( search forums )
Soldat's Hall of Fame
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Ok
July 2, 2005, 2:39 am
So here's the deal, the voting system is obviously a popularity contest for most of the voters and it really isn't a good way to settle it since there are alot of retired vets who deserve to be in the hall of fame and are not known by today's community.

So I made a very specific system that requiers a very simple forums and maybe a site for future display.
Atm I'll just make a forum, its going to be a very simple and basic one.
here are the forums: http://denacke.net/soldathof/

I will ask some known vets to help me invite all the vetrens that are still around today.
After everyone will be gatherd in 1 forum we can start the voting.

As I suggested in the original thread its going to be like this:
Every active vet will be allowed into a private area of the forums.
In that area the voting will begin, each vet will have to give 5 names out of the vetren list that will be gathers from all the sign ups in the forum, he will then have to order them in his priority.

Higher priority, means more points to the name placed in there.
After everyone will post their priorities we'll have our top 5 vet that will be the commity that will choose the Hall of Fame names.

Those 5 will have to choose another 5 advisors from different sections of the Soldat world, those advisor will be the eyes and ears for those ellecting 5 since you can't cover everything with 5 ppl.

Now I'm sure alot of you are worried this will be abused in some way or another, but I can assure you that there will be rules to make sure the deciders won't have a majority of interest.
For example, only up to 2 deciders from each continent could be a good idea.

Later own my vision is to create a website and a permanent forum and a commitee that will choose its own members in the future.

This could be a very nice idea to thank all those ppl who worked hard to make Soldat more fun for us, and for all those famous players who stuck around and made a name for themselfs for one reason or another.

Soon requests will be sent to everyone who is qualified to be a vet.

Again I want to re-assure everyone there will be no preferences on personal bases, and I will be just 1 among many that will choose the first list.

Chakra`
July 2, 2005, 5:12 am
I will do my best as a celebrity to help in any way possible until it crash and burns in a few days time.

_Mancer_
July 2, 2005, 5:24 am
Ack, why don't you just leave it alone. Personal Preferences and personal bases are part of the reason why we vote them in the first place.

Denacke
July 2, 2005, 10:05 am
Ok! Let us go for it!

Ok
July 2, 2005, 10:23 am
I don't think someone deserves to be remembered because I like him...
Same to you...

Its about the controbution to the Soldat Community and the effect one made on it.

At anyrate its a much better way then letting everyone vote for whom they like, its a shame to see past achievments go to waste don't you think?

P.s: I didn't just started it without hasitation, I asked around, this should be a sticky soon and I hope I'll get the help I need to get this going.

Avarax
July 2, 2005, 10:24 am
let them get their ego boost ;p

b00stA
July 2, 2005, 10:41 am
(topic made sticky)

Kazuki
July 2, 2005, 12:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ok
Its about the controbution to the Soldat Community and the effect one made on it.

I've probably contributed in many small ways to this Soldat community, but I probably won't be mentioned because I wasn't around during 1.05b. ;) Just you watch.

quote:
At anyrate its a much better way then letting everyone vote for whom they like, its a shame to see past achievments go to waste don't you think?

I agree. I think this system you've come up with might just work. At least, it wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck and I hope it works out. :D

Outcast
July 2, 2005, 12:31 pm
too...tired...to...understand..but i guess it must be ok since oks long posts usually have something right to them...:p

Ok
July 2, 2005, 12:47 pm
ERm I should make myself more clear.
If we'll only accept 1.0.5 players we wouldn't have many voters now would we ^_^
I would say we shouldn't look at a version, more like the time someone has been ehre.
There are players who had played 1.0.5 but reitred and then came back, that doesnt make them knowladgble in the soldat community.

Also I would like to ask as many as NA veterans as I can get, or atleast ppl who know the community since they have been a huge part of the soldat history. (SCTFL for example)
TFS, Marbire, Fab etc etc... pls register and help

Kazuki
July 2, 2005, 12:58 pm
Right, but I meant that I wouldn't be very popular or well-known since I haven't been around that long. I was in the PC clan with Marbire, Fabman, TFS, BMF, and some others it it's any consolation. I guess I'm available if you run out of vets from NA. :)

ReDevil
July 2, 2005, 1:07 pm
Sounds like a plan

Deleted User
July 2, 2005, 1:33 pm
well I'm against OK, your point of view, will be simply subjective.

FragBait
July 2, 2005, 1:55 pm
Ellect a comitee at first. Then the comitee decides who gets in the hall of fame. It would be less of a popularity contest.

Sounds fine. There are people who should be remembered. And not just by the people that knew them.

Ok
July 2, 2005, 2:16 pm
Ok so I got a few updates:
1- this is the new forum : http://denacke.net/soldathof/
I'm sorry for the hassle but the old one just sucked balls (thx to Denacke)

2- I came to realize my explaination wasn't clear enough (what a surprise ;)..)
So I came up with a new way to explain it, its stages of selections:
A: Commitee (Made out of me and some other selected veterans who I will post the names later)
B: Voters (All veterans selected by the commitee)
C: Final Commitee (Selected by all the veterans)
D: Hall of Fame (Selected by the final commitee)

That should make it more clear, now the first stage is a forced one, it has to be since someone should give the first push, I can always say you have my word for things to become wide spread (from all arond the soldat world) and won't be manipulated into personal favours and so on.

Again I'm sorry for the hassle for those 9 sign ups that has to do it again, but its for the general good.
TY

SuperKill
July 2, 2005, 2:49 pm
damn, another forums... just..cant..bother..enough...arghhhh.....
the ultimate solution will be creating a new subforum in this forum.

N1nj@
July 2, 2005, 2:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKilldamn, another forums... just..cant..bother..enough...arghhhh.....
woooo...look who is smart now

loOke
July 2, 2005, 3:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by Outcasttoo...tired...to...understand..but i guess it must be ok since oks long posts usually have something right to them...:p

sure, but as usually he also could merge all that writings into one sentence :E

SuperKill
July 2, 2005, 3:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@quote:Originally posted by SuperKilldamn, another forums... just..cant..bother..enough...arghhhh.....
woooo...look who is smart now

it has been offered a couple of times before ;p

Meandor
July 2, 2005, 3:19 pm
I don't think we need this. It's pointless and will make people angry. Not to mention that aussies, asians, a lot of people from communities you do not know (or respect), and most americans will be left out.

Michal
July 2, 2005, 4:10 pm
Yeah I agree with Meandor, I don't think there's much point to this...
quote:Its about the controbution to the Soldat Community and the effect one made on it.
And how is contribution defined? There are those that work their asses off making maps and mods, and from what I've seen with the revived voting system they barely get any recognition.
And there are also who those who have only played the game for years and it's considered a contribution? I don't know, it doesn't seem right to me :/

?
July 2, 2005, 4:45 pm
this is getting complicated :(

Ok
July 2, 2005, 6:18 pm
I understand your fear, that's exactly what this system is suposed to solve.
I know there is much more to Soldat then just tournies and game play.
I also know I am not familiar with all the espects of soldat since I haven't been involved in any of it.

This isn't a closed discusion, ANYONE can influence and EVERY suggestion will be read by me and other expirienced players who knows.
I have all intention of making sure the american players will have a strong representation and will get the respect they deserve and they do.
Every major host, every admin who made a difference etc etc..

I urge everyone that fears this will insult some ppl do to lack of credit to make sure those ppl DO get the credit for their hard work by posting and being involved in the project.
EVERYONE can suggest someone, if the reason is good enough and that person really deserves the respect, rest assure he will get it.

Don't say "This is not good because it won't cover everything" help us make sure we do cover as much as possible.

We do have aussies in here, they can represent that community, about asians, I have no idea, if anyone knows some asians do give them the URL for the forum

Deleted User
July 2, 2005, 6:55 pm
Only thing im going to say is i hope you will ony choose People who have quit the game and community already.

Heres my suggestions:
Panel of Judges: get 10-15 varied people (few from everywhere) including austrailia, asia etc... Also make sure you have 1 representative from each area, 1 or more from mapping, 1 or more from modding, and so on, These people will make the final votes and will induct any people into the hall of fame. Required votes to induct should be 85% or higher, and dont simply limit them to the people who have been playing longest, get those people who have the highest impact on the community today. A judge shouldnt necesarrily have to vote if he doenst know who the player is..
Nomination Judges: another 15+ people?, these will be the people who will eventually decide nominees to be inducted every month or whatever... Get those people who arent that strong in the community as the panel of judges, but those that have been playing longer than most players, or do something more than the general public...
General Public: These people will post suggestions of nominees, they will make a thread or something with reasons why a person should be inducted in thier opinion...

Once nominees are decided, make a thread for each nominee, and ask for opinions... People can here post why or why not they think this person should be inducted :S.. This can help the Judges make thier choice, but eventually the final decision is up to them. This way everyone has some sort of voice in the final decision..

Ok
July 2, 2005, 7:02 pm
Your idea is almost identical to what I have done.
Only you do have an improvment with the numbers factor.

If you'll post it on the forums, in the suggestion section it would be very helpfull.
My aim is to get as many ppl possible from around the world as I said.
I fear it will be hard to do it alone, if you know anyone asians or aussie, pls tell them.

FliesLikeABrick
July 2, 2005, 8:01 pm
i think the idea that Ok is pursuing should work

N1nj@
July 2, 2005, 9:01 pm
quote:I fear it will be hard to do it alone, if you know anyone asians or aussie, pls tell them.
There are shietloads of asians and aussies around, and I happen to know one, ME XP

But it's pretty easy to find them, too bad that members map isn't here anymore =(

Pimpin`
July 3, 2005, 12:04 am
I like that idea. But .. Meandor is right. There are some vets (from Asian, American, Polish etc. communities) who are not well known in here. I mean that it will be hard to create a 'hall of fame' list.

Outcast
July 3, 2005, 12:33 am
There are always unknown heroes in war. It's the way it goes. If you are too shy to present yourself to the wider public then you shouldn't be considered a veteran, since by voting you wouldn't accomplish much because if they don't know you, you don't know them either most of the time.

Ok
July 3, 2005, 12:37 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@quote:I fear it will be hard to do it alone, if you know anyone asians or aussie, pls tell them.
There are shietloads of asians and aussies around, and I happen to know one, ME XP

But it's pretty easy to find them, too bad that members map isn't here anymore =(

You're saying your asian or an aussie? 'cause your profile says canada.
Anyways if you can contribute information about famous ppl from those communities do feel free to come along into the forum and post some info.

Marbire
July 3, 2005, 2:09 am
One problem I'm seeing is that everyone and their fuccking mother thinks that they should be in the Hall of Fame....

Ok
July 3, 2005, 7:18 am
Yes that's why we have a committee to decide that.
Actually we also have a committee to decide who deciddes that.
ACTUALLY!! we also have a committee to decide who will be given the option to decide who decides it.

So as you see, its a fail proof system ^_^

Deleted User
July 3, 2005, 8:18 am
quote:Originally posted by MarbireOne problem I'm seeing is that everyone and their fuccking mother thinks that they should be in the Hall of Fame....

Thats right
(this system is rather complicated and what ever comite you do that will allways just look for theyr own good and theyr friends good ;>)

that fuking sniper
July 3, 2005, 9:27 am
Hmmm, I think this should be based entirely on contribution, and not on how long a person has been playing the game.

I'd not vote for myself, even though I'm a "vet," as you youngens say :P

To tell you the truth, this isn't any different than the popularity contest OK was pointing out in his posts, vets are still normal Soldatters, and will judge according to their preference. I doubt that any voter, including myself, will be completely objective in their voting. But one can never know...

Chakra`
July 3, 2005, 2:01 pm
TFS is right. Contribution, rareity and general significance are more important if we are to remember those past and present. Even if he is a vet, his only contribution to soldat has been some remarkably intelligent posts.

...hmm, maybe thats enough of a rare thing to make him worthy of fame then ¬_¬

Deleted User
July 3, 2005, 2:09 pm
No...I disagree once again...You don't need to be acvtive on forums and contribuing on the "forum's bla bla" to be in Hall of fame. imo..

Ok
July 3, 2005, 2:25 pm
Chakra, TFS, I agree with you, you just misunderstood what we're choosing atm.
Pls check later for a good explaination on the forum.
I've made one and asked ppl to read it, apperently its alot more clear and will explain to you how it works.
You'll see being a vet is not being in the hall of fame nither choosing who will.

You can find find the it here:
http://www.denacke.net/soldathof/viewtopic.php?t=6

-TomPenny-
July 3, 2005, 5:40 pm
yarrr.. Cbble needs to be on the list without voting! yarr
btw hello again (i expect to get flamed soon)

Ok
July 4, 2005, 4:46 am
If you think cbble should be in the list, just nominate him with your explanation (when the time to nominate starts).
Although we all know him and the commmittee will vote him yes for sure.
still it must go through the system.

TIR_Blade
July 4, 2005, 5:41 am
Bluesfear, Enjoy, Cbble, and Fabmanx will get up there or i'm posting naked pics of myself in every forum...

SpeW
July 5, 2005, 7:59 pm

Ok
July 10, 2005, 1:47 pm
Need help with making the site for the Hall of Fame.
Any help will be appriciated
Pls contact me in a PM.
or visit our forums:
http://www.denacke.net/soldathof/

Deleted User
July 15, 2005, 9:40 pm
Is this official?

SoldatStriker
July 19, 2005, 5:18 am
Alright, so the basic idea is to honor those who have had a longstanding time in the community and have made contributions for the greater good of Soldat-kind, right?

What my question is...

Why would you need a website to do that, and more importantly, how is using a website to execute that goal an effective means of honoring said members?

This really just yells "I like these people and so should everybody else," and even though the intentions are good there's lots of potential for abuse, if not from the people working on the website than from the people who are being "honored."

I think a pat on the back and a shake of the hand would go a longer way.

Speaking of which, sup everyone.

ThaD
July 19, 2005, 10:06 am
sup

long time Striker

b00stA
July 19, 2005, 8:19 pm
Welcome back, Striker.

Are you here to stay? :)

DeMonIc
July 19, 2005, 8:52 pm
As I see it, it would be more usefull having one site that combines clan history and the hall of fame. One site that could have events, important players that have done something for the community, and important dates (like clans getting founded that are still here and have been the topic of chit-chat for a longer while) and version releases. That would be perfect, and it would pretty much leave out even the slightest suspicions about "This is where friend's friends get mentioned".
Just my 2 cents, really.

Ok
July 25, 2005, 7:43 am
Well, I guess you didn't read the whole Soldat History Book thread :)
Its going to be a part of the HoF.

As for Striker, sure its a project that has potential for abuse, that's why I made such a complicated system and if you'll see it you'll see that everyone get a fair chance of influencing.
Sure few veterans might have not got in even though they think they should (or maybe even deserve it) but the point of the system is to start a snow ball by force and just let it roll itself down the hill without anyone pushing it from behind and directing it the way he wants.

But like anything else, someone's gotta be the one pushing it from the top of the hill, consider that one ME.
If you'll take your time going into the forum and sign up I'm sure you'll see it yourself.

Also a website is not for those who will be mentioned there, since they mostly won't get to see it themselfs :)
Its for us, to remember the old times, to give the new players some roll models and let them see how things were done in the past and what is appriciated in the community vs what is not.

I still need a suite builder btw, its a very simple site so it shouldn't be so hard to make.
Anyone?

silly Suasag3
September 12, 2005, 8:36 am
......ooook why dont u jus make a high scores