( search forums )
Control recomendations?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
GAMEOVER
July 22, 2005, 9:06 am
I been having trouble finding the perfect control combo it seems every combo I try im stumbling over my own fingers. I use every action there is in game aside from weapon menu which by default is tab. Does anyone have any suggestions for control combos? Sorry if this sounds stupid but its really gettin to be a pain.

Wish there was a controler that would work with soldat id buy one in an instant..

Zero72
July 22, 2005, 9:08 am
I really can't imagine using anything other than default. If no other configuration works, maybe you should just try to get used to that.

TheRelinquished
July 22, 2005, 9:47 am
The only thing I really changed is the throw button, which I changed to shift. That way I utilize my pinky, as well as enable myself to run to the right while throwing a knife.

Otherwise, you will probably simply need to get used to the game. It's actually a good setup. Just requires some practice.

Green Barret
July 22, 2005, 9:54 am
With the default controls your thumb and your pinky doesn't move at all. Try rearranging keys so you can use all your fingers and not get mixed up.

The shift and space key are good examples. I personally use the space key as the throw key so that I can throw the knife more easily. One of my friends uses it as his reload key. This way you don't have to use your 'movement' fingers(the finger you use to press w, a, s, d keys).

MOFO NOFO
July 22, 2005, 10:18 am
i use E as fly and rightclick as throw nades

DeMonIc
July 22, 2005, 10:35 am
Try to assign your controls according to the tactic and gamestyle you use. For example, I use space as my change weapon, since it's much easier to shoot a ruger shot then spray the hell out of the enemy with a Socom with it. Experiment a bit, and make sure you make use of all your five fingers.

F@NTOM
July 22, 2005, 10:54 am
Default controls don't work for me :P, so this is what I use: W,S,A,D for movement, left shift for jump, left ctrl for crouch, F for prone, E-throw weapon, scroll for reload, left click-fire, right click-jet pack.

Michal
July 22, 2005, 3:54 pm
These are my controls, I've never used any other configuration when playing Soldat.
JUMP: Up Arrow key
CROUCH: Down Arrow Key
LEFT: Left Arrow Key
RIGHT: Right Arrow Key
PRONE: right Shift
NADE: right Ctrl
THROW: numeric 0
SHOOT: Left Mouse
RELOAD: Middle Mouse
SWITCH: Mouse Wheel
JETS: Right Mouse

Keron Cyst
July 22, 2005, 5:44 pm
I could never get used to using the mouse wheel.

I like the default W-A-S-D area of the keyboard; arrow keys are too close to the mouse for me. But I changed grenade to Space Bar since that utilizes the thumb and lets my index finger stay in the D-R-F area, and mid. always on W. I was thinking of setting jet boots to 2 one time and assigning right-click something else :-D My Chat keys are Shift & CTRL (left, of course).

GAMEOVER
July 22, 2005, 6:29 pm
thx for all the tips suggestions and examples, F@NTOM your combo sounds real good im gonna try that now, the arrow keys sound good to but my hands are to close together between the mouse and keyboard.

papasurf31
July 22, 2005, 6:43 pm
mostly, I use CS controls execpt:

Up: w
Left: a
Right: d
Crouch: s
Prone: c
Switch Weapons: q
Throw Weapons: f
Nades: e
Reload: r
Fire: left click
Jets: right click

The @venger
July 22, 2005, 7:06 pm
i have used these controls since one of the first soldat version, while i think the controls were somehow similar to this:
jump:arrow up
duck:arrow down
run left:arrow left
run right:arrow right
nade:enter
reload:right ctrl
prone:righ shift
chat:delete
teamchat:end
switch:numpad 0
throw weap:numpad 1

Deleted User
July 22, 2005, 8:09 pm
Heres My "Perfect Controls",

Up/down/right/left are default [w,s,a,d]
Prone: Left Shift
Fly: Left CTRL
Throw Nade: Right Click on Mouse
Throw Weapon: Mouse Wheel Click
Change Weapon: Mouse Wheel Slide down/up...

Clear and simple. left hand on W/S/A/D [when the pinky is on Shift/CTRL], while Right hand is on the mouse of course.
Just to add :P I play like this for 2+ years and im so happy with it that I never switched it [since 1.0.4B :D]

GAMEOVER
July 22, 2005, 10:13 pm
aright just swaped.. I found my pinky and left hand ring finger to be more flexable then my middle and pointer finger so with all that in mind and based on your guys suggestions I made this control layout that seems to be perfect.. I still am getting use to them so ofcourse im gonna goof up a little but in time ill get use to em, here they are.

-Keyboard used with left hand

Left shift- Prone (pinky)
A- Crouch (ring finger)
S- Left (middle finger)
D- Right (pointer finger)
Caps Lock- Reload (used with pinky)
Tab- Change weapon (used with ring finger)
Q- Drop weapon (used with ring finger)
Space- jump (thumb)

-Right Hand on mouse

Right click- Jets (ring finger)
Mouse wheel- Nades (middle finger)
Left click- Fire (pointer finger)

-MISC

T- Talk
Y- Team talk

reckon
July 23, 2005, 2:33 am
I changed reload to the mouse wheel scroll, so when i roll it, it reloads. I changed the mouse wheel click to throw.
Also my prone has been changed space bar and left shift is change weps.
I think this set up works best for people with larger hands.

Deleted User
July 23, 2005, 3:57 am
I changed the mouse wheel to switch weapons and knife throw to center mouse button.