( search forums )
automatic/random map generator
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
UltraMagnus
July 19, 2005, 3:50 pm
i dont know if anyone remembers the classic game "worms" but basically it was like soldat, only turn based and instead of soldiers had worms. anyhow, enough of that nostalgia!

what i am proposing is somthing like a feature from that game, what you could do is type in a code (randomly or one you remembered) and it would generate a map from that code.

another idea i had was a random map generator, where a map would be generated randomly, which could be quite interesting, as it would stop people adjusting to the maps in the cycle

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 5:16 pm
That would require lots of work and programming. And Michal is still only one man. Perhaps someone in the community could create a program that would function similarly.

Deleted User
July 19, 2005, 7:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by GeneralThat would require lots of work and programming. And Michal is still only one man. Perhaps someone in the community could create a program that would function similarly.

I agree with ya. And It would be a cool idea!

wunderbear
July 19, 2005, 7:36 pm
problem is, the maps are polygon based, while the worms maps were something else (pixel, perhaps?) A good idea would be maps like worms', with destructible terrain.

In fact, that just reminded me of this:

D.I.R.T.

( http://www.datarealms.com/ )

very fun game, if a bit wierd.

sbu-spyvin
July 19, 2005, 8:01 pm
That will be hell of a job.

Or just create 1.000.000 maps :p

Keron Cyst
July 19, 2005, 9:23 pm
I think just a Scramble function to prevent the maps from going in the way they were put onto the list would be enough. And Worms' terrain wasn't composed of complex polygons.

Dark_Noddy
July 19, 2005, 10:47 pm
The mapmakers source has been released long time ago ^^ (www.soldat.pl) Just start programming ;D if U can make it stable & beautifull I reckon MM might add it IN-GAME..

rabidhamster
July 20, 2005, 1:23 am
it would be sooooooooooooo hard to program... especially with poly shading, alignment, and a good distribution of open and closed areas. think about how many perameters would have to be set? my inner programmer is showing...

Deleted User
July 20, 2005, 11:01 am
good luck magnus, happy programming :P

UltraMagnus
July 20, 2005, 4:17 pm

i dont even know what language map maker was programmed in -_-,

rabidhamster
July 20, 2005, 6:18 pm
^that's what i thought...

Dark_Noddy
July 20, 2005, 11:27 pm
Delphi/Pascal rawr Gl to ya ^^

a-4-year-old
July 20, 2005, 11:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI think just a Scramble function to prevent the maps from going in the way they were put onto the list would be enough.

this would work better than a program that automaticaly made new maps

Keron Cyst
July 21, 2005, 2:14 am
Are you trying to be sarcastic? A random map generator would make maps you can't even navigate through.

Dark_Noddy
July 21, 2005, 12:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystAre you trying to be sarcastic? A random map generator would make maps you can't even navigate through.

And why is that might I ask ? U DO have Jet in Soldat.. and anyways mostly anything is possible if U have the time and skills for it..