( search forums )
Vendettas big soldat suggestion thread. wepon bal.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
August 1, 2005, 9:31 pm
Hey guys, ive been playing soldat for a couple years now. Ive really enjoyed my time with the game but recently it's become somewhat of an obsession. Well ive decided to hang up my Gosteks for good and move on, with that being said I feel like sharring my thoughts on the wonderfull game.

Alright ill start off with what im sure is hotly debated here; Weapon Balance
Deagles
Now I myself dont believe in nerfing weapons, I believe in upgrading weapons so that they are equil to the more powerfull ones. With that being said I dont think the deagles need much (if any) tweaking. Very powerfull and balanced weapon.

Automatics (MP5, AK47, AUG, Mini)
The automatics in this game dominate in deathmatch, you can get multi-kills with ease thanks to their power and large clip size. Right off a spawn they are ready to fire. Another set of guns thats near perfection.

Spas
This is the gun I feel needs the most fixing, it has a weird bug im sure you are all aware of that causes you to shoot crookid while reloading. I suggest increasing the speed and range of the pellits, while having the pellits in a tighter spread (or) Making it fully automatic the way it is currently. That might make it too powerfull but I really do feel it needs some beefing up to compete.

Ruger
The ruger is great, I cant remember how powerfull this thing was before the bink effect was added. Id say you could let this one alone as well (kind of pointless writing about all these weapons thats are perfect isnt it?).

Barret
The Barret only became my weapon of choice recently, I always shunned it as a weapon for new players but as I experimented with it in deathmatch I found out it was far from a noob weapon. One of the hardest weapons to win a deathmatch with (second to the M79) thanks to its slow reload off spawn. I suggest you half the reload time of the barret off of a spawn, this will help combat spawn campers in capture the flag and give the barret a sliver of a chance in deathmatch if you spawn near an automatic user. Remember this is only off the spawn.

M79
About the only gun I diddnt get a good grip on. I always felt it was second fiddle to the barret for one hit kills. For this gun I suggest increasing the explosion radious. Make it so if you hit a cluster of guys with this they will all be in peices. I mean it is a grenade launcher... And it does have short range, get it up there with the barret. This could also use a shorter reload off of a spawn.

Chainsaw
Now I think the secondary weapons are perfect aside from the Chainsaw, I mean the hit detection is messed right up as you all should know. Also it's kind of like a knife that you cant throw... The knife stabs AND can be throw for lethal results. I suggest making the chainsaw a very powerfull close range weapon by doing the following;
1. Give it a new overhead chop animation, where the arm is above the head and the chainsaw is slashed downwards to about the gosteks knees.

2. Have the hit box move with the new animation so anything in front of the gostek is dead meat.

3. Give it about another half length of saw increasing the killing range.

4. Have it always doing the old attack where the soldat holds it infront of him while buzzing, And when the left mouse button is clicked it activates the saw animation.

Well guys those are my ideas, I look forward to discussing them with you guys. I might pick up and play the game again with the next update but as it stands now I doubt I will.

Peace.

Deleted User
August 1, 2005, 11:57 pm
with this post ive noticed a few things about you, i noticed youve played soldat for a while, but i also noticed that you didnt read the forums at all. I doubt you even read the forum sections, seeming you missed the obvously named suggestion section. oh and weapon balance is fine

ráz0r
August 2, 2005, 12:11 am
No its not.

-Claw-
August 2, 2005, 12:41 am
Weapon balance... if it is fine, why there is some people whining: "Spray"?

VodkaZombie
August 2, 2005, 12:52 am
We've had so many topics on this, let it be the way it is. Plus a new version of soldat is coming out soon and i'm sure MM knows what he's doing.

Meandor
August 2, 2005, 12:57 am
Moved to Genereal Discussion from Suggestions forum.. I didn't really know where to put it <.<

Deleted User
August 2, 2005, 1:12 am
quote:Originally posted by VendettaHey guys, ive been playing soldat for a couple years now. Ive really enjoyed my time with the game but recently it's become somewhat of an obsession. Well ive decided to hang up my Gosteks for good and move on, with that being said I feel like sharring my thoughts on the wonderfull game.

Alright ill start off with what im sure is hotly debated here; Weapon Balance
Deagles
Now I myself dont believe in nerfing weapons, I believe in upgrading weapons so that they are equil to the more powerfull ones. With that being said I dont think the deagles need much (if any) tweaking. Very powerfull and balanced weapon.

This is actually one of the better weapon discussion threads around, Much better then those threads in which people whine about a weapon and how its overpowered. Anyways About your post, I must say I disagree with you 100%.

You say you would rather Improve a weapon which is weaker rather than nerfing the weapons which are stronger, I disagree with you about as much as someone can disagree about something. Why you ask? Ill explain below.

When a weapon is weaker, you need more shots to kill, meaning more skill. How?, Lets say we are playing in a 3v3 Clanwar and 1 player uses ak-74, If ak-74 need 5 shots to kill, it means a person can kill 3 players with a total of 15 shots in 1 clip, meaning the accuracy needed to kill 3 people is 15/40 which is 37%, Now lets say you nerf AK so it isnt way overpowered than every other weapon, meaning you now need 10 shots to kill, In a clip to kill 3 people you would need to hit 30 out of 40 shots, or 75% accuracy. I would rather give an advantage to those people who have spent alot of time with one weapon perfecting thier accuracy, rather just whoring each weapon to the degree where any noob can pick up a weapon and kill anybody.

In this version, Spray was the most whined about thing. How to prevent spray?, 2 ways, You Nerf weapons so you need more hits to kill, meaning theres less of a chance someone kills someone else by spraying. Second way is to Increase reload time of all weapons, Meaning if someone sprays and doesnt kill thier opponent, They are dead meat.

Obviously you can see my opinion's on this matter, I would like to see every weapon weakened to a place where your accuracy has to be very good to kill more than 1 player at a time with 1 clip.

-Claw-
August 2, 2005, 1:53 am
I totally agree with poop, more decreasing in power of weapons...

Chakra`
August 2, 2005, 1:59 am
Weapon balance has gone through alot of ups and downs since i've been around. (a relatively long time)

Back when us beta testers were testing 1.2.1, we didn't really think at the time that testing the game in a clan-war enviroment would be necessary. I mean, it works in theory, don't it...bink the 1-shot weapons, and let the previously less-used weapons (from 1.1.5) have some power so they're contenders now.
As you can see in this current version, all the weapons 'are' pretty well balanced in most 1-v-1 situations. We did alot of deathmatching and random ctf testing.

That turned out to be quite the error though. Michal didn't really have enough time nor us beta testers the right methods to fully consider all sides to balance.

So yeah. It's quite easy to believe balance is alright, because it is. Especially in most public scenarios where people just play around with what they want.
Unfortunately, the more 'serious fun' to be had from clan wars was ruined by a new form of group-weapon dominance. No pair of weapons requires less skill in accuracy or practice than an entire team with powerful autos, thus rendering these matches rather samey and dull. And that's what we're trying to fix this time round.

I'll tell you this about 1.2.2's weapon balance. No matter what weapon you choose, you 'will' have to get good with it to get decent results. There (hopefully) won't be any pick-up-and-own weapons.

Also, thanks for a fairly decent intelligent post, even though we do have a number of such weapon balance threads. Although none quite so opinionated.

Deleted User
August 2, 2005, 2:25 am
Thanks for the replys, im interested to see what you guys do in the next update. I think im going to go check out the version history and just read up on all the changes you guys have made for curiousitys(sp) sake.

Keep in mind that I diddnt want to sound demanding, I just wanted to share what I thought. I dont know anybody in the real world who loves soldat as much as me, and you cant really talk about it in public servers lol.

Cookie.
August 2, 2005, 3:28 am
quote:Originally posted by MeandorMoved to Genereal Discussion from Suggestions forum.. I didn't really know where to put it <.<

I think you did the right thing :P

My only comment is too wait until the next version as it will be "interesting" to see the changes

Outcast
August 2, 2005, 6:13 am
quote:Originally posted by -Claw-Weapon balance... if it is fine, why there is some people whining: "Spray"?

Because they're morons and don't know what that means.

AerialAssault
August 2, 2005, 8:16 am
Chakra, i do hope that you beta testers have gone through the process with both eyes open. we cant have another 1.2, where the barrets reigned supreme over all. the autos should be the most middle of the road weapons in terms of usefulness. so keep that in mind.

DragonSlayer
August 2, 2005, 11:42 am
I kind of agree with Poop's point. Instead of giving too much power to the weapons, they should have less power. It takes more skill that way. Giving less power to autos would mean giving less power to other weapons too though. But I'd be fine with that. Although I think the power in weapons is pretty good right now. Spray can still happen after nerfing the power, it's just not as effective.

All I'm going to say that I think the weapon balance is better in 1.2.1 than in 1.1.5.

I wonder if it was possible to do so that bullets outside the screen aren't as effective (so range affects the damage) as in screen but the bink still worked correctly. I think that would be a pretty good solution for spray. I hate when I lose HP when someone sprays all the time, but I definitely think it's better to have bink spray than overwhelming amount of barret campers.

Da cHeeSeMaN
August 2, 2005, 12:38 pm
BRING BACK V1.1.4 CHAINSAW that was great LOL

Zegovia
August 2, 2005, 3:24 pm
I think the weapon balance is great as it is. The point is to take advantage of the weapons benefits.... I hardly ever notice the bink on the ruger.....

The only thing im bugged of is the minigun and its lack of power (and its abusive usage of Surfing), since its the biggest weapon in the game, its faaar from the most powerfull, i would like to give it more stopping power, so it can be accutally used as a support weapon! and as a follow of that, add Overheat (like the stationary turrets) so it will overheat and stop firering after a continous burst, that would stop the surfing.

-Claw-
August 2, 2005, 4:47 pm
well, you arent clan player, are you?

I think you can imagine 2 dudes coming up with 2 AUGs, spraying like hell all the time.. how in the hell can you even see them because you are dead before you even see the bulletts, which is NOT fun, and destroys the fun of clanwars...

lastpatriot
August 2, 2005, 4:51 pm
About Spray, isn't that what an automatic weapon does? You're not going to change people. I personally fire in short bursts, others don't.

I personaly feel weapon balance is fine, and we should concentrate on adding new things to the game

-Claw-
August 2, 2005, 5:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by lastpatriotAbout Spray, isn't that what an automatic weapon does?

Noes, if it is so, it is Ok as long as shooting will happen to moving target which is seen, not randomly to nowhere hoping bullets to hit and hurt..

that random shooting decreaces the fun of clanwars, Creates lag for slower systems and connections and it needs no skill at all -> Makes sprayer to easily get bored and quit soldat..

AerialAssault
August 2, 2005, 5:49 pm
exactly, why do people complain about "spray"? thats what automatic weapons do, that's what they are designed to do. ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF AUTOMATIC FIRE. what do you expect people to do with autos? line up every shot perfectly? no time for that. if you see the enemy flag carrier running along at the far end of your screen and youve got an AK. what are you going to do? you gonna let him go because you cant get in a single accurate shot or are you going to unload on his general direction? i cant imagine why people complain about "spray" considering thats how you are supposed to use the weapon. ugh, i want to strangle some of you sometimes.

Deleted User
August 2, 2005, 6:07 pm
I dont think the problem is spray Aerial but that the autos are very-powerfull making spray ridiculously effective.
EDIT: I totally forgot about the mini-gun! Yes this gun needs so much reworking it's not even funny. I think that guy hit the mark with the over-heating idea.

AerialAssault
August 2, 2005, 6:17 pm
the obvious solution would be to decrease a bullets power after its traveled a certain distance.

lastpatriot
August 2, 2005, 6:20 pm
Thank you, AA.

-Claw-
August 2, 2005, 6:28 pm
How bigh chance do you have to win an auto with 25% health with ANY weapon? Small, because of what?

lastpatriot
August 2, 2005, 7:27 pm
Because of your low health. If you are not using an auto, you must have a 1-3 shot kill weapon. USE IT PROPERLY!

-Claw-
August 2, 2005, 8:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by lastpatriotBecause of your low health. If you are not using an auto, you must have a 1-3 shot kill weapon. USE IT PROPERLY!

So, you think that when i use barrett, if im good enoughm i can ALWAYS win if i can hit 100% accurately?

No, No, because of what? Spray, no matter do i have 10% or 100% healhl, i get sprayed usually, which decreases the fun..

lastpatriot
August 2, 2005, 8:16 pm
Look, regardless of skill, "spraying" is what I like to call "shooting an automatic rifle or SMG".

Real soldiers "spray", though in small bursts instead of whole clips. I find I get killed by a lot of Barret users, regardless of bink. Why? If they miss, they use a secondary, or a grenade.
There's a solution for both of us, and I admit I need it also, stop whining.

Deleted User
August 2, 2005, 8:29 pm
What are you guys even arguing?

AerialAssault
August 2, 2005, 8:39 pm
why do people have it in their minds that they should be able to win in any situation with any weapon. half the time it isnt about skill, half your chances of survival depend on your ability to choose the best weapon for any situation. Automatics happen to be the most versatile. they are like this because they perform well in most situations. autos are at a disadvantage at extreme long and short distances. at long range : barretts and rugers tend to have the advantage in the hands of a skilled player. at close range, desert eagles and spas-12s tend to have the advantage. the m79s one sure fire advantage is that its accuracy never changes. it always goes where you point it, and its just a matter of adjusting to the arch so it isnt affected by autos. there is no argument. all the weapons are perfectly balanced.

-Claw-
August 2, 2005, 8:51 pm

hmm, think about 3 minimis coming up, all of them are shooting all the time, it creates lag, and it hurst evemies, eve they dont see bullets, then when they meet enemies, they need just 2-3 hits to kill, that happens from time to time, how can you win them? By spraying back? wgch is it then? just damn spraywar, just run run run and hope to kill someone, think about that skill which it needs to hit by running and shooting to randomness, and hoping to hit..

3rd time: it decreases all the fun..

Chakra`
August 2, 2005, 10:09 pm
Your answer is a little dramatic Claw, but none the less emphasises whats going on in these serious games.

I haven't played a clan war since 1.2.1 was released. A little while ago I was asked to replace some british guy in some 'european cup' thing. I forget the people or the teams involved, but basically I was told by the 'leader' of the british team to 'go top, pick an auto and spray'. Thats what he said in all seriousness.

God the game got so dull and boring. I had nothing more to do than to kill or injure people with an auto. It's not exactly demanding work, even against others doing the exact same thing.

Anyhow long story short, he told me to 'fvck off' because I didn't use auto enough, didn't spray enough, and 'didn't take the game seriously'. That'll teach me to pick up a ruger, eh.

lastpatriot
August 2, 2005, 11:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by -Claw-...

hmm, think about 3 minimis coming up, all of them are shooting all the time, it creates lag, and it hurst evemies, eve they dont see bullets, then when they meet enemies, they need just 2-3 hits to kill, that happens from time to time, how can you win them? By spraying back? wgch is it then? just damn spraywar, just run run run and hope to kill someone, think about that skill which it needs to hit by running and shooting to randomness, and hoping to hit..

3rd time: it decreases all the fun..

quote:posted by me stop whining

DragonSlayer
August 2, 2005, 11:27 pm
By the way, some of you seem to have a wrong idea what's spraying. Using automatics is NOT spraying. Spraying means shooting off-screen when you don't see a target. In some occasions, I think spraying is ok. Such are when chasing the flag carrier (especially when he's low on hp), when escaping with flag and you are being chased and when someone is being a lame camper and you need to spray for bink, not damage. By the way, spraying happens with all the weapons. I personally hate ruger spray, it can be very annoying in Voland for example.

TheRelinquished
August 3, 2005, 12:46 am
To Aerial's bullet-power comment, that's already in effect. The bullets slow down, that's why they fall. It's a simple physics engine that employs low gravity and air drag that is pitted against the bullets' velocity in whatever direction. That's why a barret can tear a soldat in half, due to its massive bullet velocity, whereas most bullets merely enter the soldat's body and stay there. This works the same way with attempting to snipe through a team member; the bullet decelerates as it passes through your teammate, often preventing you from having enough bullet speed to kill a soldat instantly.

Look to the soldat manual if you want a readout of the physical qualities of each weapon and how they compare when put into the physics engine.

Secondly, I have to disagree with the idea that nerfing weapons increases skill. That is completely out of perspective, because there's more than one way to "be skillful". Personally, I'm a fair shot, that is, I'm at least average or above depending on the weapon I'm using when it comes to accuracy. But I'm not any kind of pro, in fact, it's mostly reflexes anyway, and I don't have any claim to "mad skill" when it comes to accuracy. But evasion is something that I pride myself in exceeding at. Implementing timed rolls and jumps, appropriate landspeeds and crouch/prone techniques, all of this and more I happen to be very good at. So, instead of having to worry about their barret cutting me in two (because of the massive velocity of the bullet ^_^) I can instead take close range shots while they struggle to reload. There is no exception to this, for being a spas-12 user, I have to rely on close-rangedness, meaning that even a lowly pair of deagles requires a massive amount of skill to get by for my one-two kill.

My point is that if you constantly nerf weapons and try to "boost skill", all you'll really boost is accuracy, and people will sacrafice the precious few more hits that do less damage to find a way to make better use of their own bullets before having to reload. Making a weapon more powerful makes people more wary, however, and they will learn to move around it, even if they have to go through a "barretard"-chanting stage in their gameplay.

So in the end, given the pros and cons, I wouldn't nerf anything unless I had to, and I would only add power to a weapon if it was equally necessary. Nerfing slows down the game too much, and buffing breeds whiners.

As for the original post (sad ain't it?), I like some of the ideas presented, such as giving the chainsaw some ground of its own to stand on (the knife has been top dog for a long time), adding explosion radius to the M79 and even moreso to the LAW, and cutting some of the barret spawn-load-time. These suggestions could honestly make the game more interesting, and perhaps (dare i say it?) more balanced. That's right kids, it's not perfect. We may have found some chinks.

Lastly, as to the shotgun, I agree that its relaod can be buggy, but I don't demand a change anytime soon. Personally, as a frequent user, I find it more than satisfactory. Perhaps it's not for you Vendetta, but believe me, it doesn't need any buffing to compete ^_^.

AerialAssault
August 3, 2005, 12:50 am
i hate it when people say "it creates lag" or "it causes frame rate drops". the game shouldnt be nerfed because your connection speed and/or slow ass computer cant handle it. and claw, it doesnt matter what weapon is being used, when 3 people gang up on you its not going to be easy to come out alive.

TheRelinquished
August 3, 2005, 1:02 am
I was once limited to a slower computer myself, Aerial. I think that we should consider those who don't have fast computers or high speed connections. This isn't some high class game that should only be used by t3h 1337 |-|4><0|?$. It's a very casual game that demands a certain level of consideration on our's as well as Marcinkowski's parts.

That being said, I urge you to find some courtesy for the other players when you post. You're not impressing anyone. And it makes others disinclined to listen to what you have to say.

Flamelessly yours,
TheRelinquished

-Claw-
August 3, 2005, 1:04 am
hmm, if there is 3v1 situation, i think that 3 sprayers kill 1 victim before victim even sees them..
yes, powerfull way to win, also might make opponent to do same..

soo, why do we have bink? to reduce campers..? Whats's wrong in them, dying before seeing them, you cant do ANYTINHG to it, you just die when you enter in campers sight.. same works for spray, you die when you enter to spray zone, so dont nerf camping if not spraying.. :I

Chakra`
August 3, 2005, 1:10 am
We have bink because, back in 1.1.5, there was none. And all anyone ever used, because nothing else compared, was barret and the occasional m79. 1.2.1 put a stop to that.

1.2.2 should hopefully 'nerf spraying', as you say.

('course its a little more complicated than that..)

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 3:03 am
quote:Originally posted by TheRelinquished
Lastly, as to the shotgun, I agree that its relaod can be buggy, but I don't demand a change anytime soon. Personally, as a frequent user, I find it more than satisfactory. Perhaps it's not for you Vendetta, but believe me, it doesn't need any buffing to compete ^_^.

I actually used it today (yes im playing again allready...) and it seemed much better than I was used too. Still I feel it's probably the most underused weapon and it's due to power.

Swarmer
August 3, 2005, 5:11 am
Although this doesnt follow the progression of this thread at all, I have a few suggestions for chainsaw. I'm a big fan of it, and i'll start out with the obvious things that people have probably already said: a larger and longer hitbox. also, ive noticed it is near impossible to kill anyone who is prone. and 100% damage would be so much better than the current 99%-100% or so damage. Sometimes you saw someone and it brings them down to 1 health. whats the point? it seems unncessary to have that inconvenience. If you can get in range, and manage to saw them, you should be rewarded with a kill all the time. A longer clip would be nice too.
something im 50/50 on is the sound. the gasoline engine noises are cool, but they give your posistion away in more covert situations. i still think the noise is necessary, because its cool, but maybe something can be done, such as making the sound travel a much shorter distance, so only people really close to you can hear it.
When using the saw, i find its easier to just go 100% with it, instead of using a primary. the reason for this is that the weapon switch isnt fast enough to activate in time in most situations. you have to have your saw out a good distance before your enemy gets close.so they either run past you right before you can get it sawing, or they stop and kill you now that you dont have your primary out. i dont think weapon change times should be changed though, so i guess this is just something that has to be.
I think saws can be competitive if used right, and these suggestions would popularize it a lot more.

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 6:34 am
if autos over heated or locked up at a random number of consectutive shots it might 'nerf spraying', it could also be realistic with the ak rarly locking up due to its realiability

Captain Ben
August 3, 2005, 7:36 am
I hate it how guns jam. It's especially annoying with knives aswell.

lastpatriot
August 3, 2005, 1:20 pm
I use the shotgun, only for close-quarters stuff, which is what they are made to do. I think it's fine.

Again, I feel that maybe we could add some explosion radius to the LAW and M79, and add new things, instead of constantly arguing about balance.

papasurf31
August 3, 2005, 3:24 pm
I love the irony that Captain Ben and Relinquished both have a black mage as an avatar, and how the styles of each accurately reflect the intelligence and maturity levels of their owners.

As to this subject, I agree with aerial that the weapon balance right now is fine the way it is.

Deagles are good short to medium range weapons, and generally lose effectiveness in long range battles. They have a good rate of fire for a semi-auto, and can kill in 2 to 3 shots. A Small clip size drags it down a bit, but it has a nice quick reload that'll allow you to reload in the middle of a firefight if you can dodge a few shots. THese are deadly in the hands of master, and even more so in realistic, where just one good shot from these beauties are just as effective as a barret to the head.

The mp5 is also short to medium range weapon, and it's arc make it usefull for firing over cover and obstacles, and it ricochets very easily because of that, making hitting proned and crouched opponents easier. It's good points are obviously it's shocking rate of fire, and it's snappy reload. But it's small clip size will find you reloading at inopportune moments a bit too often, and it's accuracy and power are both lacking. At long ranges, the bullets can hit you and do no damage, and they travel slow to boot. But, if you can just keep a bead on them for a second, those small bullets can add up quickly. In realistic, this weapon really shines. It's weak bullet is beefed up immensely by the lower health, taking only about 3-5 shots and recoil is almost nonexistant.

The ak47 is a good rounded weapon, kinda the middle of the spectrum. It's bullets pack a decent punch, and it's rate of fire is good, since it's an auto, and it's pretty accurate. The bullets are flat, but are aimed slightly blow you croshair, so compensate for that. It has a larger than average clip, so you can be firing for a bit longer while your opponent is stil reloading. But, it takes a long time to change that clip, so if your caught empty in the middle of a fight, it's lights out most of the time. In realistic, this gun is great. It's accuracy makes it a good for taking pot shots at long range, and it's powerful round will rip em apart anywhere else. The problem is that, you have to make your first shots count, as recoil is high on this gun, and if you don't get your first few shots in, you will get ripped apart by more powerful semi-autos.

The steyraug, is what would happen if the mp5 and the ak-74 had unprotected sex in the back seat of my van. Er, yeah...It's ROF is between the ak and mp5, It's reload time is between the ak and mp5 and it's bullet is (according to the manual) slightly weaker than the mp5, but keeps it's damage and speed better over distance. The main draw point of this gun is it's unnatural accuracy. This is because, the first shot fired will be below the crosshair, but most subsequent shots while holding down the trigger will be above the crosshair slightly, and since gravity brings the bullet down, will be pretty much dead accurate (note: this apparently only works while your standing). But, if you have the ak or the mp5 both start firing at you at the same time you shoot at them, you will die first if all the shots hit. In realistic, this gun is IMO better than the ak in every way except clip size. Better accuracy, lower recoil, snappier rate fo fire, faster reload, and it takes the same number of shots to kill in most situations.

Ok, I use spas a lot, so I'm gonna be a bit biased here. This is a close range weapon, and that's really it for me. At long ranges, even if you can manage a hit, the pellets will have spread and slowed down so much, you might as well have been /pissing on them. This thing has the power at close quarters. 2 good shots and they're gone, 1 if they're injured. The rate of fire is a bit slow, but if you can dodge, that shouldn't be a problem. You only hav 7 shells, but you can reload them 1 at a time really fast. This is the ideal weapon to have empty in a firefight. You can reload one or teo shell while they slap in they're whole clip, and so you can keep the pressure on while they stare back at you swearing at their reload bar. An annoying bug with the gun is how it misfires while you reload, which sucks.
In realistic, this gun is a 1 hit kill at short to medium ranges, but it's big recoil makes it so that you have to reaim after every shot, which can get annoying and severly slows down your ROF. Paired with a socom, this gun dominates. Hit em with a 12 guage, and then finish em off with just 1 or 2 shots from your socom. PUREPWNAGE. I just can't stress enough though, that this gun does not do well shooting UP at people, but is great for shooting DOWN at them.

Ruger. This gun pisses me off so much, beacause it's extremely difficult gun to use IMO, but is undoubtedly powerful. It has a ROF comparable to the shotty. Its bullet is accurate, fast, and kills in 2 hits. It's a dedicated long to medium range weapon, and i think it's too hard to aim in CQC. It's clip is VERY small, so you'll be reloading a lot. It's pretty quick, but you'll do it often, and that might be the break your opponenet needs to blow you away. This gun is overpowered to the max in realistic. 1 hit kills half the time, and the rest they are left with just a sliver of health, easy to finish off with anything. The recoil is immense, but it doesn't matter much when they died on your FIRST SHOT!

m79. For the love of all that is holy, I can not use this gun. It is powerful, it has splash damage, it doesn't matter how far away you are when you get hit, you will die. It fires slower than a barret, IS affected by bink, and the bullet travels about as fast as an obese man up a hill. I don't use this gun often, but I know that it's a short range weapon, and not TOO short either. If you fire at a guy point blank, you will feel the pain. I've seen people spam nades, then fire at the cluster to make em ALL explode. Use this tactic for ground enemies, IT WORKS. It's hard to hit things in the air, but if you do, it's a very satisfying kill. In realistic, this gun pales a bit. You will die too fast to effectvely use it at it's optimal range, and it's hard to hit anything from farther away. The huge recoil doesn't matter, because you'll most likely be DEAD before you can reload. It's great duelling gun though, especially on a small map like arena 2.

Barret. Yeah, this gun is fine. It's your basic instagib weapon. 1 shot kill no matter what. Slow as fu<k ROF, slower than fu<k reload, and it's accurate to a pixel. Did i mention the scope? Yeah, so they will kill you before you even know they exist. This gun is deadly in the hands of master, and still powerful in the hands of a squirrel. Thnks to bink though, the short range effective ness of this gun has been removed all but completely.
In realsitic, It's stil pretty popular and useful, even though the scout semms to make it obselete. It still kills in one shot, the bullet's still faster then a nigger running from the police, and it still has a scope.

Minimi. This is basically an ak. It has larger magazine, so that means the reload time can be considerred an "era". It's a bit weaker, and I think the ROF might be a tad slower. But it's just about the same gun. You aim, you shoot. And you'll still be shooting while they struggle to reload. That's nice. The recoil on this baby is a bit high, and it's not quite as accurate as the ak. But, any strategies with the ak can easily be adapted to this gun.

Finally, the minigun. Now, I don't ever use this weapo unless it's really nessacary. It's ROF is incredible, as you'd expect. It has a small charge up period, which is is loud and just about gets me killed every time I try to use it. It's the most innacurate gun EVER, it's bullets hurt about as much as an mp5 shot, probabaly less. But, this gun is not weapon so mucha s a second jetpack (if you know what I mean :P) Use this, and an m79 to qucikly get in and out of enmy bases. While your there, you can spray a bit to push people back, then get the hell out of there. Other than that, I don't see much use in it. I used to like it a lot, but now it's lost a lo of it's appeal. It's just as weak in realistic, if not more. The charge up time means you will die. The innacurate sprays mean you will die. The immense recoil means you will die while shooting at the ceiling. The year long reload means, you guessed it, YOU WILL DIE. And the 100 round magazine simply means you will die while leaving your opponenets a well loaded useless weapon.