( search forums )
Zoom out when a new map starts
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Rambo_6
July 26, 2005, 4:28 am
Wouldn't it be cool if your camera zoomed out for each time you begin a new map in a server? This way, newbs will know the whole map, and where to go.

All the players should zoom out at the same time (5 seconds before a round begins, say.)

Deleted User
July 26, 2005, 3:30 pm
Narr... How about when you die, you see the whole map zoomed out when the players fight 'n stuff?

Darkfist007
July 26, 2005, 4:01 pm
That would be kinda kool. But it would have to be only at the start of the match, because if it happend during people could give exact rush details.

rabidhamster
July 26, 2005, 4:58 pm
i like the first idea. also, does anyone remember an old idea where the screen fades in from black at the beginning of a map? here's my idea:

VERSION 2.1

(map begins)

fade in from black for 1.5sec on a zoomed out map thingie with the beginning text already displayed (Deathmatch Started). player can't move.

do nutin for 1.5sec (that's a total of 3sec for map overview)

do a exponential zoom onto your player for 1sec.

0.5 seconds into the zoom, allow player to start fighting (so, wait 3.5 sseconds before starting a fight).

(map time ends)

show end stats, allow players to continue fighting on the map (stats won't be affected after 00:00) for 7sec.

fade to black for 3sec (players can still fight for fun while fading; total fight for fun time 10sec)

(go to next map)

eh? good? seems very professional, no?

Keron Cyst
July 26, 2005, 5:15 pm
No, no, they won't be able to see everything (like a HUGE map, ctf_b2b)! It should be optional between soldat-tracking & Free Camera during spawn (but if FC then you shouldn't be able to see enemy teamchat). That way they can follow a path manually by themselves.

EDIT rabidhamster, your idea would take too long. 10 seconds of no command over your soldat whatsoever in between matches, half of which is blackness / fading in/out?

MOFO NOFO
July 26, 2005, 5:31 pm
this wont work unless there is more respawn time. WHICH I DO NOT WANT!

Darkfist007
July 26, 2005, 5:44 pm
Just have it so the first 5 secons it is zoomed and then it goes to you, and you can move and all, but maybe make it so its not the whole map, but enough to see the suroundings.

rabidhamster
July 26, 2005, 8:09 pm
edited my first post. it's much clearer now.

zyxstand
July 27, 2005, 7:08 am
not a bad 'idea' - but it'd be hard to implement since that'd requrie a change in the main-structure of soldat. also, there's such a thing as making your own game (not joining one online) where you can choose any map you like and play around and check out the map for yourself! besides, that's just another way of making it easier for the noobs...they should have to learn these things themselves......