( search forums )
Play for "fun" - rings a bell?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Ok
July 21, 2005, 12:14 am
Alot of players in soldat misuse that term.
I mean, its not like any of us get paid to play Soldat, and I'm sure no one is using it for Sex practice.
Do you know anyone who is playing for any other reason then "fun"?
I mean, the word itself "Play" means its a game! and games are meant purely for fun!

Why is it, when someone loses over and over and then express his frustration he gets a "Play for fun" comment?
Would any of you play this game if you'll lose all the time?
Would you enjoy a round of soldat where you got to respawned more then you got to play?

Now after saying that, the problem as I see it consist within the factor which brings the fun for each and everyone of us.

So I'll write some features soldat provides and you can categorize yourself:
1- Enjoys the animations, the sounds, the mass blood and carnage that Soldat brings (a very good way to relax sometimes).

2- Enjoys the team work applied in some of the mods, the co-operation betwin 2+ players who can be in 2 different sides of the world, one in the middle of the night and the other at noon.

3- Enjoys the fact he's good at something and there for get a boost of confidence (in most cases a needed boost due to facts of life)

4- Enjoys pissing ppl off and seeing get frustrated, mostly a combination of #3 + some sadistic childish behaviour.

Now there's no need to deny it, I don't think there's a guy who enjoy only 1 of those fun factors, I enjoy the first 2 and the occasional #3 (mainly after I get my ass kicked in Starcraft-Broodwar)

But I just know some players actualy play for #3 and #4 purly.

At anyrate, we all play for fun, and we all whine from time to time (yes those who whine about whiners are whining as well).
Someone whines when he losses his fun, I actualy got some ppl who stopped doing what they are doing since I asked.
And I myself am doing it when there's a place to it (not when a barret user asks me to stop using an auto though).

I suggest before you pull out your "I'm so mature because I play for fun" try thinking why are you playing and why are u refusing to care about the other person's wishes.
Some of them actualy whine for the right reason and you both can gain something if you actualy come to an agreement (like I don't take barret and you don't take an auto)

Chakra`
July 21, 2005, 12:46 am
Man, even I don't make as many topics as you do.

I agree anyway ..with all that...stuff you said.

TIR_Blade
July 21, 2005, 3:18 am
lol didn't read it cuz it's a lot of ranting but ya *thumbs up :D

Psyker
July 21, 2005, 3:28 am
haha i love how you say it helps people with self-esteem because it's so true

rabidhamster
July 21, 2005, 3:55 am
here's a great way to have fun on a soldat server:
have someone who owns a server start a game with a 1440min. time limit (1 day), and have it cycle through all the original maps of that game mode. set the kill/point/capture limit to 9999. set the server to loop, friendly fire off, 5 second respawn at least, all weapons, 5 grenades. set the server message to something like, "[SERVER MESSAGE] Play for FUN".

btw, 1 and 2 for me...

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 7:02 am
Sadistic childhood behavior.....hmm....pissing people off...HMM!! >=)

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 7:33 am
im number 3, i dont need a confidence boost, i just like pissing people off

ThaD
July 21, 2005, 10:27 am
haha playing4fun is so ...fun :P

>>>2- Enjoys the team work applied in some of the mods, the co-operation betwin 2+ players who can be in 2 different sides of the world, one in the middle of the night and the other at noon.

what? cooperation? while such lag?^^

Destluck
July 21, 2005, 1:45 pm
I used to enjoy the game, but now I take it way too seriously. I still remember how much fun it was when I first found out how to shot a LAW with 4 of my friends and for the following 4-6 hours we did nothing but shoot LAW.

Belier13
July 21, 2005, 1:53 pm
Damn you ok stop making stupid post

Keron Cyst
July 21, 2005, 5:49 pm
I'm with Ok; first two, and occasionally three ;-)

[/off-topic]Belier13, what's up with you and Ok? Did you face off & flame-war against each other in the past or something?[/off-topic]

GunPowder
July 21, 2005, 6:35 pm
I play for "3- Enjoys the fact he's good at something and there for get a boost of confidence (in most cases a needed boost due to facts of life)" and "4- Enjoys pissing ppl off and seeing get frustrated, mostly a combination of #3 + some sadistic childish behaviour."
I really thought it was fun when i started playing the game months ago, but when i saw people playing a lot better than me and who always pwned me, I started playing in order to get stronger and beat others.

The @venger
July 21, 2005, 8:08 pm
when i play purely to fook around, i use to try and gather the 2 teams of a ctf game on the top of ctf maya, get them to not kill each other, and watch me do a /mercy or /brutalkil, its never worked before, though...

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 8:10 pm
Yes we all play soldat for "fun", but I know people that play for the sole purpose of flaming others and venting frustrations. Thats not really fun now is it. I play for fun and I wish people would stop saying they just play for fun!

Zero72
July 21, 2005, 8:21 pm
I'm definitely number 1. I'm not really what I would consider elite at the game (though certainly passable) and I never actively try to piss anybody off. There's just something about the feel of Soldat that I love; that's about it.

And Doomdooer's sig is way too huge.

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 8:32 pm
Yeah I know. I'm tryin to fix it.

Keron Cyst
July 21, 2005, 9:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by Doomdooer... I play for fun and I wish people would stop saying they just play for fun!
Haven't heard such a contradictory statement like that for a while xD

3rd_account
July 21, 2005, 11:28 pm
/me high fives other pure #2'ers.

Deleted User
July 21, 2005, 11:47 pm
I like just fooling around sometimes......

Grab a chainsaw and start choppin heads >:)

Ok
July 22, 2005, 1:39 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI'm with Ok; first two, and occasionally three ;-)

[/off-topic]Belier13, what's up with you and Ok? Did you face off & flame-war against each other in the past or something?[/off-topic]

I have no idea who he is :Never seen him before, when did he flame me?

Keron Cyst
July 22, 2005, 3:37 am
quote:Originally posted by Belier13Damn you ok stop making stupid post

Rambo_6
July 22, 2005, 6:05 am
When you start to take a game too seriously and stop having fun, it's no longer a game :/

MikeShinoda.pheonix
July 22, 2005, 6:41 am
I think that everyone takes this game way to seriously, including myself. I mean, why do I spend so much time making mods for this game? When I really think about it, I feel stupid that I put so much into this game. By far the best thing about this game for me is clans. Good teamwork, and cool people. As of late it has been very hard to find any good clans in soldat. It sucks, because that is the main reason that I play. Starting a clan is fun like, the first time. But after that, it's just a chore. I just cant play this game as much as I used to. The forums used to be a lot cooler too. Michal M probable laughs at us when he sees how much time we put into this game. I will definitly stick around for the new version, but I'm just not having fun anymore. It was nice having a game where I basically knew everyone. I welcome new people, but I would rather have it like it was before. After this new version, I seriously doubt that I will play soldat very much. The modding features seem nice, but like I said, it's a waste of my time. Maybe someone can relate to the way I feel.

Captain Ben
July 22, 2005, 6:56 am
I play for fun! Why would you play a game for... not fun?
/thinksofnoctis

Rambo_6
July 22, 2005, 7:03 am
I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that, including me.

I rarely play soldat much anymore... For me, the gameplay gets repetitive. I stick to servers that i know people in. (U13 is about it.) Soldat has been an outut for my creativity, but nowadays i'm getting less creative. that CTF_Turf map i made was probably one of my final maps. I really miss the old soldat days when the DNAgames server was up and running. My creativity boomed since i could playtest my maps online with people i know. Good times, good times.

Clans have never been my thing. As Zero72 said to me once, "I don't need a clan to validate my existence". I'm sure a lot of you don't join clans just for the popularity (i hope). Clans are all about gathering and having a kick@ss time. Not competing for the top of the ladder. (Well, i shouldn't say that. Some/most clans like to be competitive.)

Deleted User
July 22, 2005, 7:20 am
I still think Monopoly is worse than Soldat. I still have fun killing people. But in Monopoly, I usually bang my head into my table, gets way too annoying. :)

Deleted User
July 22, 2005, 7:23 am
i dont play soldat much unless im bored, but when i do i do for hours

Ok
July 22, 2005, 10:19 am
I can't think of a player that stayed and played this game for so long (I mean on regular bases) and did enter the clan world.
Maybe maps makers, moders etc managed to get themselfs busy with that, but someone who does nothing but playing the game, cannot enjoy it for long just on the killing factor.
This game is a PURE team work game, it allows you to see much more then other games allow you, the 2D allows you to see your whole team and the whole territory! thus you can apply team work much better.. but on topic, this is the fun factor for me, the only reason I am actualy still active, so I do play for fun, and when I whine its not because I take it too seriously, and its not because I play "NOT FOR FUN" its because my fun was taken away by certin factors, so I still play for fun, and I whine because I don't get it.

SO ON TOPIC!
Everyone plays for fun! the question you need to ask yourself is "Does my fun include ruining the game for others?"

DeMonIc
July 22, 2005, 10:31 am
I believe that the topic of clans really is related to the original topic Ok :P

At first, all players play zis lovely game for fun: but it won't take long until a secondary objective comes in, which is getting better. Since if you're better, you have more fun right? But after you don't find a challange in public games, you'll need something new.. either hanging around and goofing with your soldat buddies, or making a map, interface, stuff like that. That's fun too. But once you get bored of that, you have to look for another thing, again, or you just quit playing the game. I have joined NbK because I wanted to play with players that are better than me, like I did when the c'n's and BA/SaD servers were up and running. Now I have no intentions of leaving this clan, because my clanmates are my buddies, and I have fun playing with them. Sure, there's a period when you get pissed off by getting beaten, so you play for winning too, but I think that's periodical, and if you have the right attitude, you'll have fun even in getting hammered :)

Deleted User
July 23, 2005, 3:03 pm
I dun play for fun! I play to win, lollol :D joking..hmm I dunno its too long to read but what i've read isn't exactly fresh news you know..lol. w/e everyone raise they'r thumb up so I won't be the (Please refrain from swearing) to break the fun

*Thumbs up* :D