( search forums )
Adds ingame
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 9:56 am
Summary at end
There have been many talks about how MM could get extra money from soldat. well i have a ingenious idea. how about there be Adds ingame, like on a map it could have billboards or there could be can machines from a certain company. this not only would provide a small income but also add to realism . these adds would only be in maps, and would be in official maps and optional in custom maps ( like all scenery ).
Basicly MM , looking at it in a strictly marketing perspective, you propose to a company that they could have a small add in a game that is played by an average of (add number of players here) from around the world, the equivalent to a small radio channel. this add would only cost them ( add small amount of money ) a month. you could also explain that the adds would be constantly viewed and that the viewers are from many different areas adding to the area of exposure
This would espeically be appealing to internet companies with products that are targetedd at the target audience of soldat Or large international companies like coca-cola that would be happy to pay a small amount of money to fund an online game that is played by an average amount of people as those who listen to a radio channel.
its just a small idea that could make MM some extra cash.

Summery.
put adds as scenery ingame to give MM some extra money.

Zero72
July 19, 2005, 7:05 pm
No.

wunderbear
July 19, 2005, 7:11 pm
do you mean, "Ad"s?

not adds?

Just looks like you're some sort of maths fetishist.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 7:12 pm
HELL
quote:Originally posted by Zero72No.
!!!11

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 9:19 pm
uhhh not as scenery,...good lord no..camping in bushes that say "Soldat, the worlds best 2d multiplayer action game!"

adds would be fine..just not in game

DerF-
July 19, 2005, 9:20 pm
Keep Soldat independent.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 9:21 pm
how would that give MM extra money?
edit-why would companies wnat to give MM any money for a little bit of scenery in a multiplayer game? doesnt make any sense to me

person
July 19, 2005, 9:36 pm
"how would that give MM extra money?"

Well... they pay him to advertise their products in his game. I'm for the idea, if they were placed appropriately. I mean, say you're on a city map and a poster on the wall says "Pepsi".. I mean, it's not out of place.

The contract would say they, for example, have the right to place an ad in a certain number of maps of their choice (either old or new), but definetly not all maps.

I just don't think anyone would be willing to advertise in the game.

EDIT:
Ha, they could even add in a command, say: /pepsi and the guy takes out a can of the stuff and drinks it, while a sound says some advertisement crap.. that could be something funny to see. Or something.

Good idea.

DT
July 19, 2005, 9:47 pm
advertizements on a map?
Seriously... stop taking to many jello shots
If thier was going to be advertizements it would be on the website...

person
July 19, 2005, 9:51 pm
If you think about it, more people are going to be exposed at a rate which is more likely to affect them in-game. It's not like the game will cease being the creator's personal product or change gameplay; it will just add a visual concept that may affect a players desire for something, and add a little cash for the game's proprietor.

edit:
hell, because so few games do it, it may even cause more publicity for the game.

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 19, 2005, 10:12 pm
Person: This forum's population is mainly dominated by teenagers, and the normal, average teenagers are NOT corperate sellouts. Imagine playing in a map, and in the middle of the polygon theres a giant Pepsi can? I appreciate your respect for the game and to want to reward MM for his work, but adverts are not the answer. How about Registering? Its only 9$, and those add up. If you've got the money, you can pay your respects to him that way.

person
July 19, 2005, 10:21 pm
Well, like I said, I'd prefer tasteful advertisements. And as advertisements do, they may persuade anyone to purchase the companies product... it doesn't matter what age you are, a company can design a delivery mechanism that will work. I do understand a little about the industry... Even those who are solely into underground death metal are persuaded by ads, even if it's as simple as someone's preference of coke over pepsi (I'm liking the cola examples this morning, hey?).

And I play on a registered copy currently.

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 20, 2005, 1:19 am
Well, of course, every group can be persuded, but the thing is, do we really want to see logos? Oh look, this otherwise well shaded landmass is now covered by a giant Nike Logo, or, maybe a McDonalds in Arena 3 where the 2 houses are? I hated it when Need for Speed Underground 2 sold out to Best Buys and Burger King, and you see like 50 Best Buys and Burger Kings everywhere you go. It doesn't make a game more realistic, it just cheapens the experience and takes away the whole reason we play games: To experience something differient from our world.

person
July 20, 2005, 2:02 am
well, to each their own.

Deleted User
July 20, 2005, 5:05 am
gay.

Deleted User
July 20, 2005, 6:27 am
agreed dascoo, out with the ad's

GAMEOVER
July 20, 2005, 7:09 am
I came from a game that at one time was a 1 time fee and your activated for life, all sounds good etc etc.. played 3 years (still do) and all of a sudden a new status is added for those who re-register their accts. Bottem line theyd get a tiny edge over other norm registered users and the game is now falling apart half the game left due to it. I guess what im tryin to say is soldat is a great game I registered about a month ago and have been playin everyday. If the game ever wound up pay-to-play or bending corners around it to generate more revenue lots would probably stop playing it as they did in this other game. Why would people pay for this and that when they can buy counter strike or w/e and play it forever online for free. Soldat is bad ass dont get me wrong just dont think it would help it. If he needs more revenue very best thing he could do is to make a post saying hey guys im in financial trouble if anyone can donate a little somethin somethin itd be greatly appreciated. That alone would probably drum up a nice chunk of change. Something should be done with all the free loaders though should make Soldat only free for the 1st month, if they wanna play after that dont make em register it after the 1st month but severly handicap em to torture em and make em want to register. Im sure after someone plays for a month theyd know if this is a game they could get into or not, damn free loaders..

Captain Ben
July 20, 2005, 7:17 am
Lol, this reminds me of the Super Nintendo's Biker Mice from Mars. When ever they won the race, they'd stand on the tripod-winner thing holding a Snicker's bar, going, "Even winners need to satisfy their hunger!" But I always wondered... Snickers come from the same company that does Mars Bars. Biker Mice from Mars? Mars Bars?

Bottom line... You want adds? Make a map and put it in the scenery.

MOFO NOFO
July 20, 2005, 10:33 am
how about put a single popup in the forums, so many people go into the forums.

Captain Ben
July 20, 2005, 10:49 am
^ What? ^
Do you you mean a link to the forums from the website? Nay I say! We will get more strangers!

Deleted User
July 20, 2005, 10:56 am
god now i have to make a new account. it sounded like a good idea at the time, honestly it did