( search forums )
DM Cotton's Place
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
CottonTheMoth
August 9, 2005, 3:04 am
[IMAGE]
Yes, a full screen overview.
This map doesnt look like much but the gameplay is a helluva lotta fun for 3 or more people. I hosted it with a pass and 2 friends came and it was awesome.
http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/index.php?act=dl&file=Q290dG9uXCdzIFBsYWNlLnJhcg==

Elemental
August 9, 2005, 3:24 am
Looks pretty good, but whats that in the bottom right? :O
Btw, i think your sig is a lil..big :/

CottonTheMoth
August 9, 2005, 3:26 am
Better? The thing in the bottom right is a place to wait for prey to come and get killed...I call it, the spider room. :D

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 6:39 am
lol i like it :D

CottonTheMoth
August 10, 2005, 2:39 am
No comments from the pros? lol. The one thing that bugs me is the grass in the tunnel that my friend keeps hiding in..lol. Even though I made it, so i guess I COULD change it..should I?

The Geologist
August 10, 2005, 2:56 am
Here are a few comments for ya (don't know if I'm a "pro" or not, lol)

1) I see you did a little shading...good start! Trying to build shapes and keep them properly shaded can be one of the largest challenges of a good map. A bit more shading in areas that wouldn't be recieving light might be nice.
2) The tunnel and lower room kinda isolate parts of the map from one another. Personally, I don't care for them, but if you do enjoy them then by all means keep them. What's enjoyable to me might not work for you and vice versa.
3) A bit of expansion or perhaps another poly in that large open space up top might be nice. At the moment things seem a little...bland. Perhaps a few more ledges up top might help.
4) Tinker around with coloring sceneries and playing them in the foreground/background. It can go a long way to help the feel of a map to have trees behind your soldat or in front (to hide behind).
5) Waypointing is sexy. Is this map waypointed? If not it's worth the effort to learn. It takes a few minutes and some practice, but it goes hand in hand with making a good map for public distribution.

Hope these help! Look forward to seeing more maps in the future.

CottonTheMoth
August 10, 2005, 3:00 pm
Well, I didn't make a huge effort on shading this one...I did though on my map called the_hunt...Ima go ahead and post it I guess. I've had it for awhile. :D