( search forums )
Even fewer particles mode
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
kestask
July 1, 2005, 7:23 pm
Can we have a mode which is only players, bullets/grenades, explosions, and the map? All the extra particles really slow it down; my comp can play UT2004 and Doom3 at pretty reasonable frame rates, but Soldat is jumpy!

MOFO NOFO
July 1, 2005, 9:56 pm
how about you check the soldat Manual, or turn off the antialiasing and stuff, also play aroung with the config.exe

im Spicy
July 1, 2005, 11:22 pm
or u can get a better internet connection? what do usay

kestask
July 2, 2005, 4:33 pm
been there, done that, and Im not even playing over the net. the most laggy thing is the mouse pointer. its not joggy enough to be unplayable, but just enough to annoy. do we really need hundreds of particles when one of thousands of bullets hits the ground, or several blood particles when someone gets shot? Im not saying get rid of them, just have an option to turn them off. soldat shouldnt (have to) be a processor intensive game at all

im Spicy
July 2, 2005, 11:27 pm
sucks 4 u

kestask
July 4, 2005, 11:02 pm
sorry this isnt another 'hey lets add exploding remote control toy cars' thread, sorry some people might actually find this useful.

Deleted User
July 4, 2005, 11:12 pm
They aren't particles, they're bitmap files :/

Maybe you could edit a lot of the files to be blank, so that they're smaller files and won't take as much for the computer to process? I don't know how bitmaps would interact with your RAM.

zyxstand
July 4, 2005, 11:54 pm
i dunno - might just be his graphic card not suporting this 2-d game (but supports 3-d)...i have no idea why it lags for you! u said doom 3 works fine? then this game should be no problem...ask for computer help from someone specific or w.e...sry...

Boxo
July 5, 2005, 2:31 am
im Spicy: how about you post something even remotely useful instead of starhunting with worthless BS like that?

Stalky: The way i see it, the bitmaps are just the graphic representation of the particles. Particles are stuff like blood, bullets, nades etc., like kestask said. Thus, your suggestion wouldn't help much AFAIK.

IMO this is a good idea, for both people with low-end computers and people like me who like a minimalistic interface. AFAIK I wouldn't be hard for MM to add another particle-reducing option.