( search forums )
Minigun: Moves Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a Bee
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
TheRelinquished
August 7, 2005, 10:49 pm
Since the first time I played Soldat I decided that I would master, to some degree, every single weapon available in Soldat, just to be sure that I am a well rounded and competent player. This is something that I do in a lot of games, and it's something I take pride in. My goal has been incomplete, however, until very recently when, about 2 weeks ago, I decided that it was about time that I explored the infamous Minigun.

Now the first reaction to this gun for most players is to ignore, or otherwise degrade it and the person using it. People refuse to take it seriously, and they don't even see the player as a threat, just an amature in the way. It is my goal to change this view (if ever so slightly) and prove that it's not another n00b tube. In fact, it moves like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

Last night, I started a server in hopes that I would be able to play something besides machine-gunning M79s on CTF_Death. It took a while, but the server slowly swelled, and I had a nice game going. After an extended period of using my old Spas-12/Combat Knife combo, I decided to do some experimenting, and I pulled out the Minigun and Socom. Right off the bat, I got about 4 kills during my spawn, and I was greeted by one person's cry of, "minisurfer noob...". When I asked them, "How am I surfing?" they (and several others) immediately admitted that I was not surfing and that I wasn't even being n00b-ish. The game continued and I ranked top, or near top in the server consistently.

The point of that story was simply to show you that it can be done. Not only can the Mini be used legitimately, but people can learn to accept it as a good weapon. But the big problem is that no one has bothered to learn how it's used aside from spraying and surfing, and that's the problem. So I think I'll give some tips for those who are actually planning on listening to my advice and trying it out.

-A 100 round clip is huge, no matter what the bullet power is. With that many shots in less than 10 seconds, you should be able to carve through at least 2 Soldats when used properly, with a max of about 4. 2-4 kills with one clip is an excellent ratio.

-Don't be stationary! You won't survive if you stand and spray. This isn't a stationary gun with high powered rounds! Move quickly and over obstacles to avoid their shots and you'll catch them when they're reloading.

-Try not to sit on the fire button. Just fire when it's necessary, and when you start hitting an opponent, don't relent. Stop spraying while changing direction to follow an opponent, this saves both ammunition and lets you retain accuracy, but if your opponent stays in one place, then move around them and don't stop firing at them.

-Move the barrel. The Minigun's aiming is erratic, and only 100% effect at very very short ranges (as in handshake range), but it can be improvesd by equally erratic movement of the barrel. This sounds strange, but by moving the barrel up and down quickly as you fire, you'll often find that you get a closer spread that kills with 15 rounds instead of 25. It doesn't seem very realistic, but take advantage of the fact that it's a video game folks =P.

-Take advantage of bink. By hitting opponents in bursts or continuous streams, you take advantage of the Mini's very good ability to bink. Hitting someone with a dozen weak bullets will really throw off their aim, and this should help you evade their shots. Snipers are sitting ducks to a good Minigunner.

-Use nades. The Mini is a very disruptive weapon that confuses your opponent and forces them to pay attention to you rather than the nades you've dropped. Even if you don't hit them, the nades are even more disruptive, and can wound a Soldat. It's easier to kill them this way.

-Use the Socom. The socom is by far the best secondary weapon available for a Minigunner due to it's quickness, potency, and fast reload (which the Mini doesn't have). It's easy to spray down three or four Soldats with a Mini and not kill them, so pull out that trusty Socom and finish them off with it. You'll find it even makes a good stand alone weapon when you're going for med packs or nade packs and reloading, because it's so quick to kill the wounded opponents all around you.

-Lastly, use the Minigun aggressively. You may only end up being a very strong support character who doesn't top the server rankings, but you'll be amazed at how effective you can be if you just don't back down. Just keep in mind that the Mini is an assault type weapon that deserves to see the middle of the map every spawn. Used effectively and aggressively, this weapon is a force to be reckoned with.

So that's about all I have. That is all teh result of a good week or two of using the Mini and learnign it inside and out though. If you try it using the tips I've given you, then you should be able to catch on quickly and learn to appreciate this truly misunderstood weapon. The way I see it is that if MM keeps on putting it in the new versions than we may as well put it to good use.

~TheRelinquished

_Mancer_
August 7, 2005, 10:52 pm
Ruger + m79 + Minigun is the way to be.

ráz0r
August 7, 2005, 10:59 pm
Soldat will always be pick up any weapon and own, its not a difficult game.

Deleted User
August 7, 2005, 11:01 pm
Nice tips, will try. I notice this is very similar to the Auto-Shottie in CS, also known as n00bstick, etc.

_Mancer_
August 7, 2005, 11:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by ráz0rSoldat will always be pick up any weapon and own, its not a difficult game.

Then why do you suck at it so much?

lastpatriot
August 7, 2005, 11:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by ráz0rSoldat will always be pick up any weapon and own, its not a difficult game.

Thanks for putting my elephant doodle in your sig, jerkoff.

I have yet to "own" with a chainsaw...

Chakra`
August 7, 2005, 11:17 pm
Very interesting guv. I'll try that.

Psyker
August 7, 2005, 11:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_quote:Originally posted by ráz0rSoldat will always be pick up any weapon and own, its not a difficult game.

hahaha oh my

Happy Camper
August 8, 2005, 1:11 am
ok, i'll say it,

OWNED.

Other then that, i love the minigun, i have just not found a practical use for it in Clan Wars yet, when i do, i'll be sure to share.

Maxx
August 8, 2005, 2:09 am
Dang, minigun is one of my favorite weapons now.

I just played against bots in DM, and won by around 20 points.
That never happens.

TheRelinquished
August 8, 2005, 6:44 am
The only big problem is when you run into knifers and M79s. A knife is pretty easy to dodge, and not many people are good with them, but I hate M79s. M79s are a b*tch. That's right, they are all one huge b*tch.

Captain Ben
August 8, 2005, 6:55 am
I find a chainsaw more useful than a knife now.

ráz0r
August 8, 2005, 3:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_quote:Originally posted by ráz0rSoldat will always be pick up any weapon and own, its not a difficult game.

Same reason your so fat, I like the taste.

Da cHeeSeMaN
August 8, 2005, 7:24 pm
YES he used n00b tube my phrase is catching on...!!!

Deleted User
August 8, 2005, 9:07 pm
What a great guide...

It's a shame that the Minigun is treated as a ''noobish'' weapon.

Keron Cyst
August 8, 2005, 9:46 pm
Sounds interesting; I'll try that out. I haven't even used that weapon since 1.3, so I don't know how powerful the self-bink is.

TheRelinquished
August 8, 2005, 9:49 pm
Thanks Fluffy. ^_^

I almost want to make a guide for all of the Soldat weapons. I think that it could be something useful to new and old players who are looking to branch out. If anyone thinks it'd be worthwhile I'll actually start on that. ^_^

~TheRelinquished

Deleted User
August 8, 2005, 10:07 pm
DO ONE FOR RUGER!!!! For some reason i cant aim with it, on realistic i mean.

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 7:37 pm
A guide to weapons, sounds good. Maybe a movie for every weapon, perhaps?

The @venger
August 9, 2005, 8:33 pm
minigun is so much harder on realistic, you cant fire for more than 2 seconds, and with the startup time its even harder, not to speak of the self- bink mixed with recoil...

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 10:16 pm
Those are great tips, and I agree on the weapons guide thing, I need help with Spas, I can't hit a wall when i'm standing next to it.

Jello
August 10, 2005, 2:35 am
Hasn't there been a weapons guide? I think there has, by Kazuki if I recall. Of course, it could be one of those false memories, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it.

TheRelinquished
August 10, 2005, 3:21 am
Maybe if I do well enough it could get stickied. :O

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 8:51 am
Stings like a bee is right... Each bullet is the equivelent of a bee sting in soldat.

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 11:07 am
Its fun when your ego gloats beyond all mental capacity and you challenge someone and let them choose your gun, especially when its a minigun! :D This has never happened yet, but im dying for it to - mini's are effective if used right.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 4:06 pm
I've never found the minigun to be a useful weapon for me, because I can kill faster with any other gun. It's just a matter of kill time. SPAS takes 0.50 seconds to kill someone. Deagles take 0.66 seconds to kill someone. Minigun takes 1.00 second to kill someone, and it's most difficult to be 100% accurate even then.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 8:08 pm
Yeah, and M79 takes 0.00 seconds to kill.

Rethink your calculations please.

wunderbear
August 11, 2005, 9:11 pm
These tips were very useful, Relinquished.

ALthough, try using it on Realistic...

*sprays wildly*

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 9:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by FluffyYeah, and M79 takes 0.00 seconds to kill.

Rethink your calculations please.

It's one shot. One chance. You miss you die.

If you're fighting two people, you die.

That's in balance in my opinion.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 9:25 pm
i've survived after missing a shot with the M79. It depends what weapon they are using.

TheRelinquished
August 11, 2005, 9:31 pm
I probably should've made a note that my tips are solely based on non-realistic conditions. Obviously the Mini is unfeasible on realistic mode, and even these tips woudln't help much there.

Also, to Chut, you are too hasty with your calculations. Those timings are based on the idea that your opponent can't (a) move, (b) kill you first, or (c) otherwise keep from being hit by the full strength of your weapon. My tips were designed to show how one can better their chances immemsely against an average level opponent; they had no basis in sheer bullet-power or efficiency.

Oh, and as for your opinion about the one shot, one chance M79--two people are hardly a death sentence. That's what the knife in secondary is for. =P

*dramatization*

DOUBLE KILL

TEX: <^> ^_^ <^>

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 10:24 pm
It is certain that it is ALWAYS based on personal skill and reflex.

No matter what weapon you're using, if you're just better, you will win.

I was just making raw calculations.

i am ahab
August 18, 2005, 2:53 pm
an interesting article sir.

but i question;

did you actually enjoy shooting the weapon?

as for the m79 it be a beyatch to recieve, but to give out.... theres little better in soldat that running through the guts of someone you dispatched in a blaze of excellent/flukey shooting glory i feel.

Deleted User
August 18, 2005, 9:36 pm
hmmm this takes me back to the days of me being a noob . . . but just maybe i will try to beome a minigun master hahah that would soo piss ppl off

TheRelinquished
August 18, 2005, 10:27 pm
Actually, ahab, I love it. You would be surprised how much fun it is to use something that is so often underestimated effectively. ^_^

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 2:10 am
Hmmm, one problem with the minigun is that it chews through your ammo so fast, but I've found a method to help that. Just roll while you're firing, you won't use as much ammo. Useful if you are hurriedly trying to get the crosshairs on your target.
Just my two cents... :)

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 2:13 am
Well, ive begun to use minigun more frequently for fun. Ive found it useful to start and stop beads on a person to maintain accuracy - at the risk of being shot inbetween beads. I beleive you stated this above.

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 2:15 am
I do have one, annoying problem with the minigun though...I still seem to use up over 75+ bullets to kill one guy...

TheRelinquished
August 19, 2005, 6:27 am
Well, Angry, looks like it's off to the targeting range for you. ^_^

Remeber my tips on accuracy: use bursts, don't spray. And Bulbock makes a pretty good point. Rolling is an effective way to evade whilst saving ammo. Just keep practicing, friend. ^_^

~TheRelinquished

Mr. Domino
August 19, 2005, 11:31 am
quote:Originally posted by i am ahabas for the m79 it be a beyatch to recieve, but to give out.... theres little better in soldat that running through the guts of someone you dispatched in a blaze of excellent/flukey shooting glory i feel.

I love lobbing one at an enemy escaping with a flag and nailing him right on the head. :^) Makes you feel unstoppable.

Any guide would have to take in account the different versions of the game. Then again, while the above is well written, tips such as "use grenades!" should be pretty obvious to most for every weapon. I don't think these kinds of games can be learned by reading. The only written tips would be level strategies and the like, especially since many choose their weapons based on the level being played.

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 12:23 pm
True.

And to be technical, it takes exactly 16 bullets to kill someone with a minigun. In order to do that, your barrel has to be right into their gut, it will shred them apart. Think of the minigun as an mp5 - its best used right up close.

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 3:08 pm
Yeah, but you can't really move forward towards someone with a minigun, so it's just a little easy to escape a minigunner.

CrapBomba
August 19, 2005, 6:08 pm
This is awesome I'll try it out right away.

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 8:09 pm
You dont start shooting and then chase them...they'll be gone in a heart beat or will easily move behind you for a quick stab. You have to time it right: Charge them, and when you think your going to get close enough for a hardcore mini ball busting moment, time the delay so it fires right when the barrel is where you need it. Thats how you do it.

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 8:14 pm
Yeah if u get in there faces you'll blow em apart.

tRaQs
August 19, 2005, 9:37 pm
Reason why its a noob weapon is

-its an easy to use pick up and go weapon for noobs.
-high fire, wide range shot for their slow and sloppy aim.
-they're trigger happy, and 100 rounds sure feeds their need
-makes people keep their distance, so they feel safer
-must I continue?

Theres all the reason in the world for it to be called a noob weapon, it suits every characteristic named.

Shame though, as it can be used quite strategically.

Deleted User
August 19, 2005, 9:41 pm
Its not a noob weapon on realistic, takes alot of skill to handle its recoil AND bink.

Pixofied
August 19, 2005, 10:01 pm
M... eeep!

Heh, how anyone can think the minigun is useless or a noobs weapon, is beyond me. Same thing for barret...

candiru
August 19, 2005, 10:06 pm
i personally prefer the rambo bow

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 8:52 am
Sorry for the small bump, but I'm commited to making sure the minigun is not underestimated ;)
I've been practicing with the it, and come up with a few points:

1. Always use the socom as secondary. I do not exagerate when I say that almost all of my kills were with the pistol. Basically, when your opponent is suitably damaged, whip out your pistol and finish him off. Otherwise you'll just be chasing him all over the place with your minigun, and you'll run out of ammo.

2. For the love of god, do not stand still and spray. Jump round like your ass is on fire, espicially if you're facing a barret because bink isn't extreme enough to stop you being hit at point blank.

3. Like your socom, always keep your grenades on close hand. Soften them up with a grenade, pound them with your minigun and finish them off with your socom.

4. Surfing. I don't recommend it because by the time you're near an enemy you are out of ammo. But it can be useful occasionly, like if you are jumping from one ledge to another, and there are a few enemies beneath you. In a situation like that I'd also throw down a grenade or two.

I hope you found these helpful :)

Mr. Domino
August 20, 2005, 10:24 am
quote:Originally posted by Officer_Bulbock
4. Surfing. I don't recommend it because by the time you're near an enemy you are out of ammo. But it can be useful occasionly, like if you are jumping from one ledge to another, and there are a few enemies beneath you. In a situation like that I'd also throw down a grenade or two.

Is it even possible to surf like before in 1.3? I'd think the added bink and recoil would make it difficult to just aim away and bunny hop to freedom.

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 10:52 am
Surfing is actually still possible, ive seen some newbies surfing at b2b.

quote:Theres all the reason in the world for it to be called a noob weapon, it suits every characteristic named.

Again, thats a biased view due to the popular favor of the minigun by newbies. I used to dislike the minigun and call people using it noobs...well...ive convinced myself if ive never died to it, and if ive seen 1 person using it like an actual weapon, then theres still hope.

Your looking at it as a noob weapon, because of the fact theres not many people who use minigun like any other gun. Calling them newbies rather the gun would work better. It is infact true that newbies like using the minigun....newbishly, but they're new. Even i was attracted to it the first time i played soldat. You know...."Lets see....Desert Eagles...AK...MP5....spas...blah blah bla- KEWL! A MINIGUN!!!" *jumps around wasting 100 bullets* etc...

Again, the minigun is just hard to use right, and very easy to use noobishly. (Turret spraying, camping, MINISURFING, etc...) However, try and use it yourself. You'll be amazed at how powerful it is, compared to any other auto, and how less noobish it can be used. ~_^

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 8:33 pm
Hehehe, nice speech Exta.
But I think I've found a "bug" with the minigun. If you power it up and start firing, then change to secondary while holding down the trigger, well, you'll have your secondary out like you should. But wwhen you switch back while holding down the trigger your minigun starts firing instantly without a warm-up. Useful...

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 9:45 pm
Interesting find. I must test this!

mooseproduce
August 22, 2005, 12:30 pm
I used to like Minigun, and wanted to master it like the original poster; but in 1.3 it has been nerfed like a muthah. Or the new lag-trackpoint system is strange with it, or something. At any rate, using a Minigun in Real Mode used to be impressive as (Please refrain from swearing), and now even if you are good enough to be able to aim with it, it doesn't do any damage. >:(

SOCOM is like my favorite weapon though. In tandem with M79 it is especially uber-pwn.

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 4:42 pm
Hmm...You know, moving the barrel in an erratic motion DOES kill faster! Ha! No wonder why nobody freakin dies when I unload 80 bullets into their body...(why didn't I think of that...)

SPARTAN_III
August 23, 2005, 6:31 pm
i like using the minigun in rambo_6's militias reborn mod, its a weapon well worth using in that case.

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 7:51 pm
I've been trying minigun more recently, and I must say it is not a bad weapon if it is used right. Of course, that's the problem--It's one of the hardest weapons to use half-decently.

When using the thing, you definitely have to think ahead a little, to get around the problem of the start-up time. Also, fire it when the target is on a more stable trajectory; "chasing" the target with your cursor only wastes ammo.

Yeah, it's stuff that's been said, but the wording might be better understood by some... We all think differently, and all :P

bond_james_bond
August 24, 2005, 4:56 pm
I actually think the minigun is much better now. Once a former hater, I now sometiems use it! Amazing.