( search forums )
Demonic's map-making method
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
DeMonIc
August 3, 2005, 1:48 pm
Ok, I've decided to share my easy, fast and fairly nice method of map making.
You'll need Markjp's MapMaker+. Start the mapmaker, and make something like this:

[IMAGE]

-See her? That little square will build you your maps. I make maps out of 15-20 squares like that myself. Learn to love her.

After you've got that lil square, start using the divide polygon tool. Shift+right click near the outer surface of the polygon. Do that with all four a few times, and you'll get something like this:

[IMAGE]

-Now here comes the tricky part. Depending on what elevation you choose for the terrain, you have to choose the shading elevation aswell. Imagine a line like this:

[IMAGE]

-Time to get on with the shading. The top of the surface should be colour A. Colour the middle of the form with a nice colour that fits the theme of the map. The bottom colours should be darker, that's the way to light. Use the colour brush tool, it's the mappers best friend.

[IMAGE]

-Great, now that's progress. Time to place another form like that next to the last one. Don't forget to keep the elevation you planned, otherwise you'll get something weird. This also concludes this guide. The following two pictures will help you in how to place forms like that next to each other.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Swebonny
August 3, 2005, 1:52 pm
WOW that was a amzing guide:D YOu should do more :D:D:D Amazing!

STICKY!!!

LazehBoi
August 3, 2005, 3:31 pm
The dividing polygon tool wins.
Nice guide.

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 3:38 pm
Very ingenious method. About the MapMaker+, I think Polyworks has some damn advanced features (EG: Stalky's Space Station), it still lacks the simplicity of MapMaker+. GJ, hope its stickyfied.

N1nj@
August 3, 2005, 4:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by azntrashcanVery ingenious method. About the MapMaker+, I think Polyworks has some damn advanced features (EG: Stalky's Space Station), it still lacks the simplicity of MapMaker+. GJ, hope its stickyfied.
That's because PW is unfinish, genius. Wait till its finish, and it will own all the map maker in the world.

papasurf31
August 4, 2005, 12:13 am
Yes, Polyworks will be able to do things like this with much more ease intuitiveness for the new and veteran mapmakers. Get the newest version at #soldat.polyworks in irc Quakenet. YEAH!

DeMonIc
August 14, 2005, 6:13 pm
But until Polyworks is finished, people can try to make quality maps with MM+. Which is easy, as you can see :P

Deleted User
August 15, 2005, 9:53 pm
WøW :P what a nice work:p

Deleted User
August 15, 2005, 10:01 pm
But it was empty in the Scenery, so i can't make an map!

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 16, 2005, 4:12 am
You whipper snappers and your "New Methods" are all going to hell! *cough cough* Man I'm old.

Manual Shading/Poly Placing Forever!!!!

DeMonIc
August 16, 2005, 10:45 am
Lately I have tried Polyworks, and I'd like to state that this method is possible with polyworks aswell.

LazehBoi
August 16, 2005, 10:54 am
It is? Isn't it a bit more complicated and slow, though?

DeMonIc
August 16, 2005, 11:17 am
Well, you have to select the middle of the square shape, do 3-4 ctrl+l's, then move the outer verticles around so that it looks like you want it. It's not slower or complicated, just different.

Deleted User
August 16, 2005, 12:42 pm
I love the imaginary line technique, I think its a fantastic way to shade the map.

LazehBoi
August 16, 2005, 12:51 pm
Ah, I see. It makes sense. I'll try it out a bit.

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 8:01 am
Cool!! It works and it looks good. I tried it (although unable to open it properly) but from the look in my Mapmaker it looks good lol.

sande24
August 20, 2005, 6:29 pm
that's how i always make maps :P actually i do what fits the best...