( search forums )
A Public Server that?s GOOD?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
i am ahab
July 29, 2005, 3:20 pm
Hellos peoples.

I wish to test the water with regards current public servers.

Now before I begin I realise that SuS existed with a good principle but fizzled out for various reasons.

I also remember during the SuS discussion that I read here on the official forums that it was suggested that there could maybe be some sort of team of trusted people to be admins on some of the servers. The desired effect would be that the servers would be, at least slightly, cleansed as various people get banned, and the admins have the ability to make the server private should a number of decent people wish to play a game away from the masses.

Yes there are plenty of private servers out there if you want to go and make friends and get the passwords. And sometimes its as easy as of joining a chanel and getting the password from the welcome message.

And some of these private servers are cool. And some are not.

I regularly get kicked from the red army server despite joining as a spectator first and asking if anyone minds me playing. And then after 2 seconds im booted out without a reason. Annoying.

Yes I could get go and join a clan. But I don?t want to. I?m a much more casual player. I?ll play for a few hours one evening if I get the time. And maybe a few hours over the weekend. But when I play I really don?t wanna have to put up with getting rail gunned whenever I get to the enemy base from point blank range, or being told that im a noob for using the mp5. Or whatever. Insert your own experiences of being annoyed at public/private servers here.

So heres the deal.

I have got a 10 slot server hosted by clanplanet.co.uk -> so the pings are sweet (I get about 0 to 32 mS) but it costs money. Now I don?t mind stumping up. But there are plenty of public servers out there. Big deal, another public server for the stack.

What I wanted to do that was different would be to offer the server to the community, in the form of allowing a fair few people admin privalages, both in game and via the remote admin tool ( KeFear?s ARSE is good for anyone interested who has never used one before:
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=23596&whichpage=1 ). Ultimately maybe this could lead to a trusted series of admins for a number of publics. To just make the game a bit more enjoyable. No other leet type motivation. None of this ?meh im t3h 1337 4dm1N!!11? who just kicks everyone and sends them abuse. And if there is a problem with an abusive admin I can always remove them fairly quickly. And I can check how many there are and keep tabs.

Which I hope does away with the ?Who?s guarding the guards?? problem because I will be overseeing things and I have no clan based power and glory motivation. I just want a good server to play in dammit!

I?ll release details depending on the response I get. The offer is open to irc users too. Im reluctant to dedicate it to a single clan. Although hosting for clan matches is cool.

So does anyone fancy starting a revolution and being a cool admin?

Edit:
If you do I will need your in game name. so that i can add you to my remote admins text file on the server.

if you'd like you can PM or email me on selfrape@gmail.com

ill keep a list of who the admins are, if any want to join, on the front page of this thread.

Obviously i have final say over who i let admin and not. so there ;p

mickle89
July 29, 2005, 3:34 pm
I do.

July 29, 2005, 3:41 pm
Cheer cheer! too bad, i cant play cos im in malaysia. Supa lag...

Deleted User
July 29, 2005, 10:04 pm
so which game mode will it be?

And i hope it won't have only default maps,,,

i am ahab
July 29, 2005, 11:01 pm
the game mode is catch the pigeon.

but we use flags.

atm yes it only has standard maps. would you like to suggest additions?

maybe we could make a sort of standard map expansion pack?

FliesLikeABrick
July 30, 2005, 5:14 pm
good luck with this.... you cant prevent barret(Please refrain from swearing) and campers from coming into a public server.. are you going to just kick all of them or let them stay?

and if you kick them... that ruins the positive feel of the server.

ive spent the past 2 years trying to find the right way to build a good public server, and knowing what i do... you're gonna need some serious luck to find a way to glorify a public server

i am ahab
July 30, 2005, 9:40 pm
cheers mr bricks. you are indeed a top chap.

hmm well to be honest this is an experiment in leaving it up to the people. currently there are about 5 people i have as admins for me. thanks to a c script i have i can pretty much keep tabs on which admin is upto what. so i can stop flagrant abuse to an extent if im quick.

the point of the exercise is to have a server thats not passworded, but where you can get a good game. a thought i had was that if there were a series of regular friendly faces you could
approach, then youd have more fun. yes in essence its a shortcut to building a quick little community. obviously far short of u13 at the mo but hey. i'll work at it ;)

ive knocked off the barrett - as for a while at least the server is new and any people with good pings will come in and happily camp away. for me this does ruin a game a bit. and i dont want them out... just to experience what i think is a good intense frantic messy game of ctf.

my aim is not to just kick them and give the server a rep. but obviously kickings will occur. sadly i see this as being a bit unavoidable at the mo as its a trade off between upsetting people, and making the game enjoyable.

im gonna tread on some peoples toes whichever way i guess....

Deleted User
July 30, 2005, 9:48 pm
I think common sense is what most Soldat players are lacking, and if someone complains about a reasonable decision on the part of an Admin, well, you can't please all the people all the time, especially when they're idiots.

The @venger
July 31, 2005, 11:07 pm
why does everyone scold barret users?
its just another weapon :'(
RaaAAAAaaRRRrrrGHHHhhhh, ILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!11111!!!!11!!!11

FliesLikeABrick
August 1, 2005, 1:30 am
i never took barret, mini, or any other guns out of u13 because i feel that it ruins game that you're intended to play when you play soldat.

Chakra`
August 1, 2005, 1:56 am
SUS died out for one reason ...no one played in the servers. Shame really.

Gonna need alot of admins luv....good luck to you.

Cookie.
August 1, 2005, 2:47 am
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABricki never took barret, mini, or any other guns out of u13 because i feel that it ruins game that you're intended to play when you play soldat.

You took stat guns out :|

VodkaZombie
August 1, 2005, 3:02 am
I would gladly be an admin, as in help you out. But i'm guessing you need someone trustworthy that has been a veteran on the forums. Good luck anyway.

dabookshah
August 1, 2005, 8:44 am
If you are having trouble finding trustworthy admins you can just give them limited access through my program. It's what it was designed for, after all........Just thought it was worth suggesting. When you say ten slots, you mean ten servers? if so youll need a (Please refrain from swearing)load of admins.

i am ahab
August 1, 2005, 9:32 am
ahem.

Mr @venger my qualm with your beloved barrett is simple. my server is a "capture the flag" server. not a "hide in the grass and leetrape people who are trying to capture the flag" server.
i mean yeah bricks is right. the game was designed with that in. but michael has also given us the ability to customise. and making the play more up close and personal is, in my humble opinion, much more groovy.

ta chak sweetie. ya dam pissed up vodkah merchant!

hmm whassat dabooks? which proggie you made? i might be interested... i could offer levels off access, trying people out first to make sure they dont abuse.

Mr vodkahzombie, you dont have to be no 'vet' to be a good admin. being a veteran is all relative anyway....
so as long as you dont abuse whats being offered i'll happily add you. email me at the address if you want. dont have to mind. thanks tho.

to be honest im expecting to get stung by some people. as there'll always be those that bite that thar hand that be feedsin thems. cause they be leet see. or haowever ye be spellin that in ascii ooh ar me hearty jim lad. exclamation mark exclamation mark one one one.

dabookshah
August 1, 2005, 9:50 am
WOW, ACTUAL INTEREST!!!! No, seriously, I have left a broken version of my program(MSAT) up on the forum for like 3 days and no-one has noticed........so yeah...........msn me at dabookshah@hotmail.com for an up-to-date version, because I've stopped posting on the forums. Its an admin tool that lets you give people limited access to servers among other things. Getting someone to actually do some testing with it for me would be GREAT!

i am ahab
August 1, 2005, 11:24 am
kk dude mail ye i shall. *waves magic wand*

FliesLikeABrick
August 1, 2005, 2:41 pm
i took stat guns and bonuses out, yes... but are those a large part of typical gameplay? no. stat guns are in few maps, and bonuses are "bonuses"

Chakra`
August 1, 2005, 2:58 pm
Come to think of it, s'been a while since i've seen a pred or flamer in a 'serious' server. How about every sunday guv? :D

[don't go off topic like me]

i am ahab
August 1, 2005, 3:25 pm
we could have like an orange tuesday, where instead of 2 for 1 film tickets i forefit ALL admin rights to chakra but only after he's ingested a litre of smirnoff through an intravenous drip?

or i can quite happily turn the bonuses on my little slutmonkey...

thoughts anyone?

DT
August 1, 2005, 4:50 pm
well if you take the barret and minigun out of your server that solves SOME problems.
then the barreturds and minigun players will complain though