( search forums )
Nade Lag.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Swarmer
July 20, 2005, 10:15 pm
Nade lag is really starting to piss me off. I throw a gernade and it obviously hits them directly, and it explodes, but they just kinda ignore it and shoot me. Also, sometimes i throw a gernade to my left, and it goes really far away, and then it explodes. then suddenly, i die, and it says i killed myself. wtf is up with that? I know it happens, but I seem to get it every other throw. my ping is usually amongst the lowest in servers too. It ruins my ratio in U13.
anybody else have this problem this often?

Psyker
July 20, 2005, 10:43 pm
tell me about it.

Hoodlum
July 20, 2005, 10:44 pm
I have experienced this a few times.

It gets on my nerves.

__SnoOpy__
July 20, 2005, 11:01 pm
It shows "hit" in your screen but it actually didn't due to time difference caused by pings
just live with it..

Elemental
July 20, 2005, 11:10 pm
Make sure you finish your throw..so it doesnt explode in your face :o

Deleted User
July 20, 2005, 11:34 pm
It pisses me off too, it really does. I will throw 2 or 3 grenades at one guy and they'll all blow up in his face, but he either suffers NO damage or just a little. Then He will throw ONE damn grenade at me, then I instantly die. Ugh...and don't get me stared on the m79...

*fires m79 at enemy flag carrier*
*blows up in enemy flag carrier's face*
*enemy doesn't take damage and gets propelled forward*
*enemy scores*
NOOOOO!!!
*Takes m79, chucks it off a cliff*

3rd_account
July 21, 2005, 12:22 am
Roar! I can totaly relate to your pain, mister angry and swarmer. But from experiance of playing a lot of laggy games you have to hit the enemy a few pixels from where he appears on your screen. Say if you have a ping of 100, you have to hit him where he would be standing in 0.1 seconds. And for an enemy flag carrier running at full spead, that would be a significant amount of pixels, thus the differance between hiting him in the head and hiting behind his ass, giving him an excellent boost away.

So next time, mister angry. Try aiming about five pixels infront of the enemy. In worst case, you won't kill him but he will get a boost backwards, into the arms of chasing hunters.

Happy Camper
July 21, 2005, 4:02 am
that post was so damn funny 3rd, and inforative at the same time lol.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
July 21, 2005, 4:15 am
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_accountRoar! I can totaly relate to your pain, mister angry and swarmer. But from experiance of playing a lot of laggy games you have to hit the enemy a few pixels from where he appears on your screen. Say if you have a ping of 100, you have to hit him where he would be standing in 0.1 seconds. And for an enemy flag carrier running at full spead, that would be a significant amount of pixels, thus the differance between hiting him in the head and hiting behind his ass, giving him an excellent boost away.

So next time, mister angry. Try aiming about five pixels infront of the enemy. In worst case, you won't kill him but he will get a boost backwards, into the arms of chasing hunters.

exactly

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 7:36 am
solution get a better internet connection

Da cHeeSeMaN
July 21, 2005, 9:03 am
just live with the problem its not going to be solved

Swebonny
July 21, 2005, 10:06 am
Yepp o hate it too so damn,,,

DeMonIc
July 21, 2005, 10:13 am
Ah grenades, the true dominas of Soldat. Treat them with care, and they will win you your battles: treat them wrongly, and they will be cruel to you.
Other than what Skoskav pointed out, here's another thing that could help:

If you hit someone on the head with grenades, they will only die if they are around 60% health. Otherwise no or just minor damage. Shooting and grenading at the same time is helpfull though.
Body hits are unpredictable, sometimes they won't do any damage, sometimes they just injure. However if your enemy is in a proned state, one nade hit will kill him. Same happens if you hit the legs: so try throwing nades so your enemies step on them, or that your nades roll under their feet.

Hoodlum
July 21, 2005, 5:44 pm
Arrggggggg.

Today I was playing in U13 server and someone grabbed the flag so I hovered over them and dropped about 3 nades 2 hit him and 1 didn't do anything to him but the 2nd only harmed him a bit.

Swarmer
July 21, 2005, 6:13 pm
Yeah, I've pretty much decided that gernades are the best weapons in soldat. Its like a rapid fire M79 with adjustable range, time delay, and free ammo everywhere.

quote:solution get a better internet connection
my connection is great: i have about 50 ping most of the time, yet this always happens. Its the ENEMYS ping that matters.

nade lag happens to me ALL THE TIME. as in, %30 - %40 of my nades dont do damage. And, if you look at my stats on U13 east, (Saw 'n Nades) in my signature, you can see that nades count for over %70 of my kills. I can safely say that I've used more nades than any player (just check the server stats), and I've pretty much mastered nades except for thier lag. What bothers me is thier inconsistency. Half of the time, I can routinely get one or two MultiKillx2s per life, but 5 minutes later, I nade them just as accurately and well, but they dont do any damage. i think if there wasnt nade lag, my ratio would be well over 2:1 and id be in the top 25.

meh, dont think im whining or bragging, Im just saying its a lot bigger problem than you think, because I use about 8-16 nades per life, and so ive had a lot more opportunities to see nade lag. so i think its just as common for everyone, and its just that nades are my primary (and only ranged) weapon, so I've seen it a lot more.

I think this a serious problem than could be fixed. taking into account what 3rd_account said, the game could routinely check each persons ping and adjust the position of variables like people and bullets to a more averaged and accurate position, so it would be more accurate for everyone. So if person A has 100 ping the first second, 200 the next, 150 the third, his average ping for the 3 seconds is 150. The server would be continously doing this, not just every 3 seconds). Therefore, by calculating his velocity, it could guess his position .15 seconds from then, and draw him for everyone elses screen there instead. It would just be a calculated guess, so it may be foiled by erratic movements, but that could be solved by a finer resolution of ping checks. I have no idea if this is how it works, but its just an idea.

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 7:43 pm
1st of all, I like your signature, Demonic
2nd of all, I hate nade and m79 lag!
Solution 1: get to like the Barret m82a1 (YESSSSSSS)
solution 2: get better internet connection (kinda expensive but effective)
solution 3:Shot-Lead the opponent you are aiming at AKA= shoot in front of him a little bit (doesn't work too well but it is more effective than not leading them)
solution 4: Forget nades they suk anyway. (they really do)
solution 5: join the highest ping server you can find. (VERY effective)

Ok
July 22, 2005, 8:57 pm
Its not lag, its packet loss..
You this is annoying because it ruins your U13 ratio?
pffft well imagin a final match SCTFL or TNL or whatever ..
ITs 2-1 for you. you are about to win.
2 players come into your base, you throw nades at the flag, you shoot them with everything you've got.
they come into the nades area, walk over your nades then take the flag then the nades go off and gives them a boost insted of killing them.
So basicly the nades did go off, and it did effect them, but somehow u got killed but they got boosted....
and poof you lost a whole season thx to a single annoying bug.

Btw next time it happens to you ask where is that person from.
Mostly you'll get "Finland" :)

Swarmer
July 22, 2005, 9:02 pm
wtf doomdooer.
1: barrets have nothing to do with this
2: i already said my internet connection is fine. its not my connections fault.
3: its hard to lead your shots with hand gernades, but yes, this has been stated.
4: wtf, nades are one of the best, if not THE BEST, weapon in the game.
5: thats just dumb.

3rd_account
July 22, 2005, 10:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by OkIts not lag, its packet loss..
You this is annoying because it ruins your U13 ratio?
pffft well imagin a final match SCTFL or TNL or whatever ..
ITs 2-1 for you. you are about to win.
2 players come into your base, you throw nades at the flag, you shoot them with everything you've got.
they come into the nades area, walk over your nades then take the flag then the nades go off and gives them a boost insted of killing them.
So basicly the nades did go off, and it did effect them, but somehow u got killed but they got boosted....
and poof you lost a whole season thx to a single annoying bug.

Btw next time it happens to you ask where is that person from.
Mostly you'll get "Finland" :)

True. All TRUE!

Fins shouldn't be allowed to play... Those lucky chumbs.

Deleted User
July 22, 2005, 11:00 pm
It's pure skill ;)

Deleted User
July 22, 2005, 11:13 pm
Thats soooooooo pissing. I hate it too.
And if some1 throw on u nade and U don't see it and it blow under u and nothing happent and u only fly up. xD Thats call : ROFL

Judge_Man
July 23, 2005, 4:40 am
quote:my ratio would be well over 2:1 and id be in the top 25.

Why do you even care about a ratio.
Your nades probably do those things to you because you care about your "precious" ratio and they want to make you mad.
Ratio is nothing.
Ratio means nothing about a player's skill.
Stop worrying about your ratio and your nade will stop laggin.
Lol.

zyxstand
July 23, 2005, 5:45 am
here's another technically expressed reason for this most annoying problem:
as with ALL objects (loose weapons, bow, flag, and grenades, any boxes (health, grenades, power-ups), ragdolls (dead bodies), bullets) they are all cliently rendered. the server usually only tells the starting position and direction, speed etc. of these objects in hopes that the client's computer will render them exactly the same as the server does. This problem is mainly seen with grandes, however, since they are the only objects that actually roll around frequently.

ie: you got the red flag in ctf_kampf and are in the little hole in there, waiting for enemies to go away - one enemy sees you and throws a greande. you see the grenade still at the top slowly rolling downhill - however you calculate that at its current rate it will explode before falling down to you. anxiously, you wait for those 2 remaining seconds to pass when suddenly you die (in fire if you pay real close attention) and 1.3 seconds later, you see the greande explode up there just as you predicted. GRRRR

Swarmer
July 23, 2005, 6:20 am
meh, i dont care about my ratio that much, im just saying that it does indeed ruin my ratio. Nothing wrong with having something to show for your abilities.

Ok
July 23, 2005, 7:58 am
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandhere's another technically expressed reason for this most annoying problem:
as with ALL objects (loose weapons, bow, flag, and grenades, any boxes (health, grenades, power-ups), ragdolls (dead bodies), bullets) they are all cliently rendered. the server usually only tells the starting position and direction, speed etc. of these objects in hopes that the client's computer will render them exactly the same as the server does. This problem is mainly seen with grandes, however, since they are the only objects that actually roll around frequently.

ie: you got the red flag in ctf_kampf and are in the little hole in there, waiting for enemies to go away - one enemy sees you and throws a greande. you see the grenade still at the top slowly rolling downhill - however you calculate that at its current rate it will explode before falling down to you. anxiously, you wait for those 2 remaining seconds to pass when suddenly you die (in fire if you pay real close attention) and 1.3 seconds later, you see the greande explode up there just as you predicted. GRRRR

OH YES !!! I hate it when it happens...
Its (Please refrain from swearing)ing annoying, you develope your skills so much that you can tell when its going to explode and how and when, if used properly you can use the enemie's nade to boost yourself :)

The same annoying nade bug prevents me from doing the nade boost everyone started abusing so much, since the nade just won't explode in time, I see myself far from it, I see the nade explode far from me, then I land and poof I'm selfkilled.
and you know what's the funny part, previous versions had much less bugs such as this, they had others bugs but noticeble ones that you can proov by taking a screenshot or something.
In this version all you can do is yell "WTF???? DIE!!"
And then they call u a whiner, etc etc..

The big mystery is why the hell do the finnish players have less of those bugs and most of the bugs happen on them.

NavySeal
July 23, 2005, 10:53 am
Everytime I walk on a nade I die and had even full health, when I see other people walk on my nades do it they don't die, only happens a few times, but not much

3rd_account
July 23, 2005, 2:06 pm
This should have top prio in Michal's bugs.txt. ;)
"Whine" would be cut in half if nade lag was a thing of the past.

GAMEOVER
July 23, 2005, 5:38 pm
Hopefully somethings done about it in the upcoming version.

Ok
July 24, 2005, 1:39 am
Its a very hard bug to fix I reckon.
And I still don't get it, how come lag nade only got wrose with the versions...

MOFO NOFO
July 24, 2005, 3:31 am
Nade lag sucks, a good bug that i get is probebly spawning with2 primarys, though one of them has like low bulets.

"There is no spoone" - The Matricks
(pwned.nl rox lol)

crazymonkey
July 24, 2005, 4:28 am
Only kind of nade lag I like is the invi-nades, because I happen to be able to make them often. Don't know if that would be because of packet loss or lag though.

Darkfist007
July 24, 2005, 4:07 pm
Yeah the nades in 1.2.1 are wayyyyyyy worse then in any other version before, that I played. I only use nades when I either want to make ahuge explosion and do lots of damige over a large area, or if I want to kamikazi. Best way to use nades in my opinion, efc or some guy you just dont want ot kill you is coming throw all your nades, and roll into them at the perfect time, killing him and yourself, they dont get the points for killing you but you get the points for killing them. >.<