortar one or rocket launcher?

skill
July 9, 2005, 12:00 am
Not more newbie weapons :X
Thank god there is only a nubish minigun right now :)
The others are just balanced perfectly. :D

Happy Camper
July 9, 2005, 1:38 am
quote:Originally posted by skillThe others are just balanced perfectly. :D

Yea, that will be the day...