( search forums )
Player-Specific Server Messages
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Elephant_Hunter
July 22, 2005, 5:17 am
Player-Specific Server Messages

Syntax:
/ssay [player_number] [message]
Sends a private message to a player. This would greatly increase the use of remote administration programs like SARJ, while keeping player's chat area clean. Servers would no longer have to repeat the same message to everybody when it applies to only one person.

Examples

Keeping people out

Soldier joins Soldat.CustomMaps
Server sees that the name 'soldier' is common / already in use
/ssay 12 "Soldier" is a common name. Please change it and rejoin.

Certain stat servers have difficulty relaying concerns with common names like "Soldier" or "Sniper". They need a way to tell the player in particular that he is the one with a questionable name.

Informing players the nature of gameplay

ThumbBob joins Soldat.DuelMatch
DuelMatch automatically puts ThumbBob in spectator mode because two other players are already in a duel.
Instead of ThumbBob being like "I'm stuck. I can't play."
/ssay 3 You are spectating the duel. Please wait for your turn...

Different servers have different gameplay. SARJ, in combination with server-specific messaging, could create radical new game types. They could also prevent players from killing too many non-rambos in rambo match or rejoining in survival mode.

Non-standard rules

{rdogs}Mr.Pink joins Soldat.Regulated
Mr.Pink: "Get outta the car! Get the f*** outta the car!"
/ssay 15 Please refrain from spamming/swearing. You have 1 more warning.
Mr.Pink: "-----------"
Mr.Pink: "JOIN RDOGS!"
Mr.Pink has been kicked

Mr. Pink is obviously a serious case. There are no vehicles in soldat... But some players say really whacked out stuff on servers (much of it offensive and annoying). SARJ and Player-Specific messages could inform the person that he is saying questionable things and ask to be more moderate while chatting.

Handing out statistics

Regular joins Soldat.Stats
Regular: "mystats"
/ssay 4 K/D: .25
/ssay 4 Kills: 50 Deaths: 200
/ssay 4 Fav. Wep: Spaz

Another goody for stat servers. Getting stats no longer has to take up half the screen.

Of course, this would not only apply to automated servers. Real, live admins could hand out warnings/info to individual players as well (without having to cram up everyone's whole console/embarrass the player).

It should be a server-only command. I don't see much reason for players to use the command with eachother. That might cause problems and distrupt the game. Teamwork is dependent on the team cooperating as a whole.

Green Barret
July 22, 2005, 9:59 am
Awesome! Absolutly needed idea. Anyone who runs a server would agree on this.

Deleted User
July 22, 2005, 10:54 am
another must have idea from elephant hunter

a-4-year-old
July 22, 2005, 6:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunter
/ssay [player_number] [message]

Ex3: Non-standard rules

{rdogs}Mr.Pink joins Soldat.Regulated
Mr.Pink: "Get outta the car! Get the f*** outta the car!"
/ssay 15 Please refrain from spamming/swearing. You have 1 more warning.
Mr.Pink: "JOIN RDOGS!"
Mr.Pink has been kicked

lol, silly mr.pink no veicles in soldat
love ur idea :)

Deleted User
July 22, 2005, 10:16 pm
Would it be available to players, and not just Admins?

Captain Ben
July 23, 2005, 12:49 am
I wouldn't like it from player to player, admin to players sounds better. People would plan team stuff, etc.

Michal
July 23, 2005, 1:17 am
Sounds good, it would be very useful.
I think a player to player version would be good, but the text should be visible above the players head like in teamchat.

Elephant_Hunter
July 23, 2005, 4:37 am
I use remote administration a lot when I host servers. It would really help if this were implemented.

Alamo
July 23, 2005, 11:53 am
Awesome! We definitely need that. I'd love getting some detailed Stats or so like that.

STEELIX
July 23, 2005, 11:19 pm
But with player to player, typing /ssay, or making a taunt of it, for that's sake, sounds like a lotta hassle. Maybe a more simple way, like, for instance, clicking on the player's name in the F1 screen?

Dark_Noddy
July 24, 2005, 3:03 am
Great Ideas man ! I'd really like to se this implanted :)

KeFear
July 24, 2005, 9:52 am
Yes, it's a must!