( search forums )
Weapon Pickup Preference
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
toadsMoke
August 6, 2005, 3:38 am
As I play on the pub servers practising my terrible kniving skills I have come to realize that 75% of the time I pick up the wrong weapon when running for my knife. I would love to see an option where I can choose what weapons to pick up and which not to. So, people like me can have it set to only pick up knives and someone else could have it set to something like m79 & law.

Deleted User
August 8, 2005, 2:11 am
games to fast paced for this

solohan50
August 8, 2005, 2:27 am
how about a little word above the weapon that says what it is? like if a barrets on the floor, it could say "barret" above it, that way you know where you weapon is.

Twinkler
August 8, 2005, 2:33 am
That would get way to cluttered, there'd be text everywhere.

Kazuki
August 8, 2005, 6:41 am
I'm not quite sure. I mean, the idea itself is a good one, but having an option for something like that just feels a bit silly, no offense. I can see where you're coming from though.

Deleted User
August 8, 2005, 6:46 am
just no

KeFear
August 8, 2005, 10:15 am
Well, i'm in the same situation sometimes, but i don't bother. Sometimes it's good if i pick up a barret for example instead of my knife.

toadsMoke
August 8, 2005, 4:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Taaljust no

I don't much care for your opinion especially since the one I have to convince is mm not you. Stop wasting our bandwidth with pointless posts.

The idea is a great one and I imagine all knivers will agree with me the weapon pickup needs an improvement. Just picking up the first weapon you step over just isnt doing it, especially when there is a large pile of weapons.
There should be a drop down menu where you can pick a weapon to pick up or a list of weapons, with check boxes, you want to pickup.

Hoodlum
August 8, 2005, 4:55 pm
This happens to me sometimes but I don't think we need a option for it.

Kazuki
August 9, 2005, 4:12 am
I'm a knifer myself, Toad, but your idea may be over-doing it. Like I said before, it's a very good idea in its prime, but it's hard to see it implemented, much less being used. That's just my opinion, however.

Captain Ben
August 9, 2005, 10:55 am
I like it, but I think it needs some thought.

The @venger
August 9, 2005, 1:55 pm
i think the game needs something like this in rambomatches; its damn irritating picking up a barret instead of the bow...

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 5:12 pm
But this option will be cool only in knife-matches. Coz when u want take some1s wep U couldn't...

Keron Cyst
August 9, 2005, 5:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by toadsMoke... There should be a drop down menu where you can pick a weapon to pick up or a list of weapons, with check boxes, you want to pickup.
Well, then it'd better be easy to manage and lie next to the weapon menu since I'd want to be changing what I want/don't want to pick up throughout a match...

VodkaZombie
August 9, 2005, 9:50 pm
I love it..but yeah, it'll be a bit cluttered.

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 10:33 pm
That would confuse me, it's a good idea (i always pick up miniguns and stuff when i'm looking for my knife) but how would it be done? It'd most likely end up with some more text to read (nooooooooooo) and extra clicking on stuff by accident and picking up shotguns instead of knives.

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 10:44 pm
How about an arrow that says which weapon you threw?

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 11:12 pm
I like the sound of that, should be able to be toggled on/off of course,it would get rid of endless clicking and all the game would need to do would be to remember what weapon you threw and where it landed.

Lol, 10 posts already and i only joined today at around 8:10pm

toadsMoke
August 10, 2005, 5:22 am
Yeah, I guess that is a fair compromise. How about highlighting a certain type of weapon? This could easily be achieved with small arrows like aznbl00d suggested.

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 5:30 am
Yeah, what I meant (let me clarify) is that "arrow.bmp" should hover over the weapon you droped/threw in the same manner it hovers over your soldier.

solohan50
August 10, 2005, 5:35 am
or how about just have the weapons stand up a little higher on the ground? cuz half the time u can't really see the weapons on a lot of the polygons. i dunno if you could code that though.....

numgun
August 10, 2005, 1:15 pm
this could be as a check box...

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 1:51 pm
With a check box you couldn't change what you wanted to pick up half way through the game (unless it could be brought up with one of the F keys).

toadsMoke
August 10, 2005, 3:28 pm
The arrow.bmp is a little too large I think. If that is used it should be scaled down to half or quarter the size.

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 5:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Taaljust no

taal i say just no so just no

Deleted User
August 13, 2005, 6:41 pm
Personally, when I throw knives I make it a habit to see where it lands, it tends to help alot.

Deleted User
August 13, 2005, 6:49 pm
Me too, but if it lands on a pile of weapons, you'd probably pick up the wrong one several times.

toadsMoke
August 15, 2005, 2:46 pm
KuroiDoragon, the problem really isn't knowing where your knife lands but, like Droid said, many times there are already at least one other weapon near by. Also there is the problem of find other knives. No other weapon needs to be thrown to be used effectively and therefore there should be some provision in place to help locate thrown knives on the map.

Boxo
August 15, 2005, 3:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Taalgames to fast paced for this

WTF do you mean by that? What is it about Soldat that's too fast paced for this idea to work? It would just make picking up things faster and more fluent.

This'd be a good feature, knifing'd be a lot more fun.

Deleted User
August 15, 2005, 5:39 pm
And you wouldn't get shot while searching through a pile of weapons for your knife.
It would be annoying though if you see a good weapon lying around and you can't pick it up, maybe crouching to pick it up?

GAMEOVER
August 15, 2005, 6:53 pm
Games already just a little 2 cluttered imo. Actually wouldnt mind removing public speak and only being able to see team speak as well as removing what weapon they're spawning with and where team mates are thatd make no clutter at all

toadsMoke
August 30, 2005, 8:01 pm
I understand what you are saying and that is why this should be an option, like the ones you mentioned, where you can disable it if you don't want it.

dr.ON
September 8, 2005, 8:57 pm
Sounds like i don't need it, if there will be option to turn this off, than i m agree with adding this ^__^