( search forums )
Books
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Elephant_Hunter
July 26, 2005, 11:11 pm
Books...

Does anybody here read them? I mean, seriously... like read fiction novels and stuff? Which ones?

I ask because I'm an avid reader. A lot of people I meet say, "I wish I read more, but I don't have the time to." What the hell? You spend so many hours watching television, playing video games and surfing the forum that you can't fit a book in your schedule?

The world is changing fast. Are forums and video games a healthy way to live? Do they promote good grades, a stable job/relationship, an environment to learn, etc... Do you have any of these traits?

Recently I finished Middlesex. It's about a hermaphrodite who grows up thinking he was a girl. Very interesting and a must-read, although it has some of what more conservative people would deem "unnecessary content". I don't agree with that concept, but I thought I would warn those of you ready to accept a book recommendation from a fellow forumer.

My shelf is filled with novels like Gregory Macguire's Wicked, Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, Geothe's Faust, and many books I'm not sure any of you have heard of before. Yes, I read Harry Potter, LOTR and other common antiquities. It's just a matter of personal favorites when I choose what to buy and what to get from the library.

karmazon
July 26, 2005, 11:18 pm
Books are gay

sike

Now I'm reading "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnagie. The grandaddy of all self-help books(written in 1937). I expected it to be another stupid (Please refrain from swearing)ing "self-help" book like they all are, but this one is great, and it's the only good one self-help book(except the other book by Dale).

Deleted User
July 26, 2005, 11:23 pm
the only book i have actually sat down and read was Fight Club. I dont like reading at all. Im a movie buff.

Maxx
July 26, 2005, 11:27 pm
Meh, I hate books.

Deleted User
July 26, 2005, 11:30 pm
Im about to get started reading 1984 by George Orwell. :p

Deleted User
July 26, 2005, 11:56 pm
1984 is great, for all you illiterates out there. Personally, I like the Domain series.

Elemental
July 27, 2005, 12:08 am
cool

Deleted User
July 27, 2005, 12:16 am
Ender's Game is great, but personally I think the series got too off track after the first book.

Any of the "Crown of Thorns" is a great series. Three books, all of them especially interesting and provide a lot of insight on the whole "what draws the line between good and evil" idea.

SuperKill
July 27, 2005, 12:17 am
i can understand you and your point of thinking.
BUT, on the other hand;

you make your speech look like you're actually saying - blah blah... stop wasting your misrable life and start reading something you f*cking worthless bums! you dont read books you say? pah! you are a complete social and economical failure!
seriously what's the deal?
i, for example, cant exactly understand how a load of normal books, mind you, would contribute to a person's stable relationship, job, or become a healthy way to live.
i can imagine the wild connection between reading books and having good grades, but that's vague aswell.

another thing is.. you pretty much can have a healthy life even if you browse and post on forums, and even if you're a forum flaming larva. it doesnt matter if the certin person reads or doesnt. all that matters is if he knows how to ballance things out.

anyway, the only 'readers' i know, are some kids in my school. (pretty fun to say 'my school' after i'm done with it)
they are really a bunch of fantastic people, each and every one of them. they've got a good character, a sense of humor, and they are usually mannered.
...yet they arent seem to do anything that can be considered 'fun' in their lives. they dont go out in public much except school; they dont go to the beach, nor to clubs, parties, social events etc. i even think they try to stay away from social life.
they arent taking care of themselves. they dont do sports at all, which is an extremely important issue to take care of at their age, since you get drafted to the army abit after you finish highschool, where i live. (israel)

i highly doubt that i'll get to their situation if i'd start reading books (never read any), still.. i've yet to seen any other influence on readers, besides the one i exampled above.

N1nj@
July 27, 2005, 12:21 am
books are for nerds!

crazymonkey
July 27, 2005, 1:03 am
I am addicted to books, but only during certain periods of time. One month I'll read like 20 books, and then the next, I won't even start a book.

Deleted User
July 27, 2005, 1:25 am
Why read books, when you can read these forums?

Elephant_Hunter
July 27, 2005, 1:46 am
quote:
you make your speech look like you're actually saying - blah blah... stop wasting your misrable life and start reading something you f*cking worthless bums! you dont read books you say? pah! you are a complete social and economical failure!
seriously what's the deal?

You might have skimmed through and missed the part where I said I was addressing those who wished they could read more, but don't have the time to. If you have no intention to read then I have no problem with it.

quote:
i, for example, cant exactly understand how a load of normal books, mind you, would contribute to a person's stable relationship, job, or become a healthy way to live.
i can imagine the wild connection between reading books and having good grades, but that's vague aswell.

Actually, it's less of a "wild connection" between academics and books , and more of a matter of literacy. The same percentage of book-readers waste away their lives with seemingly unimportant things, but if they read then they have more adaquate knowledge to analyse arguments and convey their beliefs to others.

quote:
another thing is.. you pretty much can have a healthy life even if you browse and post on forums, and even if you're a forum flaming larva. it doesnt matter if the certin person reads or doesnt. all that matters is if he knows how to ballance things out.

So reading books stops that balance?...

quote:
...yet they arent seem to do anything that can be considered 'fun' in their lives. they dont go out in public much except school; they dont go to the beach, nor to clubs, parties, social events etc. i even think they try to stay away from social life.

Yes, I stayed away from that kind of social life in highschool. I didn't burn cats in trees, get drunk or chase skateboard kids with electric tasers. That's all I can recall as far as my school's so-called social life went. Sure, I had friends and everything. We talked philosophy and religion in Dennys for hours on end. That didn't impede our time to read.

quote:
... they arent taking care of themselves. they dont do sports at all, which is an extremely important issue to take care of at their age, since you get drafted to the army abit after you finish highschool, where i live. (israel) ...

Sorry that you have a draft in Israel. I'm part of a few peace groups, namely Quakers, who support opposition of the draft in your country. They get letters on a regular basis from graduates who might be put in jail for refusing to hold a gun. I doubt you would agree with me, but I believe that the draft violates our basic human rights.

LazehBoi
July 27, 2005, 2:04 am
I stopped reading books once I got addicted to IRC. I read enough there.

Milkman Dan
July 27, 2005, 2:25 am
I can read, therefore I have accomplished the bare minimum and no furthur progress is necessary.

I havent ever finished a book since I was... since I can remember. I remember i had to do a book report and the movie was on TV around the same time so I didnt waste time on doing both.

GunPowder
July 27, 2005, 2:33 am
I do read books and novels, What helps me greatly is an Egyptian national project called "The family's library" That sells famous novels and encyclopedias at a convenient price for everyone. I mostly read arabic novels and books, but lately i read " hard times" for Charles d1ckens. And now i'm reading "Skeleton crew" for stephen king and "Great expectations" for Charles d1ckens.

edit: Wrote Charles name's in a leet way cause the world filter got it wrong =D

Rambo_6
July 27, 2005, 3:32 am
Books are for rich people

-Kazuki

Deleted User
July 27, 2005, 7:56 am
The Tommorow series by John Marsden is good.

DeMonIc
July 27, 2005, 9:31 am
I'm a reading-machine. Other than that we have 2-3 obligatory books to read every year at school, I enjoy reading books. It extends my vocabulary ( in Hungarian mainly, I don't have many English novels), and it's a relaxing experience. Last I've read A. Huxley's Brave New World, an old, but nonetheless interesting book. I can just recommend books, if you can't go to sleep, just take one down from the shelf and start reading.

ThaD
July 27, 2005, 10:01 am
about 2 books a week, mostly fantasy, s-f and history books

Deleted User
July 27, 2005, 1:46 pm
Cant sleep without reading smth :)
As ThaD said, mostly phantasy (but no s-f :P)

Hitman
July 27, 2005, 1:56 pm
I am currently reading The Story of Film.

- First book I've read in a long time (apart from the ones I had to read for English).

lastpatriot
July 27, 2005, 3:06 pm
I read novels for school, at home, mostly history crap.

Dark_Noddy
July 27, 2005, 3:15 pm
I read 2 books ^^

1. The Bible II ((Please refrain from swearing) is reborn in a hicky ass town in norway and starts a deathmaetal band etc.)
2. Stupid White Men

And I'm quite happy with that.. lol

MOFO NOFO
July 27, 2005, 3:36 pm
I read a different book each week, i borrow them from my school library :D

Cookie.
July 28, 2005, 11:19 pm
"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnagie.

That one is good :D

Last book I read was Harry Potter lol >.<

My favourite books however are Catch-22 and King Solomon's Mines

Deleted User
July 28, 2005, 11:33 pm
I read a book called gone forever.. other than thet I read harry potter books...

VodkaZombie
July 28, 2005, 11:34 pm
I'm reading How to Get Rich by Donald Trump and Meredith Mclver.

karmazon
July 28, 2005, 11:59 pm
Dale Carnegie

July 29, 2005, 2:35 am
God, i like reading, but nowadays, i can't find stuff that really appeals to me...sniffle.

Outcast
July 29, 2005, 2:46 am
mmm i used to be a bookworm...i now read a fiction novel here or there though. Just read blade runner for the second time a week ago, loved it.

Captain Ben
July 29, 2005, 2:58 am
JOhn Connoly is my favourite author. He wrote Bad Men, Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow and Dark Angel. I've missed a couple and now its frantic trying to find them. I read the Harry Potters, etc, but I've only done one LOTR book (haven't seen the movies :D).
Other than that, I read Faye Kellerman books, Darren Koontz' work and Phantom comics. But I'm the same. I'll read 6-7 books in a week, then I'll hardly pick any up after.

ThaD
July 29, 2005, 11:31 am
quote:Originally posted by Outcastmmm i used to be a bookworm...i now read a fiction novel here or there though. Just read blade runner for the second time a week ago, loved it.

(Please refrain from swearing) is a great writer, I read about 25 books of his; he's my favourite s-f writer

karmazon
July 29, 2005, 11:36 am
quote:Originally posted by ThaD[quote]
(Please refrain from swearing) is a great writer, I read about 25 books of his; he's my favourite s-f writer

WHUUUUT ?!? I bet you said something about male reproductive organ(Richard)

Captain Ben
July 29, 2005, 12:16 pm
(Please refrain from swearing), I meant Michael Connoly.

Deleted User
July 29, 2005, 5:28 pm
To Kill a Mockingbird is good

lastpatriot
July 29, 2005, 6:53 pm
Slaughterhouse 5