( search forums )
This is the end.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
MonkeyHead79
August 5, 2005, 10:20 pm
Okay, I really hate to say it, but I think this could well be the death of the game for me. I've been bored with 1.2.1 for quite some time, thought maybe the new version would have enough new stuff to get me interested again, but after something like 20 minutes I'm already so pissed off with the new feel of the weapons that I can't be BOTHERED playing for a week or two to try to get used to them. I've played the game so much without self-binking that just having it tacked on like that all of a sudden is way too much of a shock.

It may well be true that the weapons are better balanced now, but self-binking is completely killing it for me. If I had been forced to play with recoil since the introduction of Realistic mode, I would have quit playing a long time ago. The self-binking is pretty much the same thing to me. I do appreciate most of the other changes: new game mode, backflip, flame god changes, music volume slider affecting the mp3 playlist, et cetara... but no. Sorry. I can't take the self-binking. Radical changes to firing rate, reload rate, and general bullet damage I could live with, but not this. Sorry if that seems a bit shallow-minded. If I ever get back into the game, I'll be reverting to 1.2.1 and playing against either bots or a select few friends online.

I still respect the game for all it has to offer and for all the updates that have been made to it over the years, I even registered for myself and a couple friends, but this probably really is it for me. What little interest I had remaining in the game has been completely killed off.

Ciao.

ráz0r
August 5, 2005, 10:22 pm
Sprayer.

Deleted User
August 5, 2005, 10:25 pm
Play on a server with default 1.2.1 weapon settings? I'm sure there will be plenty.

DT
August 5, 2005, 10:32 pm
self blinking is going to be awsome
be glad that its self bink instead of recoil like in realistic
recoil is worse

LazehBoi
August 5, 2005, 10:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by DTself blinking is going to be awsome
be glad that its self bink instead of recoil like in realistic
recoil is worse

You can use the same method to pass it, too!
I guess the people who have played realistic have an advantage to this learning curve. Oh snap.

MonkeyHead79
August 5, 2005, 10:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by ráz0rSprayer.

Well, excuse me for wanting to be able to play the game the same way I've been playing it since I started well over a year ago.

Hoodlum
August 5, 2005, 10:42 pm
I really don't like the self binking but I guess I will have to get used to it.

Golum
August 5, 2005, 10:43 pm
Then go and play the old version and be happy

_Mancer_
August 5, 2005, 10:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by MonkeyHead79quote:Originally posted by ráz0rSprayer.

Well, excuse me for wanting to be able to play the game the same way I've been playing it since I started well over a year ago.

If you have been playing for a year then you would have known that everyone would be (Please refrain from swearing)ing about the new version. It came out today, Suck it up and wait a week to see if you really hate it or not, or if you want to still keep whining about it then use another weapon or just give up and quit.

Those are the only options you have, MM isnt going to ditch selfbink just because you cant spray and kill people anymore. It takes skill now. Get used to it.

Hoodlum
August 5, 2005, 10:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by GolumThen go and play the old version and be happy
Thats just stupid.

Why would you want to play bots over and over? It will get boring. It is much better playing actual people but there may still be some noobs playing 1.2.1 as they don't know about the new version.

Kirby_106
August 5, 2005, 10:46 pm
I to, dont like the sb, but I will get used to it...hopefully...

Zegovia
August 5, 2005, 10:52 pm
DUDE! you dont have to hold down the fire button so the bink-o-meter goes up.
frequently press it instead, it works.

NavySeal
August 5, 2005, 11:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hoodlumquote:Originally posted by GolumThen go and play the old version and be happy
Thats just stupid.

Why would you want to play bots over and over? It will get boring. It is much better playing actual people but there may still be some noobs playing 1.2.1 as they don't know about the new version.
You guys didn't read the stuff MM posted, YOU CAN CHANGE BACK TO OLD WEAPONS IN V1.3
Check in your soldat map and you will find weapons121.ini There is the old weapons, now just replace it with the new one and tada you have old weapons in the new version

aprilninety
August 5, 2005, 11:10 pm
monkeyhead79...

dont be so pessimistic! look at this as an oppurtunity for you NOT to be bored with soldat, since you said you were. Try a new, different weapon on, and master it. Or, you could learn to get used to this new binking thing! this is the perfect chance for you to see how good you are in soldat - that is, how well you can adapt to the game.

People in these forums have gone through what you have countless times. When laws and knives came into the game I had a hard time changing my patterns of shooting too, and ended up hacing to learn how to use more, different weapons.

Don't quit cause it got hard! This is where it gets fun! :)

Zero72
August 5, 2005, 11:12 pm
This is a serious blow to my love of Soldat, as well. I cannot remember the last time I was more disappointed in something. I was really psyched when I came on to find the new version released, and the more I learned about it, and the more I played it, the more that joy went straight to hell.

I will honestly try to get used to it, but I should not have to (Please refrain from swearing)ing adjust to crap. I do not appreciate the work put in by the beta-testers, because the result sucks.

I'm not sure if I'll even be playing Soldat at all in a week.

Chunky
August 5, 2005, 11:12 pm
pfff baby

_Mancer_
August 5, 2005, 11:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by Zero72This is a serious blow to my love of Soldat, as well. I cannot remember the last time I was more disappointed in something. I was really psyched when I came on to find the new version released, and the more I learned about it, and the more I played it, the more that joy went straight to hell.

I will honestly try to get used to it, but I should not have to (Please refrain from swearing)ing adjust to crap. I do not appreciate the work put in by the beta-testers, because the result sucks.

I'm not sure if I'll even be playing Soldat at all in a week.

It came out TODAY. Try a f*cking new strategy and wait a week, (Please refrain from swearing).

You're just one of the many on previous releases that "I want pity because this version sucks for me" people.

Really, TRY something different. Ruger reload time is longer, I have to adjust the times I reload and portion the enemys I take on so I dont get slammed. Before it was easy, but I'm already getting used to it.

Just fire in burts, it works the same way.

aprilninety
August 5, 2005, 11:17 pm
hmm, sounds like the communtiy could care less about raising the difficulty of the game by throwing in self-binking.

more about having fun than being difficult, eh?

Zero72
August 5, 2005, 11:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by Zero72I will honestly try to get used to it...
That part's pretty important. I haven't given up completely yet. Relax.

MonkeyHead79
August 5, 2005, 11:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_

It came out TODAY. Try a f*cking new strategy and wait a week, (Please refrain from swearing).

You're just one of the many on previous releases that "I want pity because this version sucks for me" people.

Really, TRY something different. Ruger reload time is longer, I have to adjust the times I reload and portion the enemys I take on so I dont get slammed. Before it was easy, but I'm already getting used to it.

Just fire in burts, it works the same way.

Answer me this: WHY? WHY should we have to adjust to this (Please refrain from swearing)? WHY should we have to make up new strategies to compensate? WHY couldn't the old system have been kept? It may have been theoretically inferior, but I didn't hear too many people (Please refrain from swearing)ing about weapons imbalance in 1.2.1.

Having to repeatedly tap fire to avoid excessive binking has pretty much the same result as spraying, but it's harder on both the mouse and my finger, it's more annoying, more inconvenient, and it just isn't NECESSARY.

madchal
August 5, 2005, 11:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by NavySealquote:Originally posted by Hoodlumquote:Originally posted by GolumThen go and play the old version and be happy
Thats just stupid.

You guys didn't read the stuff MM posted, YOU CAN CHANGE BACK TO OLD WEAPONS IN V1.3
Check in your soldat map and you will find weapons121.ini There is the old weapons, now just replace it with the new one and tada you have old weapons in the new version

so..you can play with 1.2.1 weapons in 1.3 servers?

crazymonkey
August 5, 2005, 11:23 pm
Wow, I really hated the reload on ruger, but after playing with it for 4 hours it's like nothing ever changed. It's not like it takes 20 minutes to master a weapon.

NavySeal
August 5, 2005, 11:24 pm
Seems you didn't read my post

YOU CAN CHANGE BACK TO YOUR OLD BELOVED WEAPONS IN V1.3
Check in your soldat map and you will find weapons121.ini There is the old weapons, now just replace it with the new one and tada you have old weapons in the new version. OR find another server that has these settings I allready found one

MonkeyHead79
August 5, 2005, 11:27 pm
True. Being able to change to the 1.2.1 weapons settings is a nice option. But now the vast majority of servers are undoubtedly going to be using the 1.3 weapons settings, and it was hard enough to find a decent server to play on before this.

Also...
If you have been playing for a year then you would have known that everyone would be (Please refrain from swearing)ing about the new version.

I have in fact been playing at least that long, but just because I've been playing for said length of time doesn't mean that I have latent psychic abilities, nor does it mean I magically got to be a beta tester. True, I have (Please refrain from swearing)ed about some additions and changes in the past, but I was always able to get used to them. Not quite so easy this time.

As for the addition of the knife and M72 as secondary weapons, I didn't really have to adjust to that very much at all. They were new weapons which I had to get used to being killed with, but they weren't replacing or modifying the existing weapons. In fact, the knife turned out to be my new favourite secondary weapon by a long shot.

quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_It takes skill now. Get used to it.

And you're saying it never did?

grand_diablo
August 5, 2005, 11:31 pm
quote:[i].
What little interest I had remaining in the game has been completely killed off.

Ciao.

If youre not able to change your play style with autos to a more intelligent one (like taking cover and shooting on sight in bursts), then... good bye.

PS; Read between the lines

Kazuki
August 6, 2005, 12:00 am
You do not appreciate the work put in by us? Hmm, let's analyze this:

First of all, we spent weeks on end doing clanwars day after day, concentrating completely on weapon balance. We've tried many methods, including mixed scrimmages, autos vs semi-autos with alternating teams, etc. We even gathered data on how many hits it takes to kill someone and put that into the bunch. We've spent countless hours trying to make the balance what we think you, the public, would think is perfect. And how do you counter this? You read the change log? You counter our many hours of experience with these settings with the fact that you read the changes log? ... I really don't have much more to say.

Maybe next beta version we won't even change anything. It's the same every version; people whine and whine and whine, and some are so stubborn that they stop playing just because they keep to their opinion even though they're beginning to think "Hey, this isn't so bad." The moods of you people never improves no matter what we do, so why the f*ck should we even try?

The Geologist
August 6, 2005, 12:01 am
Heaven forbid you be bothered to learn how to play in the new version.

Pfft...could you be a little more egocentric? As others have said, this version is only just recently released. Yet all you can seem to say is "why should I be bothered?", "why should I have to deal with it?". If you're so quick to give up on the game then don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out, but please don't sit here like an ungrateful child and moan about how much you hate this that and the other, and how pissed you are after the game has barely been released for a matter of days. Make use of the options available to you; it might be nice to make something interesting out of this oh-so-massive inconvenience to you. If you really do respect the updates and the game then I'm sure you can do it. Yet your cries of outrage are nothing new, and they echo out into nothingness just like the others who have felt the need to voice the way in which MM/Soldat inconvenienced them by releasing an updated version of the game.

I'm sure people strive to improve the game and release new versions just to piss off people like you. That has to be it.

Kazuki
August 6, 2005, 12:04 am
Also, I thought I'd point you to the file: weapons.ini. Michal implemented this idea entirely for people like you, who just aren't pleased no matter what. You can customize your weapons in almost every way, including ridding them of self-bink, bink, and everything else you can think of. Hopefully you won't have to be bothered to learn about that, too.

Edit: Excuse me for being a jackass, but I just wasn't expecting these types of attitudes towards this version. Silly me. Can't believe I forgot how the release of 1.2.1 went.

Outcast
August 6, 2005, 12:06 am
Self binking doesn't really bother me.

lastpatriot
August 6, 2005, 12:14 am
Me neither. I fired in short bursts in all versions to 1. Be realisitic, 2. Prevent recoil in Realistic mode, and 3. conserve ammo.

Now, there is another reason. Quit whining and get used to it. In fact, I like it. Not only does it add to the above 3, it lessens my opponent's aim, who try to spray

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 12:24 am
MonkeyHead79...grow up.

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 12:29 am
MonkeyHead79, No offense to you in any way, but making a thread about yourself quitting soldat because of the new version is not going to accomplish anything. To be honest, most of us dont even care if 3 or 4 whiners like yourself are going to quit the game. It just makes it better for us.

AerialAssault
August 6, 2005, 12:30 am
quote:Originally posted by grand_diabloquote:[i].
What little interest I had remaining in the game has been completely killed off.

Ciao.

If youre not able to change your play style with autos to a more intelligent one (like taking cover and shooting on sight in bursts), then... good bye.

PS; Read between the lines
ive not played the new version much yet, so i wont judge it just yet. but i want to stress how perfect i felt that weapon balance was in 1.2.1. i say this as a user of all weapons. in 1.2 the barrett was the supreme weapon due do its perfect accuracy, high speed bullet, and one shot kill. in 1.2 autos suffered being low powered and not powerful enough to compare to the barrett. this imbalance was met with the bink effect and a slight power increase for autos. in 1.2.1, the barrett problem was finally over. being rushed by an autoer when you had a barrett was too much for you, and the weapon had become one where you had to hit that first shot from a distance before they hit you or it was over.

but later on, people started complaining about "spray". that was, in my opinion a very idiotic complaint. considering they are automatic weapons, meant to spray out alot of bullets to kill the enemy. the main thing is that alot of soldat players are too stupid to choose the right kind of weapon for a certain situation. such as people who use a barrett on a crowded server at Arena2. some say they only complain when autoers fire off their screen with no acual target. from my very first day playing soldat, which has been well over 2 years. I HAVE NEVER been killed by someone with an auto who was spraying towards an enemy base with no specific target. the "spray" complaint was illogical and i'd like to strangle anyone who ever complained about it.

with the new version's release, i played it for about 20 minutes. and while i dont feel that soldat is ruined. i do think that soldat is becoming a slower paced game. the recoiless, semi-accurate continuous fire from all the weapons was the very thing that gave soldat its fast paced, non-stop, bloody action. now that firing autos has been confined to basically only 3 round bursts. i believe other weapons such as the desert eagles, the ruger, shotgun, and barrett are going to have an unfair advantage. what im trying to say, is that with self bink and the need to fire in short bursts with the autos has all but crippled them against the other weapons. the automatics now have highly realistic qualities whereas the other weapons are still very much arcady. my point, is that i believe now that autos are all but useless. when the long range kill is more suited to a ruger or barrett. and when in close combat, deagles or the spas would be a much better choice as always. but now the auto's "middle of the road" appeal is lost i think. maybe im wrong. only time will tell.

Pixofied
August 6, 2005, 12:35 am
You get used to self bink very quickly, I have. Its not hard... Oo

- I do wish Magazines/Clips had been put in... for realistic purposes. I mean, how much would that add? Alot; No more spraying, or blind shooting. You would INDEED have to AIM. I was hoping this would have been put it, oh well... I await the next version! (Would add so much...)

lastpatriot
August 6, 2005, 12:44 am
What's the fuss about?

Were people whining about bink when it first came out? I don't recall...

MonkeyHead79
August 6, 2005, 12:45 am
quote:Originally posted by PoopMonkeyHead79, No offense to you in any way, but making a thread about yourself quitting soldat because of the new version is not going to accomplish anything. To be honest, most of us dont even care if 3 or 4 whiners like yourself are going to quit the game. It just makes it better for us.

In response to you, Stalky, and Geologist, I don't think I'm being entirely unreasonable. I'm not just a pithy little "whiner". I have stood by all of the changes implemented in Soldat thus far, even if I was a little uncomfortable with some of them at first. And I don't imagaine I'm alone in my opinion that the self-binking utterly sucks. Obviously there are quite a few of you who can tolerate it just fine, and even consider it an improvement. But has it occurred to you that perhaps, just perhaps, when so many people including the beta testers absolutely hate it right off the bat, even if they are able to get used to it in time, then perhaps it is not in fact such a wonderful thing? Just a thought.

Again, things like self-binking should be what the Realistic mode is reserved for. There are plenty of people who like that mode, I'm just not one of them. There also seem to be plenty of people who like the self-binking -- I'm just not one of them. I mean, things like the deagles and spas-12 are fine. The MP5 is still reasonably intact. But things like the AK-74 and steyr-AUG have been completely raped. If you're going to slap self-binking on the automatics, then that leaves users of things like the deagles and spas at an advantage by default. I just... oh, bugger it. I hate the binking and nothing's going to change that. Soldat has been fine for so many versions without it, and again, just tacking it on like that is certainly going to piss numerous people off. Perhaps I'm just somewhat less tolerant than others.

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 12:48 am
quote:Originally posted by MonkeyHead79
blablablablablablablablablablablablablabla

Give yourself a week, and you'll love it just as we all do. It takes time to change, and you'll come to realize that this is for the better - And if you don't like it? Go play on a server with 1.2.1 weapons. It's not such a big deal. Now, if you're done making such a big deal over nothing, I believe this topic can come to an end.

MonkeyHead79
August 6, 2005, 12:52 am
I really don't understand you people. But fine, if nobody believes me, be that way. I would give myself a week to get used to it, but I just can't put up with it the way it is. Yes, perhaps I'll still play on some servers with 1.2.1 weapons settings. Whatever. Somebody go ahead and lock this now if they see fit.

Judge_Man
August 6, 2005, 1:00 am
Lol.

As an M79 users, I am REALLY happy about this version. M79 wallbug is fixed and nadebug too, so i won't find myself suiciding every 2 sec. HTF mode is REAL nice. BackFlip is kinda in the way when you want to m79 jump, but I already got the hang of it and backflip is sexy.
The New Ragdoll Effect IS SO DAMN NICE OMG I just can't stop laughing when i blast someone hard with my m79 and his body parts fly everywhere at an incredible speed!! haha

So, MonkeyThing, Just Enjoy the new version cause it's really Fun. If you're not able to use auto anymore then switch.

Kazuki
August 6, 2005, 1:01 am
quote:Originally posted by MonkeyHead79
But has it occurred to you that perhaps, just perhaps, when so many people including the beta testers absolutely hate it right off the bat, even if they are able to get used to it in time, then perhaps it is not in fact such a wonderful thing? Just a thought.

Yes, and it has also occurred to us that the one of the reasons people think it's such a bad aspect is because they're so used to what they have been playing thus far. To add on, it was the same way when bink was introduced. Lots and lots of people whined, but many were fine with it a bit after the release.

Zero72
August 6, 2005, 1:13 am
quote:Originally posted by KazukiYou do not appreciate the work put in by us? Hmm, let's analyze this:

First of all, we spent weeks on end doing clanwars day after day, concentrating completely on weapon balance. We've tried many methods, including mixed scrimmages, autos vs semi-autos with alternating teams, etc. We even gathered data on how many hits it takes to kill someone and put that into the bunch. We've spent countless hours trying to make the balance what we think you, the public, would think is perfect. And how do you counter this? You read the change log? You counter our many hours of experience with these settings with the fact that you read the changes log? ... I really don't have much more to say.

Maybe next beta version we won't even change anything. It's the same every version; people whine and whine and whine, and some are so stubborn that they stop playing just because they keep to their opinion even though they're beginning to think "Hey, this isn't so bad." The moods of you people never improves no matter what we do, so why the f*ck should we even try?
I understand that you did do a lot of work. I'd appreciate it a lot more if you hadn't decided that it was necessary to screw up the automatics. That's the thing I hate. Everything else is fine. The automatics have gone to hell.

I'll try to adjust, I honestly will, but I really wish I didn't have to. If I wanted to have to fire in bursts because it was more realistic, there's a mode for that.

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 1:25 am
Personally I KINDA like the self bink. I really don't care that much, gives soldat more of a challenge I guess. As for the weakening of some guns, I'm not sure...

(by the way... I like the extra distance on the chainsaw ^_^ and whats real odd... I think the delay on the law makes me aim better with it....)

AerialAssault
August 6, 2005, 2:35 am
i really dislike the delay for the LAW, i cant imagine why there was even a point to that.

Kazuki
August 6, 2005, 2:47 am
I can understand that, Zero, and I'm sorry for being such a jackass about it. I just honestly expected a big "HURRAH!" from everyone. =| Guess it's not happening.

MonkeyHead79
August 6, 2005, 2:47 am
Funnily enough, the delay on the LAW was one of the things I thought was just fine. I mean, the LAW is an insanely powerful weapon for its one shot, and forcing it to charge up (for not even as long as the minigun) makes it that little bit extra more challenging to use. (For those of you who are about to say that's all the self-binking is doing, I still disagree.) Out of all the changes in the latest update though, I'm surprised it's the LAW delay that other guy considered "gayed up" and left because of. :p

And, looking back on it -- isn't "spraying" the tactic of basically firing your gun in the general direction of a clump of enemies and hoping for a kill? I rarely did that anyway; it's the mid-range situations that are messed up for me now. Where both you and your enemy are on the screen, firing back and forth, and the other person has something like a ruger or the deagles and is landing every shot directly in your face, whilst you're blasting away and 70% of your shots are flying clear over his head or embedding themselves in the dirt.

After forcing myself through another play session, I've decided I might be able to survive with the deagles and spas and possibly M79 (just what we need; more M79 (Please refrain from swearing)), but the majority of the automatics are still trashed.

Kazuki
August 6, 2005, 2:49 am
Heh. Actually, a lot of people are disappointed about the new version. I feel like crap about it now.

We honestly thought we had done a good job, though it doesn't appear to be that way. I was so excited about the version being released because I thought we'd get a nice burst of joy in the community. Damn :(

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 2:52 am
Well I'm happy about it >_>. Can't wait till its fully done

Which reminds me, I think I found some odd bug with the flamer. I was alone in my own Hold the flag room and I picked up a flamer. After the timer reached zero... I still had the flamer in my possession and was still able to shoot it O_o. Heh, cool...unlimited flamer.

LazehBoi
August 6, 2005, 2:55 am
Weren't a lot of people sprayers anyway? Weren't a lot of people barretards?
Big changes are never good, but the people who either like it somewhat or learn to live with it will stay.
I've seen it happen before with other games. Don't worry about it.

quote:Originally posted by Mister AngryWell I'm happy about it >_>. Can't wait till its fully done

Which reminds me, I think I found some odd bug with the flamer. I was alone in my own Hold the flag room and I picked up a flamer. After the timer reached zero... I still had the flamer in my possession and was still able to shoot it O_o. Heh, cool...unlimited flamer.

Yeah. Michal added it in the change log. The flamer is like, godly now.

AerialAssault
August 6, 2005, 2:57 am
i still stand by my claim that weapon balance in 1.2.1 was absolutely perfect. and i hold a deep, unrelenting hate for anyone whos ever called an auto user a "sprayer", its so moronic. you beta testers were obviously so fixated on dumbing down the autos to what you saw as an acceptable level. ill say it again ill say it a million times, 1.2.1 was perfect. but as a compromise, i think that the self bink should be reduced so that it doesnt occur as quickly. and i think it should be halved when crouched, and non-existant when prone.

MonkeyHead79
August 6, 2005, 3:01 am
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssaulti still stand by my claim that weapon balance in 1.2.1 was absolutely perfect. and i hold a deep, unrelenting hate for anyone whos ever called an auto user a "sprayer", its so moronic. you beta testers were obviously so fixated on dumbing down the autos to what you saw as an acceptable level. ill say it again ill say it a million times, 1.2.1 was perfect. but as a compromise, i think that the self bink should be reduced so that it doesnt occur as quickly. and i think it should be halved when crouched, and non-existant when prone.

Personally, I did actually think the deagles were a tad overpowered. Just a tad. But the fact that I was able to pwn ass with any weapon except the Minimi should probably say something. :p

At the very least, that lowering of the self-binking for crouching and prone sounds like a good idea. Much more realistic.

The Geologist
August 6, 2005, 3:18 am
If I had the option, I'd go back to 1.2.1 balance, and with the numbers of people voicing their discontent I can see why. -.- Sorry if I snapped, I see your point now yet still hold my own, if that makes sense. I believe that if the issue is so pressing, then servers offering balance more suited to previous versions should be properly noted and promoted.

LazehBoi
August 6, 2005, 3:18 am
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssaulti think that the self bink should be reduced so that it doesnt occur as quickly. and i think it should be halved when crouched, and non-existant when prone.

People will just go prone in the air and spray, then. That is very extreme, and i'm pretty sure it's already implemented.

Anyway, currently most, if not all of the servers that I see in the server list (All five of them!) are using their own set of weapons. I say just give it some time for people to be hosting serious servers, try a clan war or two (or play public) and form your opinion then.

VodkaZombie
August 6, 2005, 3:22 am
Changes happen all the time, big deal we went another version up and we've fixed something people always complained about. I'm sure all we need is a little getting used to.

The Geologist
August 6, 2005, 3:33 am
quote:Originally posted by LazehBoi
Anyway, currently most, if not all of the servers that I see in the server list (All five of them!) are using their own set of weapons. I say just give it some time for people to be hosting serious servers, try a clan war or two (or play public) and form your opinion then.

Have you tried removing the weapon mod servers from the filter? There are many more servers up and running.

Raptor
August 6, 2005, 3:41 am
I actually like the changes in Soldat 1.3 (I love the blink effect), but now I see many members pissed off by the changes, EVERYONE is complaining. But we have to understand that we don't want easy games to play here, now we have to get used to the changes.

Judge_Man
August 6, 2005, 3:45 am
Awwwww. Kaz... I'M really happy about this new version if it can makes you feel a little better.
You did a great Job!

LazehBoi
August 6, 2005, 3:46 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologistquote:Originally posted by LazehBoi

Have you tried removing the weapon mod servers from the filter? There are many more servers up and running.

Oh.
...Why is the WM filter enabled by default?

MonkeyHead79
August 6, 2005, 4:02 am
Moving away from the binking for a moment, I really do like the rest of the updates to this version. Having the music slider affect the mp3 playlist is something I've been wanting for a long time. HTF is a welcome addition, even though I haven't had much time with it yet. The backflip is a bit weird, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it being there, and it could probably come in handy for dodging grenades and M79 shells. The improved corpse physics are interesting. The bonus frequency adjuster, which seemed to be broken for 1.2.1, is back to normal. The changes to the Flame God are... interesting, I'm not sure if I consider them an improvement or not, but it's something new that doesn't immediately scream out "CRAP" to me. :p The chainsaw improvements are nice too. Finally, the ability to throw the flag is appreciated, although a bit awkwardly implemented -- the controls seem strange, but I admittedly can't think of any better method. The weirdest thing about it is how the flag sort of teleports 5 feet out in front of you instead of just flying off your person.

See? I can be positive. It's just the binking that's really getting on my nerves. :p

Kazuki
August 6, 2005, 4:12 am
Aw, Judge. You don't matter. The world doesn't matter ... Life sucks ...

... AHAHAHAHHA! I heart you. :)

Zero72
August 6, 2005, 5:15 am
Alright. This afternoon was not my finest moment, so let me sit down and start acting rationally again.

You see, I'm mainly an automatic user -- the MP5 is my weapon of choice, and the AK74 was my second-favorite in 1.2.1 -- so when they completely changed the way they work on me, this really irritated me. When I'm angry, I do not think rationally, as you may have noticed.

I guess I can adjust if I really need to, because it is still Soldat, but I'm still just really disappointed in this change. I, for one, have never had problems with spraying. That, like Barrett camping, simply calls for a change in strategy, and was just part of the game. I could live with it. Now, however, they've flipped everything clean upside down in order to get around it, and I'm really suffering over it. I can understand its use as an anti-spraying measure, in a way, but it's been seriously overdone. I might be able to deal if the progression was a little more gradual, if you know what I mean. You can barely spend the bullets to kill somebody in one go before you start spraying all over half the map... in my experience so far, anyway.

On a slightly less important note, I also dislike the backflip. Seems pointless and slightly annoying to me.

Jello
August 6, 2005, 5:16 am
Oh, for god's sake, bink complaints are a bunch of bullsh*t anyways. Who cares if your crosshairs get a little bigger?! There's still that dot in the center of them, isn't there? And you can tell where the middle of that dot is, can't you? Thus you can deduce the general area your shot will go relative to the center of the dot on your slightly larger crosshairs! And if you're using autos in the first place, you can often tell where your bullets will go relative the ones you've already fired, since they fire in continuous streams. Honestly, I just played the new version with autos this morning and did just fine. Better than with M79, in fact, which is arguebly (sp?) the weapon I have spent the most time using lately.

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 7:07 am
The point to nerfing the LAW is so that you dont have an instant kill secondary weapon with tremendous range to abuse. It was almost like having a barett as a secondary before.

The Self-Bink is an awsome addition, now autos are much more balanced, you cant just run through a death match with an AK holding the trigger down. Yup 1.3 rocks, you naysayers are as wrong as wrong can be, Micheal Jacksons neverland ranch wrong infact.

Chakra`
August 6, 2005, 7:22 am
Hey Kazuki...you know I like to gamble right. Got paypal?

I bet you a fiver all the auto users who said selfbink sucks in this thread change their mind in two weeks.

Judge_Man
August 6, 2005, 7:51 am
YAY kazuki Hearts me!!!

And you're right chak. That's probably what will happen.

[2 weeks in a autowhore head]

-autowhore: OMGOMG SB SUCKS OMGOMG /quit soldat
*plays a bit of soldat*
-autowhore: GOd damn SB ARGAGRAGARGA
*plays more*
-Well it's not that bad after all, and i got better!! :)

[end]

EDIT: ZOMG!!! IMAGE REMOVED !?!?!?! it wasn't too big..? what's the prob? lol

Captain Ben
August 6, 2005, 8:07 am
quote:Originally posted by MonkeyHead79True. Being able to change to the 1.2.1 weapons settings is a nice option. But now the vast majority of servers are undoubtedly going to be using the 1.3 weapons settings, and it was hard enough to find a decent server to play on before this.

Also...
If you have been playing for a year then you would have known that everyone would be (Please refrain from swearing)ing about the new version.

I have in fact been playing at least that long, but just because I've been playing for said length of time doesn't mean that I have latent psychic abilities, nor does it mean I magically got to be a beta tester. True, I have (Please refrain from swearing)ed about some additions and changes in the past, but I was always able to get used to them. Not quite so easy this time.
As for the addition of the knife and M72 as secondary weapons, I didn't really have to adjust to that very much at all. They were new weapons which I had to get used to being killed with, but they weren't replacing or modifying the existing weapons. In fact, the knife turned out to be my new favourite secondary weapon by a long shot.

quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_It takes skill now. Get used to it.

And you're saying it never did?

God, it's only the first day.

DeMonIc
August 6, 2005, 8:17 am
If you're gonna diss the beta team about the new version, please search for self-bink in Game improvements and suggestions. (Note: Blame-mails can be sent to me to demonic@vipmail.hu, or my PM inbox) Self bink is a feature that tones down automatics, so they take skill to use. It's obvious that you can't get this skill in 2 days, so it's pointless to whine about something that you can't master just yet. It's all about releasing the goddamn fire button some times, and getting cover when your low on hp, as opposed to the 1.2.1 auto tactics, where you just had to bink the living daylight out of the enemy and kill him off, no matter how hard he hit you.

ThaD
August 6, 2005, 10:09 am
whenever a new version is out people say they quit

so ciao

AerialAssault
August 6, 2005, 10:51 am
quote:Originally posted by LazehBoiquote:Originally posted by AerialAssaulti think that the self bink should be reduced so that it doesnt occur as quickly. and i think it should be halved when crouched, and non-existant when prone.

People will just go prone in the air and spray, then. That is very extreme, and i'm pretty sure it's already implemented.

first of all, stop calling auto users sprayers because they hold down the trigger. second of all, all you whiner's "sprayer" way of thinking is flawed, you REALLY DO have to aim with autos to hit :0. and moving on to my point, do you acually think it would be the same as before if people went prone in the air and shot like that? people would probably only do that if they saw someone at the other end of their screen and tried to get a few shots in and probably not even kill them unless wounded. all you whiners wanted to make the autos more realistic so that they[auto users] would be the only ones with weapons that respond realistically. i think that autos are now a bit underpowered and implementing this idea of mine would, in my opinion make things perfect.

Karaffka
August 6, 2005, 11:09 am
LAW in 1.2.1 was underpowered, too.

Yukwunhang
August 6, 2005, 11:13 am
I would like to quote a sentance from Soldat.pl.
quote:Soldat is a unique side-view multiplayer action game. It takes the best from games like Liero, Worms, Quake and Counter-Strike and gives you fast action gameplay with tons of blood and flesh.

lastpatriot
August 6, 2005, 12:07 pm
I don't notice any "game slowdown", it just got more realistic.

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 12:34 pm
The self-bink seems pointless to me. All that's changed is that you shoot slightly slower now, as you have to do it in bursts instead of a constant stream. I would've (Please refrain from swearing)ed about it for awhile if it weren't for the existance of moddable weapons, which is, by far, the epitome of asskickage.

grand_diablo
August 6, 2005, 1:08 pm
quote:Originally posted by MonkeyHead79I really don't understand you people. But fine, if nobody believes me, be that way. I would give myself a week to get used to it, but I just can't put up with it the way it is. Yes, perhaps I'll still play on some servers with 1.2.1 weapons settings. Whatever. Somebody go ahead and lock this now if they see fit.

How can you say you cant put up with the SB, eventhough the week you wanna give yourself isnt over? O.o

I even suggest 2 or 3 weeks as enough time to get used to it. After such a time, I bet most reasons for complaining about 1.3 shouldve disappeared, icluding the new handling of automatics.

AerialAssault
August 6, 2005, 1:19 pm
after several hours of play, i will say that i do enjoy the new version and i can still effectively use the autos. but i think self bink should be reduced just a bit and i think there should be a extra second of time before SB kicks in.

frogboy
August 6, 2005, 1:24 pm
Self-bink is fine. And I've only played Soldat 2 or 3 times since it was implemented.

Hitman
August 6, 2005, 1:35 pm
Honestly, what do you want us to do about it? I really don't see the point in all of these "Omg, 1.3 sucks, I'm leaving" threads. The fully modable weapons are a compromise for those that don't like the weapons balance. We have tried and tried to get the balance as perfect as possible, but of course there will be people who complain; not everybody can be happy. This was inevitable; however, the most important thing now is that the balance is fair.

If you don't like it, piss off.

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 1:59 pm
Just live with the new version.... Soon you will adapt... anyway self blink does test your skills. Though I do not know why my barret aiming skill now sucks, but I use minimi by keep on clicking instead of holding it. It will reduce the self blink to no self blink at all.

Most of all, Crouch bug still so fun to play with.... lol

temp
August 6, 2005, 2:38 pm
Suck it up and wait a week to see if you really hate it or not, or if you want to still keep whining about it then use another weapon or just give up and quit.

Don't worry Mancer, they'll quit, as the spraytard (Please refrain from swearing)gots they already are.

person
August 6, 2005, 5:05 pm
My main problem with the new version is that it has made the game feel rigid. I don't know, it feels dry or something and is missing fluid gameplay. If making the game more like CS was your objective though, well done.

I really don't think I want to play this game in it's latest form. I've been playing for over 2 years, and never had a problem with any updates until now. This really hasn't been fun to play :
I honestly don't think anyone had a problem with the way guns were in 1.2.1, btw. Like I said, I think the new weapons sytem feels rigid and awkward.

VodkaZombie
August 6, 2005, 5:50 pm
Maybe you should take a look at the previous posts. Its kind of pointless for people to explain everything over and over again. You should understand by now.

solohan50
August 6, 2005, 6:05 pm
well, all i wanna say is a agree with aerialassault up there. everyone keeps swearing that all auto kills are spray kills and that they don't take any skill to use. however, when i have to hit a person at least 7 times with my steyr (i think that's about right), when they're hopping around and shooting me back, that's about the same ratio of bullets to clip for a kill as deagles (i am speaking up close of course). i find that the bink hurts even up close, making a close up kill with an auto harder, which in itself is unrealistic. however, my point is that people keep saying that autos=spray and spray=no skill. i don't agree with that, but u want a weapon that takes skill to kill with, take the minigun, the hardest weapon to use (maybe with the exception of chainsaw), which is the ULTIMATE spray machine. i think autos have gotten a bad name cuz of some people spraying excessively (just like miniguns and barrets have bad names because they're abused). as a full-time steyr user, i can honestly say i will only ever spray if 1. i have the enemy flag and am being pursued, because they're firing blind at me also or 2. if someone else has started spraying blindly (this is not just in retaliation, but it tips me off that their is a soldat there that i can shoot). i realize that the beta testers put in the weapon.ini thing, but once everyone upgrades to 1.3, unless someone actually runs a server with the 1.2.1 weapon stats, it's kinda useless since it's only against bots for the most part. as for myself, i'm honestly gonna try and get used to the fact that my Steyr/LAW combination now takes "more skill" (>_>), but i think that my steyr got axed worse of all because unlike the slow firing weps, u can't just semi-auto it by clicking fast on the mouse, and the SB kicks in before you can kill someone, meaning i end up a rag doll on the floor more often than not. but i will wait a week, and then if it's still as bad as today (games of 12-21 and 3-10 respectively), THEN i might come on and say "1.3 suxxorz!" lol, jk.

MonkeyHead79
August 6, 2005, 6:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by temp
Don't worry Mancer, they'll quit, as the spraytard (Please refrain from swearing)gots they already are.

(Please refrain from swearing) you. Why must you people automatically assume that because we dislike the new feel of the automatics, we're "spraytards"? I hadn't even heard of the term "spraying" until 1.3 came out. Now I almost feel tempted to force myself to play the game more to prove you wrong. Except that was probably your intention. WASN'T IT?!!? You kids and your damn reverse psychology. :p

quote:Originally posted by solohan50[stuff]

THANK you.

ráz0r
August 6, 2005, 6:51 pm
The extent of people that don't like it? theres been like 5 attention seeking noobs that have complained, i played a few gathers and there is no huge difference to the gameplay. I actually used ak for awhile and found it quite fun. Its way better now, just backflip messes with m79 jumping but all in all. Kinda the same game, but a definate feel of improvement.