( search forums )
CTF_Dunes (my first map)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 2:37 am
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/CTF_Dunes Preview.3.JPG[/IMG]

[URL]

The map is finished but not yet waypointed. If people download it and want me to waypoint it i will. If you find any bugs with the polygons or anything please let me know.

AWH_ReApEr
July 19, 2005, 2:57 am
VijchtiDoodah's Shading Tutorial.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 3:38 am
Lmao reaper you really go off about Shading dont you? That is actually pretty good for a first map, much better then MY first anyways..well actually my first map which was a DM wasnt that bad at all, the gameplay was awesome.

Anyways, he has a point. Youve made your first map, now its time to learn how to do it the pro way. If you dont know how to shade yet, read the tut that reaper just gave. Shading will make your map look much better, more realistic, and you'll get a better rating and better feed back when releasing maps.

About making a map downloadable, you need to upload them onto a server. Some people around here are willing to host maps, or you could use some free webhost to host the map on. I suggest attempting to shade the map before you put it up for download. It will look ALOT better.

One more thing, maybe adding a hole in the 2nd layer wouldnt hurt - or making some poly obstacles at the bottom to make getting from one side to the other harder, but in a sense easier. Thats just my opinion anyways.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 4:12 am
I found out how to let people download it but i want someone to test it for bugs or waypoint it for me before i let people download it. so if anyone can test it or waypoint it for me please let me know.

AWH_ReApEr
July 19, 2005, 5:30 am
You could just test it yourself. All you have to do, really, is walk allong the ground (not jumping or anything) and see if you get caught anywhere or if you randomly get launched into the air. Remember to go back and forth a couple times to make sure you got every part of it from every possible angle.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 5:36 am
i can waypoint it if noone else will. ill do it tommorow or the next day if i have time. looks great for a first.

Rambo_6
July 19, 2005, 5:55 am
An interesting map. Some pointers:

1. There's a low level of contrast between the background and the polygons... Maybe try changign the background to a nice orange sunset?
2. Shading, as previously noted.
3. Layout - some areas will be more prone to spamming/camping. (Ie the platform above the flags) I can suggest that you try perhaps adding some platform to the flag area for more protection..
4. Chunky polygons - This comes with practice. Try adding more polygons to make areas smoother.
5. Waypointing - not necessary, but any independent mapper should look into learning how to waypoint. Relying on other people to waypoint your map is... No fun.

Hope this helps.

sbu-spyvin
July 19, 2005, 11:33 am
Looks very nice for the first map u create ;)
Great job but u need to learn shading ;)

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 2:51 pm
I tried waypointing my map but the waypoints wouldnt connect i held shift but no lines showed up.

Swebonny
July 19, 2005, 2:53 pm
Pretty nice!

Boxo
July 19, 2005, 3:22 pm
It's OK for your first map, but has a lot of weak points. Here's some criticism:

- The background color is too light, and doesn't contrast enough with the map.
- There's not really much shading at all.
- The scenery is looks dull, there's too little of it, and it should be placed more variably; try the different depth levels, tranpsarency and colour setting, and scretch some of. There shouldn't be scenery that's too easy to hide behind, like those bushes. The bunkers look pretty stupid, too.
- The route desing: The lowest route is pretty much the only one that will be used, it's the fastest and easiest the whole upper part is pretty pointless.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 4:12 pm
I started to redo almost all of the polygons (because some areas werent flat) and move and change the senery i took out the very bottom layer also.-I also changed the background color.

sbu-spyvin
July 19, 2005, 8:00 pm
Put the flag more in the middle because i think every1 will come from the bottom because that is the easyst and fasted way to get the flag

Keron Cyst
July 19, 2005, 9:27 pm
Put the flags on the middle ledges of each team instead of the bottom areas and also put spawn points at the bottom & top.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 9:49 pm
i like your scenery, i barely have any on my first map