( search forums )
ctf_Cathedral [Update 1.1]
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Quality Maps
papasurf31
August 9, 2005, 12:52 am
This is my first map ever, #1 in what I hope to be a series of progressively better maps. It's done almost exclusively in polyworks. I did it because I had a good idea and great inspiration, and also to show off the mapping capabilites of Polyworks. Unfortunately, it's not waypointed, so if anyone wants to help out with that, I'd be very grateful :)

And here it is:

[IMAGE]

Download here:
http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/store/ctf_Cathedral_1.1.zip

And the texture:
http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/store/monestary.bmp

C&C please!

_Mancer_
August 9, 2005, 1:15 am
HOLY SH*T!!

How does ambient lighting work for polyworks? Are some images made in .png that allows you to do that?

I think this would be better as an inf map.

THIS IS YOUR FIRST? Wow.... I still dont understand the concept of ambient lighting like that.

It looks great, just played it.

EDIT: I also thought scenery wasnt supported in polyworks yet"?

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 1:15 am
not bad!

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 1:38 am
I'll give it a shot with waypoints.

EDIT: Check my temp server called "azntrashcan". I'll get it up for testing...

[x] Just check now and then...

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 1:58 am
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_EDIT: I also thought scenery wasnt supported in polyworks yet"?

Join #soldat.polyworks to find out more...

Korinth
August 9, 2005, 2:05 am
u r my god....but ya my lil bro says he wants to play this map when it gets waypointed...and he dosnt play the game

I cant wait to see what other maps u come up with. Want to see it waypointed and want to see u make some INF maps

Michal
August 9, 2005, 2:18 am
Yeah this map looks awesome, fun to play in too.
A few improvements I can think of:
I think it needs more terrain on the outside and below (trees and bushes too), and the greenish hill on the right should have some extreme texture stretching/skewing to get rid of the bricks.
Make the topmost points non colliding because it can get really bumpy.
Also the busted up stairs polygons are pretty bouncy, I think it could be solved by using less thin polys.

Overall I think this is one of the best Soldat maps ever made.

Hoodlum
August 9, 2005, 2:32 am
That pixel work is AMAZING.

Woah, just woah.

Soap
August 9, 2005, 2:44 am
God bless Photoshop.

This is the future for Soldat maps. I started a project fairly recently to convert all of the old Soldat maps to be this detailed.

Excellent work.

CottonTheMoth
August 9, 2005, 2:46 am
umm..what is poly works?

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 2:49 am
I made some notes whilst playing on the gameplay (I thought I might forget my complaints so I jotted them down).

1) I really think the map needs more jet. Getting around is just too slow at the moment.

2) The bumps in the ground to the right of the broken stairs are a bit obstructive, and kind of destroy your flow in combat. Would be an improvement to smoothen the ground. Also, if you could curve the ground up on the left more, it'd be helpful - it would form a ramp that players can run off to get through the gap in the stairs easily (at the moment, its too hard to traverse).

3) In the very middle of the map, the two doors to the top left and right of the stained glass windows, on the outer side of the tower (the ones with the gargoyles), could do with being placed higher. Its really hard to travel between the nearby doors in the very centre of the tower at the moment, and it'd be easier to fly between them if the outer doors were moved up to form a straighter trajectory between them.

Also, as Michal said, some stairs are buggy. Talk to Anna, she knows how to fix this.

Apart from these points, the map is excellent fun to play, and looks twice as nice. I love it.

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 3:04 am
http://llsc.us/members/azntrashcan/uploads/ctf_Cathedral.PMS

Waypointed and with added spawn point for the upper levels. Enjoy.

EDIT: At the top of the domes, the Bots seem to get stuck on the little square uprising. If you could make those non-coliding...

GunPowder
August 9, 2005, 3:18 am
Oh my goodness. Wonderful map, Very good job surf. I can't wait till your second kick ass map :)

Kazuki
August 9, 2005, 4:27 am
The gate (those vertical bars that are just right of the center of the map) looks absolutely amazing.

But as I said in IRC, there needs to be a source of light in the background, or otherwise it doesn't make sense that light shines in through the windows but there is no source of light outside. :P

Amazing job once again. There's nothing more to say than that.

Zero72
August 9, 2005, 4:28 am
*soils himself violently*

That's amazing.

I'll download it after a fix or two, if they're coming. If not, I'll go ahead and grab it anyway.

Rambo_6
August 9, 2005, 6:14 am
How did you do the ambient lighting????

This definitely perked my interest in polyworks. I'll be seeing y'all a lot more in the IRC channel :D

Great job, papasurf.

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 6:38 am
that's awsome

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 9:41 am
Yes, it's awesome!

m00`
August 9, 2005, 9:55 am
awsome job papasurf, and im not only saying that because you hosted it on http://m00.u13.net ^_____^

Vijchtidoodah
August 9, 2005, 10:02 am
It's pretty cool, but there's no way that I'm ever going to put that degree of effort into a map of my own...especially because I have no artistic inclination whatsoever.

Captain Ben
August 9, 2005, 10:52 am
Vijcht, if you think you have no artistic inclination, you should have seen my first map.
But besides the point, Papasurf, I'll have your babies anyday. I'll have triplets for you if its ambient lighting.

papasurf31
August 9, 2005, 2:10 pm
Thnx for all the comments.
Here are the changes for my next update:
+A back light source, possibly a rising sun or a moon :o
+Anything on top of the main tower will be made into non-collidable polys
+I'll add some boxes in specific choke points with colliders
+I'm gonna add trees and stuff, and completely overlay that hill
+If you want more jets, then that will be added
+Will try to smoothen out the tunnels and make the broken stairs more accesible
+As to the 4 doors on the main tower, I've decided to do what Stalky told me to, since i also realized that those doors make it so you can snipe from one cross to the other in a straight line. And since those cross platforms are healing, they will probably often times be populated.
+This map is best played with my custom weapons mod (shameless plug)
[subliminal]GET IT HERE: http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=26310[/subliminal]

THNX TO AZNBLOOD FOR WAYPOINTS I HOPE THEY ARE GOOD!

Keron Cyst
August 9, 2005, 5:25 pm
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Now we just need a method (without using scenery) to make gosteks darken where there's no light :-D

cooz
August 9, 2005, 7:45 pm
good job.

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 8:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31Here are the changes for my next update:
+A back light source, possibly a rising sun or a moon :o
+Anything on top of the main tower will be made into non-collidable polys
+I'll add some boxes in specific choke points with colliders
+I'm gonna add trees and stuff, and completely overlay that hill
+If you want more jets, then that will be added
+Will try to smoothen out the tunnels and make the broken stairs more accesible
+As to the 4 doors on the main tower, I've decided to do what Stalky told me to, since i also realized that those doors make it so you can snipe from one cross to the other in a straight line. And since those cross platforms are healing, they will probably often times be populated.
+This map is best played with my custom weapons mod (shameless plug)
[subliminal]GET IT HERE: http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=26310[/subliminal]

Can't wait. In the meantime, I feel strangely compelled to download your mod...

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 9:54 pm
omfg! new age of maps !

papasurf31
August 9, 2005, 11:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by Stalky[quote]

Can't wait. In the meantime, I feel strangely compelled to download your mod...

/steeples fingers

Excellent...

GAMEOVER
August 9, 2005, 11:50 pm
I have never seen a more crazy lookin map thats just awesome!

N1nj@
August 10, 2005, 12:05 am
It would be nice if u can make the scenery less than 256x256. So my computer can see them =/

Morik
August 10, 2005, 12:12 am
Maps like these should replace all the maps that come with soldat (although they are good, this is brilliant)

mar77a
August 10, 2005, 12:23 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@It would be nice if u can make the scenery less than 256x256. So my computer can see them =/

GluLm
August 10, 2005, 12:26 am
Excellent work there. This is already brilliant.
Awesome map. Can't wait for the update. :)
Too bad the waypoint suck...
As for the "new age of soldat mapping", ahem... I think it began with the Project Jungle (R.I.P.).
Yay for papasurf31!

Felix
August 10, 2005, 12:45 am
as we say in french:

Bravo, très bon travaille,

I looks amazing gj

MikeShinoda.pheonix
August 10, 2005, 9:31 pm
Wow, I need to learn how to use polyworks :P This map could only be better if it extended out and it didnt just look like a floating cathedral. Like, make the map go as far as you can see within the limits of the map. My next map is kinda like this. It's an inf map where you infiltrate a building. Lots of lighting and shadows. So you can sneak around.

T-Money
August 11, 2005, 1:32 am
Sexy.

BOMB
August 11, 2005, 3:19 pm
Nice map.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
August 11, 2005, 8:58 pm
I think this map would work really well for hold the flag.

Swebonny
August 11, 2005, 9:26 pm
LOL MAP OWND!! this is real 1337...and omfg 1st map...!!!1

GAMEOVER
August 12, 2005, 2:19 am
this should be put under top maps for sure..

Deleted User
August 12, 2005, 8:54 am
i want that project jungle map. this map has given me inspiration to make a mod...Angles vs Devils.....ill make it when i finish school in 2 years :P or when a gostek maker is completed

Korinth
August 12, 2005, 10:14 pm
ya i want that project jungle map 2

Deleted User
August 12, 2005, 11:00 pm
XD this one map nearly has just as many views as the rules of this forum in 3 days...just goes to show ya XD

Though i can honestly see why...alot of effort was put into this and i give surf huge props for it *throws props at*

DeMonIc
August 14, 2005, 6:38 pm
Looks beautifull. Truly. But I fear that the beauty will distract player's attention from the game. I think maps like this don't have a future, since the best Soldat maps are simple, especially in comparison with this.

Deleted User
August 14, 2005, 7:54 pm
Such a beautiful looking map for such a simple styled game - and your first.

Well...that totally kicks the crap out of my first map, lights it on fire and then pees on the ashes.

Maps like these dont really distract you...well, in much more complex games, maps like this certainly dont, and Soldat shares a common trait with any game in existance no matter how different - its a game which you play. Im hoping more maps like this come out.

tRaQs
August 24, 2005, 7:40 pm
Although you did this level beatifully, the map seems a little empty. it would be really cool if you made additions for a new ctf, where it would be a level inside a huge cathedral.

chakapoko maker
August 27, 2005, 4:08 am
just great. i thought MnP guy's map in the contest was very completed in visual, but it's kinda off balanced on gamaplay. this one is a map. though some part is abit dark and confusing. love the lighitng effect and the mixture of layout and look.
bots don't move >:(

fabmanx
August 27, 2005, 9:38 am
Most beautiful looking map I've ever seen. Too bad the gameplay is worse than a sloppy, loose vagina.

BobJustBob
August 27, 2005, 10:53 am
So beautiful ;_;

Outcast
August 27, 2005, 11:07 am
quote:Originally posted by Stalkyquote:Originally posted by _Mancer_EDIT: I also thought scenery wasnt supported in polyworks yet"?

Join #soldat.polyworks to find out more...

Shallow advertising instead of a good answer.
This map looks awesome thought :>