( search forums )
Heinlein's Starship Troopers Mod 1.0
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Show off your totally 1337 mods!
Oliver Stannus
July 28, 2005, 7:18 am
Ahh... I presume this might be the right place to post a mod like mine. A little while I ago, I got the idea of making a mod based on Robert Heinlein's book, Starship Troopers. It was my first and only mod. From scratch, I made pretty much an entire mod, except for an interface and some effects. I named it Heinlein's Starship Troopers because I had a feeling someone had already made a Starship Troopers mod. This is the first time I've published it to the general Soldat community. Be the first to download it!

[IMAGE]

The mod includes:

Weapons GFX: All re-done pixel by pixel to make Starship Troopers weapons. Where a weapon analogue didn't exist, I made one up from comments in the book.

Gostek GFX: Same as above.

SFX: EVERY sound re-recorded at home with my camera microphone and whatever sound I could make with my mouth and hitting the camera.

TXT: Spent ages re-typing the entire text file to change all the internal text to be more like Starship Troopers.

Sparks GFX: Very little change here; just some explosion stuff.

If you think the mod isn't total enough because of the un-changed interface, I guess you can move this thread.

If you are wondering, the weapons are:

Hand Cannon
Suppression Sub-Machine Gun
Assault Rifle
Marauder Rifle
Heat Pill Launcher
Commander Rifle
High Explosive Grenade Launcher
Rail Gun
Support Cannon
Gatlin Cannon

Pistol
Combat Knife (this one's definately in the book)
Hand Saw
Atomic Rocket Launcher

The link is:

[URL]

If I stuffed up that link, visit this site for the file, it's right on this page:

http://games.sifnt.net.au/soldat/

Thanks to Bob_The_Fish from sifnt for hosting the file, and acknowledgements to Robert Heinlein for writing the book.

SPARTAN_III
July 28, 2005, 7:34 am
your weapons look a little skinny, specially the assault rifle

your chainsaw looks a little like the default inverted, excuse me if it's not.
overall an OK mod, if it's your first try at modding

Oliver Stannus
July 28, 2005, 7:41 am
Yeah, I agree, I should have put a lot more effort into re-working the menu pictures. Then again, I didn't realise people would judge a mod (in which those images represented a small fraction) by the screenshot posted with the link. :O

Try downloading it - see how much you can judge about the sound files by quickly glancing at the screenshot. :P

Honestly, the mod isn't that great if you look at it piece by piece, but the whole, which is a fair bit, makes it more than some dude's weapon gfx mod done in 5 mins. Even then, I guess, my mod isn't that great. But from a mod-noob it represents a lot of work.

MOFO NOFO
July 28, 2005, 1:52 pm
This mod is pretty good, though lacks in originality in design of weapons.
and shading.

Rambo_6
July 28, 2005, 3:21 pm
Looks ok, but the weapons are way too blocky for my taste.

The knife looks like a pepper. :O

i am ahab
July 28, 2005, 3:50 pm
hmm have you changed the dying noises to a sort of bug screech death squeal?

thatd be cool heh.

Deleted User
July 28, 2005, 4:15 pm
Personally, its not my style. But for a first shot at modding, great job.

Oliver Stannus
July 29, 2005, 7:10 am
Yeah, what I can't say enough is that this mod really isnt focused on the interface gfx. If it was, I wouldnt have bothered putting it in this total-mod category. Basically, apart from some interface and explosion gfx, this IS a total mod. Maybe people judge a mod by the pics in the menu, I don't know, but that's not why I made it.

TheRelinquished
August 19, 2005, 6:41 am
I love the knife in this mod. And the saw.

mickle89
August 19, 2005, 8:48 am
ZARGHHH...what font is that for the weapon names in the screenie?

Deadeye Rob
February 5, 2006, 4:39 pm
I wouldnt say that your mod really bellongs here. The interface displays look kinda weak. add more detail by using subtle shades.

A good idea to consider when designing weaponry based on books, films games etc, is to 'copy' them. For example, the recent release of Starship Troopers the game contains a wide variety of weapon makes and capabilities, not to mention sound files. Try basing your desings on those mate.

papasurf31
February 5, 2006, 5:26 pm
You've been warned. I've told you to stop reviving old topics. Notice the last post here was about 6 months ago. This is a necromancy free zone.

Deleted User
February 26, 2006, 10:47 pm
THIS SUCKS!!!! You should call this the Making fun of Starship Troopers Mod!!!!!
It was ammusing for about 5 secs and then i found myself covering my ears with the sound of you going "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" in the microphone!! Im a big fan of Starship Troopers and i wanted to see a mod for soldat of this. You got all my hopes up and then destroyed them! You disgust me. and NO this not the right place for your mod. there should be a place for MODS THAT SUCK ASS!
yours would be the first one in there!

GAMEOVER
February 27, 2006, 1:28 am
Make your interface face weapons larger when making a mod and provide better shadeing.

numgun
February 28, 2006, 1:28 am
more detail pls, otherwise good!

GAMEOVER
February 28, 2006, 1:41 am
 Quote:Originally posted by grunt211THIS SUCKS!!!! You should call this the Making fun of Starship Troopers Mod!!!!!
It was ammusing for about 5 secs and then i found myself covering my ears with the sound of you going "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" in the microphone!! Im a big fan of Starship Troopers and i wanted to see a mod for soldat of this. You got all my hopes up and then destroyed them! You disgust me. and NO this not the right place for your mod. there should be a place for MODS THAT SUCK ASS!
yours would be the first one in there!

If I was a moderator youd be banned right now, hes nice enough to post his own work, something that he worked probably hard on for a 1st attempt. If you cant provide something contructive then dont post.