( search forums )
AngerrrRRAAAWRR!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
Captain Ben
July 16, 2005, 12:35 pm
In my almost late night rampaging, I've thought about one of the things that irritates me the most that irritates me alot.

INTERNET ABBREVIATIONS

On a computer, it's fine. I couldn't give half a damn when people type like, 'lol ur good ns' while on SMS, MSN, AIM or Soldat. I don't care about it on the forums, either.

But what really gets my blood boiling, is when, in real life, people use godforsaken internet abbreviations on paper.
I've noticed at school, with notes and such being passed around and such.

Example:

Hey Katie,
so i herd u dumped jake yesterday lol. i always hated him. so r the rumors tru? r u really goin 2 ask m@ owt 2moro? hes so hot!

lots o luv,

A GIRL THAT CAN'T KEEP HER DAMN ABBREIATIONS IN MSN.
^all fixed!

I don't know why it gets on my nerves so much as it does, but I absolutely hate it.
1 133+ p30p7e \/\/1-10 12341) +1-11$ \/\/177 p05+ 711<3 +1-11$...

Vijchtidoodah
July 16, 2005, 12:49 pm
Perhaps you don't understand the point of writing or typing like that: it saves time and effort.

You don't look at shorthand or notes and think, "This student is a retard." Why? Because although both notes and internet abbreviations are an easy way to get tons of information down quickly into a small space, you associate notes with scholars whereas you associate internet abbreviations with immature adolescents. But when you think about it, there isn't really much difference. It's just the way that you look at it, the way that society has trained you to think.

Contrarily, I hate "Leet Speek" because it serves the completely opposite purpose of notes -- it's supposed to slow you down and make you feel as if you're not "leet" for not being able to read or write it quickly; the creation of false elitism, without any attempt to obscure the motive. Again, society at it's best.

Captain Ben
July 16, 2005, 1:01 pm
Up there is a stereotype of mine. You are right Vijcht, typing like that does save time and effort, but for an abbreviation, such as 'u' compared to 'you', does it really take that much longer?

@ and at?
luv and love?
tru and true?
r and are?

I mean, I use abbreviations in while doing SMS's and such, considering you don't want to have to send two SMS text messages instead of one. But at our school recently, a year twelve girl wrote a whole essay in abbreviations.

That's not just crossing the line, that's ust stomping on it. But then again, us Australians can get pretty retarded.

b00stA
July 16, 2005, 1:16 pm
Either you use 1337 because you think it is cool or you use it to mock the ones that think it is cool.
www.megatokyo.com kind of shows that.

Abbreviations like the ones Captain Ben mentioned are plain s2pid.
I think people who write like that just use the whole "it takes less time" as an excuse.

Deleted User
July 16, 2005, 1:20 pm
I always use proper english in everything i do, makes me sound good :P.....except those little faces

Felix
July 16, 2005, 1:23 pm
I don't like that sms language, looks too childish.

Milkman Dan
July 16, 2005, 1:25 pm
Yeah, people send text messages that just do NOT make any sense. If people took the time to use predictive text it makes things so much easier or just call and it saves time >:O

Captain Ben
July 16, 2005, 1:29 pm
I've tried to do that for about two years now, and I cannot suss out the predictive text.
But all of this reminds me of Ali G's movie.
'c0nnect da b82rez'

LazehBoi
July 16, 2005, 1:56 pm
Something tells me that it is too hard for others to speak properly.
Since when was any chat system a race? There is no need for them to see your message one second faster. Hell, it probably takes them two seconds to read it.

mickle89
July 16, 2005, 2:29 pm
quote:Hey Katie,
so i herd u dumped jake yesterday lol. i always hated him. so r the rumors tru? r u really goin 2 ask m@ owt 2moro? hes so hot!

I sense something queer about this message. If a guy is writing the letter then at the end he's saying that Jake is so hot.

If it's a chick then she's asking if Kate is asking her out tommorow.

Please - all the christians out there, where have your ways of normal life gone?

Captain Ben
July 16, 2005, 2:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by Captain Ben
Example:
Hey Katie,
lots o luv,
A GIRL THAT CAN'T KEEP HER DAMN ABBREIATIONS IN MSN.

A girl is asking another girl if she is asking out *Jake '2moro'.

eagleclaw364
July 16, 2005, 2:32 pm
An essay in abbreviations? That's just idiotic.
Predictive text pisses me off. It always gives me wrong words and stuff, so I just type as I normally would on a PC.

n00bface
July 16, 2005, 2:32 pm
Hey mickle!

There, now that we've spoken I can finally tell people I've spoken to the most illiterate person on the planet!

TheFunktopus
July 16, 2005, 2:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Milkman DanYeah, people send text messages that just do NOT make any sense. If people took the time to use predictive text it makes things so much easier or just call and it saves time >:O

My friends play games with predictive text. Like, who gets the longest word. One of them sounded like a german dish :D.

I tried using predictive text..it sucked, actually.

Weapon Damage = Zebron Danaie.

mickle89
July 16, 2005, 5:11 pm
I don't get the letter still. What does m@ read as?

Aha, got it. The girl is asking if the other girl is asking out Jake for her. I saw it the other way as if the girl was wondering if the other girl was going to ask her out.

Now im no the illiterate one here n00bface. Katie's friend is the illiterate person. Damn you Katie's friend!

Bugger this!

Twinkler
July 16, 2005, 5:15 pm
@=at
m@=mat
mat=Matt, or Matthew

Vijchtidoodah
July 16, 2005, 9:19 pm
Let me clarify something: although I don't care whether or not someone uses those abbreviations on the Internet, it still bugs the hell out of me. And yes, it is to save time, despite the fact that they are barely saving any and it's terribly difficult for people like me to read, let alone tolerate because I absolutely hate it when people can't spell correctly or use proper grammar (you all know this).

However, using those same abbreviations in an essay is downright moronic. I can see the point of using them as you pass notes along to friends, but, just like Newspeak, writing like a twelve-year-old makes you think like a twelve-year-old, and there's no excuse for that kind of intentional idiocy.

LumpyFerret
July 17, 2005, 5:59 am
u r all 10073rz

eagleclaw364
July 17, 2005, 12:52 pm
looterz? Or am I reading that wrong?

Deleted User
July 17, 2005, 5:09 pm
I'm so 8456

papasurf31
July 18, 2005, 1:18 pm
basg? wtf is that?