( search forums )
Remake: A New HollyWood Genre?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Captain Ben
July 28, 2005, 7:22 am
As you've all noticed, there seems to be alot of Hollywood classics being remade. Again. And Again.
/looksatwalkingtall
Anywho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, King Kong, The Amityville Horror and other classics are being remade, and by the looks of things, it's going to be around for a while. I don't mind all the new remakes, I mean, few could say that the original Batman beat Batman Begins, but do we really need a new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? To me, the original can't be beaten.

Discuss.

n00bface
July 28, 2005, 7:32 am
it isn't a new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it is a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was more about Charlie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is more about Willy Wonka!

Captain Ben
July 28, 2005, 7:45 am
liek omg111 that liek gos agansd everhrin i juts sad111

peemonkey
July 28, 2005, 7:58 am
(Please refrain from swearing)ing blasphemy. girlfriend says it's totally different, sounds like oompa loompas are (Please refrain from swearing), hate hate hate, kill kill kill, (Please refrain from swearing) tim burtan, (Please refrain from swearing) johnny depp.

lastpatriot
July 28, 2005, 1:32 pm
No, we do not need a new WWCF(That's how the cool kids abbreviate Willy Wonka).

If they do make King Kong, they better use crappy special effects.

What if they remade something like Lawrence of Arabia? What actor could do that? None, that's who.

Meandor
July 28, 2005, 3:04 pm
Actually, it looks like to me they are making more and more movies off comics and historic events (even worse, video games). Which are incredibly sucktastic because they stick in all kind of stuff that doesn't belong in the original plot or historic event for the bigger audience. Add to that lame battle/fight scenes and cheesy music and you've got yourself a cheap but oh_so_popular rip-off of a comic/historic event.

Michal
July 28, 2005, 4:26 pm
Sometimes remakes are not bad at all... like for example the Dawn of the dead remake. The original (1978) was a good movie, but the special effects were pretty bad. The blood looked like red tempera paint and the zombies just looked like people with blue makeup on. I'm not the type that cares too much about special effects, but if it looks bad then it can be a little distracting. In the remake the special effects looked very realistic, and the story was still excellent. But if I had to choose which one's better I'd go with the remake, simply because I find the modernized themes more appealing. And I think that's the purpose of most (good) remakes, to appeal to a new generation of audience.

peemonkey
July 28, 2005, 7:44 pm
that the only one i approve of, is the dawn of the dead one. the origional was hilarious though, running through a ball (Please refrain from swearing)-slapping zombies...

Captain Ben
July 29, 2005, 2:52 am
I agree with that, the new Dawn of the Dead was essential, but it is also very different from the original. No voice over, different characters, etc, basically enough to make it a great movie in its own right. But Peter Jackson, that hobbit-like guy who did Lord of the Rings is working on the King Kong remake. Why remake a movie when you can do something new, fresh and original?
But either way, I'm looking forward to the remake :P