( search forums )
What is your opinion about minigun surfing?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
ReDevil
July 25, 2005, 11:36 am
I want to see what's the community's opinion about minigun surfing.
It's a cheat in your eyes? It's ok in your eyes? You use it as killing?
Just write your opinions here, I am really intersted in seeing what's the most think.

;)

Felix
July 25, 2005, 11:40 am
Pretty cool for surfing, but not most of the time, cuz it's lame :p

Captain Ben
July 25, 2005, 12:00 pm
I like the occasionally minigun-beserker brandishing, but that hardly ever happens.

Aquarius
July 25, 2005, 12:02 pm
Most people think it's lame.
I think it's useful sometimes, I do it from time to time, when I use Minigun.

Denacke
July 25, 2005, 12:14 pm
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=25798

Perhaps we should stick this to one topic :)

flab
July 25, 2005, 12:32 pm
If you think minigun surfing is cheating, then you have to say M79 jumps are cheating too :)

MikeShinoda.pheonix
July 25, 2005, 1:36 pm
and grenade jumps :P

Alamo
July 25, 2005, 2:54 pm
I think the Minigun is fun to play around. Anyone can do it if they want...

peemonkey
July 25, 2005, 2:57 pm
surfing just gives the people who use it as a weapon a bad look, and get it restricted on many servers. im not wearing pants.

crazymonkey
July 25, 2005, 5:37 pm
It's annoying when you're trying to play serious, cool when you're not, and funny when you're drunk on caffiene.

Cookie.
July 25, 2005, 6:10 pm
I think the minigun can be used any time... but surfing should only be considered with 30 seconds left and your down a cap :P OR you wana try to catch the flagger before he snarfs you,,,, stuff like that

Denacke
July 25, 2005, 6:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.I think the minigun can be used any time... but surfing should only be considered with 30 seconds left and your down a cap :P OR you wana try to catch the flagger before he snarfs you,,,, stuff like that

That's exactly what it shouldn't be used for, imo. oh no we lose, let's go abuse a weapon.

Zegovia
July 25, 2005, 7:34 pm
Its a sneaky trick, anoying yet effective...... :P

crazymonkey
July 25, 2005, 8:04 pm
How is it sneaky when it's annoying?

Zero72
July 25, 2005, 8:29 pm
It can be fun, but should not be done in serious games. It's given the minigun a bad name.

ReDevil
July 25, 2005, 8:31 pm
Well that is my basic question and what I would like to know, who cares if you use it in public or a friendly, it can be fun, yeah.
But in a league matches and serious matches, what's your opinion that a match is decided by a Minigun? Answer to that guys :)

Zero72
July 25, 2005, 8:38 pm
I don't have a problem with the minigun itself, only when people use them as friggin' rocket boosters.

Aquarius
July 25, 2005, 8:42 pm
Minigun is the most underpowered primary.
If you can use it in serious matches successfully (with boosting or not, it doesn't matter), you are teh uber 1337 Soldat mastah.
I haven't met anyone who can, though.

Darkfist007
July 25, 2005, 9:53 pm
If you can use it and 1 not lag the server and 2 not be an idiot while at it, do whatever you want. Personaly I just see minigun surfers as easy targets, a tiny bit easyer to hit then fly hackers, the more easy target the funnyer it is.

3rd_account
July 25, 2005, 11:08 pm
Well of course it's a tad annoying when you lose your flag by a surfer. But compared to other nasty things such as spray, warp, spawncamp, invisible nades, camping, well-aimed knives from nowhere, unbalanced teams, health whoreing, fins, unexplanable selfkills, chubby boy mancer, hackers, b00ns with transparent heads, bink, polybugs, random barret shoting, ouchek, law shots from a screen away, jew-lag, lethal polygons on ctf maps, fin-luck and tompenny it's all kool.

-DoA-Pero-SLO-
July 26, 2005, 12:32 am
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_accountWell of course it's a tad annoying when you lose your flag by a surfer. But compared to other nasty things such as spray, warp, spawncamp, invisible nades, camping, well-aimed knives from nowhere, unbalanced teams, health whoreing, fins, unexplanable selfkills, chubby boy mancer, hackers, b00ns with transparent heads, bink, polybugs, random barret shoting, ouchek, law shots from a screen away, jew-lag, lethal polygons on ctf maps, fin-luck and tompenny it's all kool.

tompenneh ak spraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

3rd_account
July 26, 2005, 12:50 am
Yeah. He's as loveable as a burning stick with poo on it.

bbqchips
July 26, 2005, 1:20 am
I usually only play small dm or 1:1 with my friends. I can't stand pub games with all the nade/etc spam :)

Mielos
July 26, 2005, 3:10 am
Imo , it's exploiting or cheating if you want to call it that way and yes I think m79 boosts and grenade boosts are also exploits/cheats . I doubt the game is balanced on that.

quote:If you can use it in serious matches successfully (with boosting or not, it doesn't matter), you are teh uber 1337 Soldat mastah.

As if it's difficult to minisurf

Deleted User
July 26, 2005, 5:52 am
In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with minigunning and/or minigun surfing. If the use of minigun surfing decides a game of CTF, then you probably don't have very good defense anyway, and would have lost regardless.

Face it, minigun surfers are incredibly easy to kill. They have no real offense short of trying to take of an entire base with a soccom. Unless you're playing on the world's shortest CTF map, the surfer will have to reload by the time they get to your base, allowing you to kill them. Also, minigun sufers constantly bump into things because they can't see where they're going, making them wasy targets.

Do I think it's lame? I'll admit, it can be annoying, but I can probably just wait and kill him on his way back from my base, if he even makes it out alive. And if it's a 2vs2, it's pretty gay, but not too many people play those.

In short, if people choose to surf with minigun, who gives you the right to stop them?

Captain Ben
July 26, 2005, 7:09 am
I really don't care. Surf, Spray, its all the same. If they choose to do it, it's their choice.

Aquarius
July 26, 2005, 7:30 am
quote:Imo , it's exploiting or cheating if you want to call it that way and yes I think m79 boosts and grenade boosts are also exploits/cheats
And rocket jumps in Quake are cheats as well... -.-' Maybe you don't know, but Michal reintroduced M79 jumps to Soldat consciously, because it was a requested feature. Seems like the creator of the game doesn't consider these things as exploits/cheats.

quote:As if it's difficult to minisurf
And not to be killed easily? Yeah, it is.

It's pathetic if you can't kill someone who doesn't see farther than 1/4 of the screen, is turned back to you and has the most underpowered primary weapon in the game.

Ok
July 26, 2005, 8:05 am
I didn't read all of the posts (as I usualy do) so forgive me if I repeast something already said.

First of all Redevil didn't mean in public or just some random games or gathers.
He meant in official games where it actualy matters.
Personaly I find surfing VERY easy to counter, its like yelling from the moment you spawn "Hey I'm coming! and I'll probably be helpless when I reach your base so be ready"

Mostly I kill him on the way, waiting for him in a specific place he will defenetly pass and I kill him with a knife, if I don't have a 1 shot weapon, I use nades and some good aim shots.

The fact is minigun is not a usefull weapon and if it is, then you are not a usefull player ;)
I don't want to be harsh but come on! you can hear him coming! so be ready!
nevertheless, if you still find it a problem then you should consider that Minigun surfing is just like any other abuse of a weapon not for its purpose.
If you want to ban something better ban NADE BOOSTING! or M79 Boosting! both gives you an unfair advantage and both are much more dangerous then minigun surfing!

I understand you don't like minigun surfing Redevil, but I really don't like nade boosting and I find it an exploit of a weapon who is used to kill .. unlike the m79 you can boost and spray from above with an auto, that's just way too much advantage for 1 person, and there are players who will not face you unless they actualy nade boost , meaning they will not face you in a fair battle.
Before you decide to ban Minigun surfing think about the other abuse of weapons that are similiar to that, I'm sure you use some of them yourself (as we all do).

UltraMagnus
July 26, 2005, 10:10 am
the minigun may be underpowered for head on confrontations, but it is primarily a supression fire weapon, surfing can be abit annoying, but i have never seen it used effectivly on more than one map

ReDevil
July 26, 2005, 12:52 pm
Why you compare everything to nade jumping and m79 boosting? Fine, it's an abuse. Think nade boosting and m79 boosting doesn't exist, what do you think about it then? Without comparing it to other things. And let's say we got a map B2b, it's a big map so it's easy to minigun and no way you will die there. (If you are the minigun surfer)

MOFO NOFO
July 26, 2005, 3:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by AquariusMinigun is the most underpowered primary.
If you can use it in serious matches successfully (with boosting or not, it doesn't matter), you are teh uber 1337 Soldat mastah.
I haven't met anyone who can, though.

your looking at him :D, im probebly better with minigun then with a minimi or ruger.

[IMAGE]

"There is no spoone" - The Matricks

Mielos
July 26, 2005, 4:06 pm
quote:And rocket jumps in Quake are cheats as well... -.-' Maybe you don't know, but Michal reintroduced M79 jumps to Soldat consciously, because it was a requested feature. Seems like the creator of the game doesn't consider these things as exploits/cheats.
What does quake have to do with this? And to me it doesn't matter if michal agreed to it , but I see a lot more m79 users then i saw when i first started playing soldat , and I think it's powerfull enough without the boosting

quote:
And not to be killed easily? Yeah, it is.

It's pathetic if you can't kill someone who doesn't see farther than 1/4 of the screen, is turned back to you and has the most underpowered primary weapon in the game.
Depending on wich weapons you have it can be difficult , I think it's a lot easyer to counter it with a barret then with an mp5 or spas . And even if it's easy it's annoying and pathetic that they care so much about winning the game. And it's as if everyone forgets even minigunners have secondarys...

Merach
July 26, 2005, 4:46 pm
Weeelll....
I use M79 so often, most of the times in B2B, other maps is useless actually. Then, if I use M79 jump I must agree with surfing, but is annoying when on DEATH a couple of guys sprays both with minnigunner, was hard to cap on your own base cause bullets pushed me out, avoiding me to climb up. I think a constant use, both M79 jump, grenade jump and minigun surfing, it's annoying but to catch an enemy flagger... In my opinion depends on the map you are playing and how often do u use it.

Deleted User
July 29, 2005, 3:02 pm
little question....what the duece is minigun surfing?

Ok
July 29, 2005, 8:58 pm
Now you see when you come and ask a question like that you ruin the whole discussion, just ask a friend or someone in the a server to show you, can save alot of words, since its so much easy to demonstrate then explain.

Anyways Minigun surfing as itself is not something worth dealing with, its easly countered and I don't think its overpowered, since its downfall is bigger then its advantage

Spectral
July 30, 2005, 12:14 am
Although it usually doesn't avail to anything more than suicide, you very well could get lucky and score a quick cap. I consider it a lame technique, but as it is part of the game, I am accepting.

Deleted User
July 30, 2005, 2:09 am
It's some times usefull but aint good in other occasion

VodkaZombie
July 30, 2005, 3:43 pm
Its never useful. Its for people who want to fool around and look noob in front of everyone.

UltraMagnus
July 30, 2005, 6:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by uberdoggylittle question....what the duece is minigun surfing?

its using the miniguns recoil as a means of propulsion or levitation

solohan50
July 30, 2005, 6:31 pm
well, i know that i've made more than a few captures minisurfing, but that's only cuz i picked up the mini from some minisurfer that i killed and then pull the same trick on his team. i find that the mini is effective in a situation like that if you just use it to grab the flag and run like hell, using the mini just enough to get out of their base and away from all the barrets that are camped there. once that's done, i can pull out my trusty Steyr and run like hell back to base.

DT
July 30, 2005, 9:00 pm
as long as 10 people are not doing it at once... i'ts fine...

Jamesmax0
July 31, 2005, 6:12 am
Minisurfing is fun when your new but a nusince when your a regular player. I think its a fun every once and awhile on a server if you have a bunch of ppl doing the same thing. but its just a pain in the ass to everyone if you do it too much on a real game

ráz0r
July 31, 2005, 11:27 am
minigunsurfing is for liek noobs ay. its worse than autosniper ay. it should get removed ay, aboot time ay.