( search forums )
better realistic rendering
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
July 13, 2005, 3:22 pm
realistic mode has this really annoying problem in which it is very weak at determining when you do and when you do not see the enemy.
i ain't THAT much of a programmer - but what about creating some sort of viewing angle thingy that is aimed with 80 degrees away from both sides of the actual directino that you're looking at (mouse pointer), not just 180 degrees left or right, and everything outside that angle is darkened out (so you know you're not looking at it).
perhaps this would be achieved much easier if a pseudo map (of course not seen) is developed at the start of each level, only carrying information on where you are - so that IT can render what you see... or i might just be talking bs...

Michal
July 13, 2005, 5:59 pm
Yeah, I would really like to have some sort of visual indicator of what I can and can't see in realistic mode.
Sometimes I forget about the realistic line of sight and I end up getting killed :x

Deleted User
July 13, 2005, 8:34 pm
What ? No...
...or , maybe , but only v 80 angle ??? I want more, look how u can see. It's much more then 80.
I think...

The @venger
July 13, 2005, 8:34 pm
dosnt sound like ur used to realistic, its natural to me.
michal, u like engrish.com? its teh worlds best site!

zyxstand
July 14, 2005, 2:27 am
dude - 80 degrees to each side - so total of 160
and although you see 180, the outer sides you can only barely really see - and you can't really identify what it is...

Aegis
July 14, 2005, 5:08 am
I fully support this sort of thing - I think Realistic could use a lot of improvements. The only objection I have is that Realistic and Survival are still full of little bugs - and since this visual effect isn't as serious a problem as the bugs, they should come first.
That and the current system works just fine.

rabidhamster
July 14, 2005, 7:49 pm
i've wanted this ever since i started playing soldat...