( search forums )
Modding features in 1.2.2
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - General Discussions
Michal Marcinkowski
July 7, 2005, 12:35 pm
I thought I would share some new features of the next version with you so that you can start making compatible mods now and update the old ones.

- mods will be located in a folder in Soldat\Modsexample Soldat\Mods\GummyBears,
that folder will have the same structure as the folder \Soldat.
The mods will be run by parameter: Soldat.exe -mod GummyBears,
so you can make a shortcut.

- different files for flame animation
Located in: Sparks-gfx\flames
files: explode1.bmp ... explode16.bmp

- it will be possible to use custom fonts to replace bgothl.ttf and lucon.ttf

- added files "m2-2.bmp" and "bow-2.bmp" so these weapons don't have to be symmetrical

- different files of gostek for second team (possibility of two different looking teams)
This is important so be sure to add the second gostek files to your mod, they don't have to be different they just have to be there.
They are placed in the folder Soldat\Gostek-gfx\team2. That folder holds the same gostek and ranny files as Soldat\Gostek-gfx

- different files for weapon muzzle fires
the new files are: ak74-fire.bmp, bow-fire.bmp and chainsaw.fire (blank for default), colt1911-fire.bmp (socom), flamer-fire.bmp, minigun-fire.bmp, ruger77-fire.bmp, law-fire.bmp, m79-fire.bmp, mp5-fire.bmp, m249-fire.bmp, spas12-fire.bmp, steyraug-fire.bmp.

Any questions besides when will this version be out?

mickle89
July 7, 2005, 1:02 pm
So say if I wanted to run the Tom Clancy mod then a CS mod would I have to make two shortcuts with parameters. And if I wanted to play Tom Clancy mod I would run the first shortcut, and to change to CS mod I would exit and run the other shortcut?

And can the mod still be changed in the in game options?

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 1:20 pm
That interesting, i remember trying to suggest different gosteks for the different teams, but the topic never got approved. dont worry, i wont brag about it :P .
umm down to the question, so with the different gosteks for the different teams, will it include the parachute gosteks

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 1:22 pm
YES!! i've been waiting for this!

Question!: will it be possible to have more than 16 frames for explosion?

Question 2!: can you tell us what you have done so far?

Michal Marcinkowski
July 7, 2005, 1:30 pm
quote:So say if I wanted to run the Tom Clancy mod then a CS mod would I have to make two shortcuts with parameters. And if I wanted to play Tom Clancy mod I would run the first shortcut, and to change to CS mod I would exit and run the other shortcut?
Exactly.
quote:And can the mod still be changed in the in game options?
No, sorry, maybe in the future.
quote:will it be possible to have more than 16 frames for explosion?
No.
quote: can you tell us what you have done so far?
The things that I wrote :).

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 1:37 pm
1. will this be the last soldat version you make?
2. what can you tell us about changing weapon stats? will it be possible?
3. what else are you gonna do?

papasurf31
July 7, 2005, 2:02 pm
OMG, just about everything I could ever ask for except:

+ can there be 2 different weapon sets for different teams? (graphical change only, like different weapons-gfx, interface pics, maybe even different interfaces) or possibly making certain weapons only available for each teams.

+weapons editor that changes parameters besides damage, things like:
-ROF
-Bullet Arc
-Bink
-Recoil
-Bullet Spread
-Bumber fo shots fired
-Clip size
-Reload time
-Bullet speed
-recoil angle (to make guns whose bullets bounce around, that would be cool) 0-90 (degrees)
-single shot reloading 0/1 (like shotgun)
-Scope 0/1
-Scope distance
-Tracer flash probabality

+Bullet trails in bullet time, heck in any time actually

+Console commands for:
-Game speed
-Gravity
-etc.

+This for gosteks: http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=22906

+dynamic lighting from the muzzle flashes, so that anything close to the flash will light up (soldiers, polygons, textures, etc.)

+random muzzle flashes for each weapon, so that not every single shot looks the same.

Feedback, please

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 2:09 pm
Finally! Ye'es! You've realy done it this time Michal =D I LOVE the two different gosteks for the two different teams. I have a couple questions about it though.

1. How do you choose the different gosteks for the different teams
2. will it be your decision what you look like, will it be an automatic thing according to witch team color you join. Or is it completely random and you have no choice in it :p

And about the shortcut to the mods, got a couple quiestions

1. so you mean all I have to do is setup all the folders for my mod like they usally would be and click the shortcut and it installs?
2. If I have more than one weapon option for the same weapon, will I have to Manually put that other replacement in? Or I dont know if you have ever seen them but some chaps have made configurators, will those still work with this new version?

Also, love all the new "weapon-2.bmp". Great job

MOFO NOFO
July 7, 2005, 2:59 pm
i cant wait for the first cs mod for 1.2.2, I COULD ALSO HAVE THAT WW2 REMAKE TOURNAMENT :D:D:D

1question: You said you can use ANY fony, does this include gothical fonts and stuff(with the curls and stuff) because this could lead to me making a mod.

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 5:05 pm
quote:- different files for weapon muzzle fires
the new files are: ak74-fire.bmp, bow-fire.bmp and chainsaw.fire (blank for default), colt1911-fire.bmp (socom), flamer-fire.bmp, minigun-fire.bmp, ruger77-fire.bmp, law-fire.bmp, m79-fire.bmp, mp5-fire.bmp, m249-fire.bmp, spas12-fire.bmp, steyraug-fire.bmp.

I LOVE YOU~!!!

Goofy_92
July 7, 2005, 5:14 pm
1. But how about an "button thingy" to the "options" menu, where you could change the mod, so you wouldn't have to run them by parameter?
2. The flames? You mean the old plomyk.bmp? Or flamer's flame?
3. So you can put e.g. Russian into Soldat?
4. How do other players see the fonts online? (if they're e.g. Hindi, Russian, Japanase) Or will it have "font packs"
5. When you have two gostek folders, you can make alpha team look like e.g. Ville's coke cans and bravo team to look like the normal guys or something?
6. Hmm... How about different frames for muzzle flashes that they would look more realistic? Or coding them to e.g. get bigger and disappear in half of a second at the same time?

My questions... :/

EDIT:
7. Why is this thread in Soldat Interface Maker > General Discussions?
EDIT2:
8. How about an ability to change the colors for the headgear and parachute?

OFFTOPIC!
Sorry mates! I'll pause my mod, I will continue it when the new version is released, because Soldat will then have new files and it's easier to make a mod when you know the files!

Michal Marcinkowski
July 7, 2005, 6:19 pm
I'm only answering questions about this topic :).

quote:+ can there be 2 different weapon sets for different teams? (graphical change only, like different weapons-gfx, interface pics, maybe even different interfaces) or possibly making certain weapons only available for each teams.
Not in this version, maybe next time.

quote:2. The flames? You mean the old plomyk.bmp? Or flamer's flame?
Flamer flames, because now it uses just the explosion animations.

quote:5. When you have two gostek folders, you can make alpha team look like e.g. Ville's coke cans and bravo team to look like the normal guys or something?
That's exactly what it is meant for.

quote:1. How do you choose the different gosteks for the different teams
Teams 1 and 3 use gostek files from Soldat/Gostek-gfx
Teams 2 and 4 use gostek files from Soldat/Gostek-gfx/Team2

About fonts: you can change them to any true type font you like, I think it is possible to make russian, I haven't tested it really, I don't have much fonts.

quote:Sorry mates! I'll pause my mod
That's why I posted here so you don't pause making your mod. You know how it is gonna look like, just make the files and wait for the 1.2.2 release.

-Claw-
July 7, 2005, 6:28 pm
Omg, this pwns :)

Goofy_92
July 7, 2005, 6:29 pm
@Michal Marcinkowski
Nope, I'll wait. It's just easier when you are used to the files to mod. "You didn't answer all the questions! >:)"

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 8:21 pm
Well...bah..just a suggestion don't ass coldfusion's weapon mod, it's sh!t...let it how it is.
Btw I wanted to ask...can you minimize the lags and bugs ? seriously..My internet connexion in 20mb/sec, and even on 100 mb servers I lag/bug a lot...
and funnily 1.2 had less lags/bugs..

Yakirx
July 7, 2005, 8:25 pm
Well i got some question to ask ..

If i had a mod already can i install it without any problems like in the currect version?
2.I Thought about 1 more weapon that can be add after like 3 hours of playin soldat.. flametrhow :o.
like a secendery weapon thats could be nice.

3.You think you can add a higher level and smarter bots,more colors and more options?

4.Thats all, thanks and sorry for typos .-.

Keron Cyst
July 7, 2005, 9:40 pm
I thought 1.2.2 would also have a weapon editor in which you could actually edit raw attributes & statistics of the weapons.

damnnation
July 7, 2005, 9:41 pm
wow really nice, good job now when's the next version comming, naahh i can wait :p

y0da
July 7, 2005, 9:43 pm
ave MM! New version, new version, new version, new version...

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 9:58 pm
when will you make some new weapons, like M16 with "burst mode" and "single mode"? imho Soldat 1.2.1 was the best, since v.1.0.5b

Goofy_92
July 7, 2005, 9:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Marvolowhen will you make Soldat 3d?:D

One hundred times asked, I think that he doesn't make it 3D. It's "A 2D Multiplayer shooter by Michal Marcinkowski". ;)

Unlucky 13
July 8, 2005, 7:37 am
- mods will be located in a folder in Soldat\Mods example Soldat\Mods\GummyBears,
that folder will have the same structure as the folder \Soldat.
The mods will be run by parameter: Soldat.exe -mod GummyBears,
so you can make a shortcut.

That sounds good, I like this one a lot, no more need for mod choosers.

- different files for flame animation
Located in: Sparks-gfx\flames
files: explode1.bmp ... explode16.bmp

Yes! Yes! I love this! No more weird flame graphic!

- it will be possible to use custom fonts to replace bgothl.ttf and lucon.ttf

Sounds good, and most likely will become a good modding capability.

- added files "m2-2.bmp" and "bow-2.bmp" so these weapons don't have to be symmetrical

This is good, more modding potential!

- different files of gostek for second team (possibility of two different looking teams)
This is important so be sure to add the second gostek files to your mod, they don't have to be different they just have to be there.
They are placed in the folder Soldat\Gostek-gfx\team2. That folder holds the same gostek and ranny files as Soldat\Gostek-gfx

Yes! This would be great! I wonder what type of mods that will spawn? Counter Terrorists vs Terrorists, Mecha vs Alien, Human vs Zombie! Yes! I love it!

- different files for weapon muzzle fires

Sounds good, I like this one. Skilled modders could put this to good use!

Fangus Deef
July 8, 2005, 10:02 am
yay. you might just get me back into soldat, mike :P

why 2 teams instead of 4? :P

why not have 2 different weapon mods available? would make henchin the ULTIMOD

will there be any abilities to add effects if there is in fact a weapons editor comming out? like say you want to make a gun that when fired made a large smoke cloud come from the weapon, would such a thing be possible?
if so, how many different ways will such effects/etc be able to be implemented?

Goofy_92
July 8, 2005, 11:51 am
Hmm... It should be nice if eevery team could have different gosteks! Like in Team Deathmatch.

Pixofied
July 8, 2005, 12:49 pm
I don't see at the moment what two different gosteks could do. Except, if your going to make it like in CS (CSForce vs Terrorists). Guess i'll just have to wait and see (New game mode?). Also it'll be very easy to change my Gostek Editor for use with this, and also my Interface Editor.

- I give you two weeks before it released... :P

Deleted User
July 8, 2005, 1:46 pm
quote:Yes! This would be great! I wonder what type of mods that will spawn? Counter Terrorists vs Terrorists, Mecha vs Alien, Human vs Zombie! Yes! I love it!

Well, In my Spec ops mod, you can put terrorist and spec ops ond diff teams. thats what I'm doin when this puppy come out =D Also you could put my axis officer and allied g.i on different teams. Oh man, this is gunna me so cool =D

Also, michal, would it be possible to add a small smoke cloud like mentioned when the shotgun fires? I think that would be awesome

Goofy_92
July 8, 2005, 1:49 pm
Oh yeah, I actually didn't notice that, it would be great for my mod! The Finland's Army vs. Martians! Martians attack to Finland! ^^

papasurf31
July 8, 2005, 3:51 pm
Answer my questions please!!!

Atybrc
July 8, 2005, 4:08 pm
Need to add
1)ability to download mods from server, like textures and maps
2)ability to download PLAYER ANIMATION from server!!!
3)server can enforce to use models that are set up on it
4)ability to "block colors" for models, hair,skin etc.(players won't be able to make head andy body transparent)
5)players could be able to choose some of the server model "color skins" for each team shown like weapons menu (but models are the same, like animation).
6)team names could by the server, for example teams alpha and bravo could be named as Terrorist And counter-terrorists.

For example if server has ProCtf Mod, in which team1 has red uniform (pants and shirt, helmet)
and team2 has blue uniform, so players are enforced to play with this mod, but the have ability to choose "color skins" of the models
which are allowed by the server (special menu looking like weapons menu. it can be up to 10 diffrent color skins. Hair, headgear is configured by the player

For example CSSoldat mod
-diffrent models for teams are downloaded from server
-for each model color skins are downloaded from server
-for each model animation are downloaded from server
so each players entering the server with installed mod, automaticaly download it and play with it enforced.If models and animation will be nice, players will only be happy of it.

I think that this small list, will help in developing soldat further and players will be able to make their own rules for the game.
(i don't think that it's hard to make such small additions to the game)
mods should be save in some directory like soldat/mods/CSSoldat/ files should be checked by checksum or some other thing, if they're okey player don't need to download them again.

sry for bad English :)

Keron Cyst
July 8, 2005, 4:42 pm
@papasurf3: what questions?
I like your #6 idea, Atybrc ;-)

All the modders are probably feeling Michal's sig. right now and dreaming xP

IlIdan
July 8, 2005, 6:48 pm

One question.

Can we edit the Mainmenu color?

I didn't like the style.

Michal
July 8, 2005, 9:24 pm
These new possibilities sound great.
Switching mods with the new method is good, I hate having to replace my files.

A question about the new mods folder: Will mods need to have the whole contents of the soldat folder, or only the things that will be replaced?

All these new features sound awesome, I'm really looking foreward to the next version.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 8, 2005, 9:28 pm
quote:Will mods need to have the whole contents of the soldat folder, or only the things that will be replaced?
Only the things that are new.

papasurf31: those aren't questions:).

Fangus Deef
July 8, 2005, 9:29 pm
answer my questions dag nab it >:P

Deleted User
July 8, 2005, 10:58 pm
will there be any other intro support rather than just intro.sdm (like in real mods-maybie just avi or something)?

and custom music with the intro

papasurf31
July 9, 2005, 12:35 am
Ah, of course. My question is: will the things mentioned on that extensive list ever be possibly implemeted and if so, when?

caliber
July 9, 2005, 1:17 pm
OMG Awesome 1.2.2 is just gonna own.

Deleted User
July 9, 2005, 8:50 pm
Yea! Can't w8. MM = better functions for modders + better soldat | Good modders = better soldat.
Hmm , now I must respect u MM. I thought that u don't do for soldat nothing for a long time.
It was very big mystake and I apologyze...

Pr0ger
July 10, 2005, 2:42 am
what about net code? soldat eat more traffic 7mb in hour. bad for russian.

Deleted User
July 10, 2005, 2:47 am
wait mm!!! can you set up the weapons-gfx so guns like the bren lmg can have a proper clip?

[IMAGE]
(the bottom one).

Keron Cyst
July 10, 2005, 3:10 am
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31Ah, of course. My question is: will the things mentioned on that extensive list ever be possibly implemeted and if so, when?

Uh...

quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski
... quote: can you tell us what you have done so far?
The things that I wrote :).

Date? I'm thinking mid-late Summer, but that's just me.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 10, 2005, 2:38 pm
quote:can you set up the weapons-gfx so guns like the bren lmg can have a proper clip?
No not yet.

Darkfist007
July 10, 2005, 5:32 pm
Great ideas man, keep up the good work. ^_^

Fangus Deef
July 10, 2005, 11:55 pm
it is a rather ingenious way you set up the weapons and gostek graphics, but for mod-ability, it's not the best way. still, it's better than i woulda done, i'd have twices as many files as soldat :P

MOFO NOFO
July 11, 2005, 12:51 am
i would put 2 seperate files for each weapon, facing< and >

SPARTAN_III
July 11, 2005, 2:33 am

THANK YOU MASTER!!!

i dont really like the new mod idea cos i use a configurator thingy, can we still do it the old way?

KeFear
July 18, 2005, 12:56 pm
Haha, cool! Looks like my suggestion was good enought :]

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=20226

Meandor
July 18, 2005, 2:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by SPARTAN_III
i dont really like the new mod idea cos i use a configurator thingy, can we still do it the old way?

Yes, you can.

SPARTAN_III
July 19, 2005, 3:10 pm
thanks for clearing that up, meandor.

i feel honoured. the great MM added my suggestion.

Selknam
July 21, 2005, 2:07 am

Any questions besides when will this version be out?

Can you do something with the chainsaw ?... i still think that gun isnt competite. Something like the ability to throw it in a very short distance while it still working and killing :$

Would you put more diferents skins to choose?, things wich can make my soldier more diferents from others, but still with the colors of the teams (in case of ctf)

plz fix bugs, especially fix shooting throw walls with barret and nades.

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 3:19 am
... And the possibility of including in next soldat version, the nickname player register IN the client????

Meandor
July 21, 2005, 8:43 pm
This is not the place to suggest new features, Trapo.

Zero72
July 21, 2005, 9:10 pm
Here's a question. You mentioned you can run Soldat with a mod using a parameter, but does the game actually just use those files from the mod folders in that particular session, or does it actually install the mod to the main folder before running?

In other words, would the mod you ran with the perameter command still be there if you ran Soldat normally next time?

Hope I'm making sense.

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 9:35 pm
No Zero72. The -mod parameter is there so you can try mods without losing your normal soldat files or having to make back up files.

Keron Cyst
July 21, 2005, 10:01 pm
Awesome, we can just make multiple shortcuts linking to Soldat.EXE with parameters leading to different mods! B-)

Deleted User
July 25, 2005, 2:48 pm
OMFG! This pwns so hard!

-TomPenny-
July 26, 2005, 1:51 pm
I quote: "Any questions besides when will this version be out?"
Yes..
When will you fix the god damn netcode?

Rambo_6
July 26, 2005, 5:51 pm
I've already begun preparign for the next soldat. I've created another set of gosteks for my mod. I've created a Mods folder inmy soldat directory.

And i have begun making alternate fire-gfx for my guns :D

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 26, 2005, 9:51 pm
You continue to surprise me MM, great job.

- Tek -
July 26, 2005, 11:43 pm
All I'm concerned about for mods is placement of the gfx. Sometimes if you make a mod for a gun too large, the ones side may looks correct, but the reverse places the guns too high.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
July 27, 2005, 1:15 am
I know what you mean Tek, it would be great to have that fixed. Too bad this isn't a place for suggestions :P

July 27, 2005, 2:10 am
This would work soooooooooooooooooooo well with FM BM's Special operations mod...

Just a question, did u fix the errors with the gostek placement?