( search forums )
Zero's Thread-O-Suggestions - Updated 2
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Zero72
June 30, 2005, 5:58 am
This is where I'm gonna dump all of my Soldat suggestions. Most of them are intelligent and reasonable, I promise.

Latest suggestion: This is a small and unimportant one, but I think it would just be neat: /salute.

It's no secret that Soldat is full of hate. The number of racial and/or ethnic slurs thrown around in a day would probably make Hitler weep if compacted into one statement of hate, there are at least 12 hate groups for every single weapon in the game, and so-on and so forth.

But what if you meet another player that you -- GORD FORBID -- actually enjoy playing with? Suppose some guy nobly sacrifices himself for the cause, or braves the odds and comes flying out of heavily populated blue territory with the blue flag with a wall of gunfire at his back, or someone who just puts up a good and fun duel?

Remember in Metal Slug 3 (SPOILERS HERE) when they find out the leader dude's an alien, and they send you into that space ship, and salute you as you pass by? That was cool, I thought. (NO MORE SPOILERS) I think it would be neat if you could show your appreciation for a respectable player by standing tall and giving a hearty, good old-fashioned salute. Why not?

Other suggestions:

Rolling to minimize fall damage: The first time I tried realistic mode back in the wee days of my Soldat career, I jumped off a big ol' ledge and tried rolling to see if it would have any effect on how I landed. It didn't, and I was kind of disappointed because it really wasn't entirely realistic. I'm not saying you should be able to survive a 90-storey drop by tucking and rolling, but I think it should have some bearing on how much damage you take -- maybe halving it in most cases or something like that.

Regarding idle animations: The regular Soldat waiting animations (scratching head, checking ammo in gun or whatever the hell that one's supposed to be, involuntarily lighting cigar, and so-on) should either be axed entirely or simply made less intrusive -- ie, should be cancelled by any sort of directional or action input instead of only a gunshot. Also, I like the head-scratching one, and I think you should be able to do that one manually instead of standing around and waiting for it. Body language an' all.

Brutalban command: As mentioned not long ago, there should be a more satisfying form of the beloved /ban, which would cause the unfortunate moron who's gotten himself banned to spontaneously explode violently and shower the immediate vicinity in gore, only to be banned the moment before respawn. Others have gone as far as to want to be able to torture the person in other ways, but I think a regular old explosion is good enough. Others have also suggested that the one doing the banning may also be able to add a comment in doing so.

Improved dismembering: Pretty self-explanatory -- the current gostek only seperates at the neck, elbows and knees, and there are obviously more joints than that. It would be cool to be able to see entire legs cartwheeling through the air or to actually chainsaw somebody in half at the waist. Perhaps this could be optional.

That's all for just now.

Deleted User
June 30, 2005, 4:13 pm
i don't get what's the point of brutalban? it wouldn't really humiliate them.

Green Barret
June 30, 2005, 4:15 pm
Nice post. I have to agree with all of these. Strangely, although these have been suggested before, they haven't been implimented in the game.

The rolling part is right. When paratroopers land in real life, if they landed standing up, they would break their legs. So they do a roll apon hitting the ground. Maybe we should make players roll when they land in parachute in realistic mode....

i am ahab
June 30, 2005, 4:25 pm
lmao @ brutalban
how about just before taking it that one step further you allow him to play but every time he kills someone or captures a flag he explodes into a violent bloody puddle of guts :O
say maybe 10 times as a warning ;)

and then BRUTALBAL BWAHHHHHH!

the roll would be good for realistic, but should add in maybe a factor to limit its use.

the dismembering is non essential, but i am impartial to it.

the animations are annoying. but as they only happen when you idle....

zyxstand
June 30, 2005, 4:31 pm
i agree with the roll idea, the idle animation, and better virtual-anatomy.
they're definitely something more necessary than most other topics covered in these forums.

Maxx
June 30, 2005, 5:19 pm
The only one I don't like is the brutalban.

All the other ones NEED to be implimented.

Keron Cyst
June 30, 2005, 5:28 pm
Everyone would use /brutalban whenever banning someone, then. It's amusing, but it might generate a lag spike.

I love all of the ideas. Some people (in real life, BTW) can survive two-story falls without taking any injury whatsoever just by rolling. And regarding improved dismembering, there should be less blood; you can't even tell xD

Zero72
June 30, 2005, 5:34 pm
Thanks for your support, guys.quote:Originally posted by Keron CystEveryone would use /brutalban whenever banning someone, then. It's amusing, but it might generate a lag spike.
I don't really see why. It wouldn't have to send any more data than a regular ban, because all the ragdoll stuff is handled locally and not by the server.

vash763
June 30, 2005, 7:03 pm
im all for the cutting someone in half

FliesLikeABrick
June 30, 2005, 8:53 pm
i agree that they should all be implemented, although the brutalban is significantly less necessary than the others

Deleted User
June 30, 2005, 10:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Zero72

...Rolling to minimize fall damage: The first time I tried realistic mode back in the wee days of my Soldat career, I jumped off a big ol' ledge and tried rolling to see if it would have any effect on how I landed. It didn't, and I was kind of disappointed because it really wasn't entirely realistic. I'm not saying you should be able to survive a 90-storey drop by tucking and rolling, but I think it should have some bearing on how much damage you take -- maybe halving it in most cases or something like that....

thats from Zelda...anyway i like that feature...that would be very useful on realistic games

Keron Cyst
June 30, 2005, 11:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by Faulty Doorknobquote:Originally posted by Zero72

...Rolling to minimize fall damage: The first time I tried realistic mode back in the wee days of my Soldat career, I jumped off a big ol' ledge and tried rolling to see if it would have any effect on how I landed. It didn't, and I was kind of disappointed because it really wasn't entirely realistic. I'm not saying you should be able to survive a 90-storey drop by tucking and rolling, but I think it should have some bearing on how much damage you take -- maybe halving it in most cases or something like that....
thats from Zelda...
No, it's not (sure, Zelda may have it); people in real life can survive falls that way.

zyxstand
June 30, 2005, 11:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cystquote:Originally posted by Faulty Doorknobquote:Originally posted by Zero72

thats from Zelda...
No, it's not (sure, Zelda may have it); people in real life can survive falls that way.

...good point! although it's really not the falling that saves you! it's that you minimize your impulse due to impact; that is, you slow yourself down more rather than just landing! this means that you could save yourself just as well by going into crouch position upon landing and slowing yourself down instead of taking a strong hit!

Zero72
June 30, 2005, 11:59 pm
Ever seen one of those guys called freerunners? They're those crazy guys who jump around on stairways and rooftops and stuff like that. They're amazing, and definitely a testament to how much rolling will help after a long jump.

Deleted User
July 1, 2005, 12:09 am
if brutalban is implemented server admins would just brutalban people for no reason, just cus it's funny

Zero72
July 1, 2005, 12:11 am
...That may be true, yeah.

Keron Cyst
July 1, 2005, 12:46 am
Stock matches could be good for clan wars. That sounds suspiciously like SSB Melee, tho' :-P

Zero72
July 1, 2005, 12:49 am
The only way I can think of to make that work is a waiting period before the match actually starts, where everybody is in limbo until the host starts the match or until X number of people join. And then, as said, nobody could join while the match was in progress.

Seems like a bit too much.

Edit: Yeah, Smash Bros. was the inspiration there.

Vanana
July 1, 2005, 1:00 am
i like some of ur ideas

MonkeyHead79
July 2, 2005, 5:18 am
Maybe there should also be a /brutalkick to prevent /brutalban from being abused excessively.

Keron Cyst
July 2, 2005, 6:23 am
quote:Originally posted by Zero72... I think it would be neat if you could show your appreciation for a respectable player by standing tall and giving a hearty, good old-fashioned salute. Why not?...
You can do /victory, or type out your gratitude :-P

Zero72
July 2, 2005, 6:31 am
Or you could consider my suggestion for at least a moment instead of pointing out the obvious.

Deleted User
July 2, 2005, 7:14 am
I think it would be better if you couldn't get rid of parachute until the landing in realistic mode, so you would have to roll after landing. But these ideas sound good.

Jamesmax0
July 2, 2005, 7:32 am
I like them all, especially the brutal ban because I like to be a jackass to very annoying/arrogant players (btw if you ever see free_kill, tell him i say hi ;) )

Unlucky 13
July 2, 2005, 9:19 am
Soldat is full of hate? I don't see much hate, people who have been playing for a while seem nice enough.

Anyway, Stock sounded nice, why'd you throw it away? Pretty much all o' the suggestions are nice, I like rolling and and idle animations.

Zero72
July 2, 2005, 1:32 pm
It would have been just way too awkward to implement a stock match. =/