( search forums )
I'm ready for 1.3.1!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
aprilninety
August 4, 2005, 12:41 am
ok, so i sholud've thought of this before.

How about a soldat "previous version" drop down menu. the 1.3.1 would basically have all the previous version listed in a drop-down menu. you can select the version you'd want to change back to.

think it'd make the soldat installer a huge file? i dont think so. the drop down menu could act like a switch command in C:

switch (version#) {
case 1: printf("running version 1.0.4\n");
//in 1.0.4 there was no knife, law, or saw.
//that means that the program would TURN OFF those //weapons!
default: printf("running version 1.3\n");
break;
}

so, basically the bink variable would get turned off in an older version. i dont know how the soldat code looks like...and maybe MM wrote the game so that each function could be toggled TRUE or FALSE (ON or OFF).

this method would let us hold weekends where we go back and play old versions! (just for that weekend!) plus, you wouldn't have to download every previous version of soldat to run them, you'd just download the latest one...

anyone NOT understand?:D

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 11:45 am
i get it and its a very interesting concept, i must agree, we could have 1.2.1 weekends :P

FliesLikeABrick
August 9, 2005, 3:44 pm
this would require constructing a new dedicated server intended to run these older versions. this can be simulated now by setting up a server and removing weapons that weren't in older versions, and changing the weapon balance to match older versions.

It is very easy to match this given the modding capabilities in the servers now, and adding this feature wouldn't benefit the players much at all, it is easier to just do it now by setting up multiple server folders and running the one that you want to play. the dedicated server supports command line functions to run multiple copies of soldat.ini depending on which you want to run as well.

there are many options to mod server right now that would achieve the exact same thing as this without reverting to old versions

KeFear
August 9, 2005, 4:08 pm
as far as i know you can specify soldat.ini to run and weapons ini also. so you can now make weapon mods with older soldat settings, and run soldatserver as you wish.

FliesLikeABrick
August 9, 2005, 4:56 pm
thank you kefear for not reading the entire thread and saying the exact same thing that i said

aprilninety
August 9, 2005, 5:24 pm
ah darn... i thought of it before 1.3 came out! ;)

so who's up for a weekend fun of my favorite 1.0.4! Go Socom!