( search forums )
Folder problems..
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
SuperKill
August 10, 2005, 10:27 pm
i've had a little problem with windows earlier, but it turned out to be a big ass problem, and important functions are acting weird.

one of the main problems is with opening folders.
windows seems to be confident that i'd prefer the search function more than just to open the goddamn folder, so it puts 'Search' as the default command that's binded to a folder. example:
[IMAGE]
that's what i see when i right click on any folder. (i dont know of the winamp related stuff should be there, but i'm not sure if they were there before. anyway it doesnt really matter).
so when i doubleclick a folder, the only thing i get is the search option that's aimed at the specific folder i doubleclicked.
that means that if i wanted to open a folder, i'd have to right click it and then choose 'open' from below.

i've tried going into folder options >> fild types >> file folder > advanced, but i found nothing usefull there. only a bunch of unrelated winamp commands like 'add to winamp's bookmark~' etc.

anyone got a freaking clue about how to fix this thing before i reformat ?

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 10:50 pm
wtf

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 11:41 pm
This is solved fairly easily. To do so:

Click Start and go to Run. Type "regedit" (without the quotes) into the box and press enter.

In the program that appears, locate the folder labeled HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and expand it. Find the "*" folder and expand it, again, until you find a folder labeled "shellex".

Expand the "ContextMenuHandler" folder and look for a folder labeled Winamp or something similar. Delete it. Restart.

Deleted User
August 10, 2005, 11:55 pm
*speachless*

u call that fairly easy??

SuperKill
August 11, 2005, 12:05 am
lapis, first of all thanks alot.
now, i'm there already but i dont see anything winamp-related;
[IMAGE]
as you can see, WinRaR is there, but i highly doubt that's the cause of the problem (i wont argue if you say that's the cause).
you think i should delete anything from that list?

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 12:10 am
Could you please list the folders that you found?

I don't believe its an application issue, but if you found no suspicious apps, then try the following steps:

In Regedit, browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell, and in the right panel, double-click on the "Default" key and type "none" into the box or simply leave it blank. Restart.

SuperKill
August 11, 2005, 12:12 am
i guess the image didnt appear. i'll host it on another host;
[IMAGE]
if it still doesnt appear, the folders that were inside the ContextMenuHandlers folder are (in that order):

BATCHCMCUTIL
BriefcaseMenu
ICQLiteMenu
Offline Files
Open With
Open With EncryptionMenu
WinRAR

SuperKill
August 11, 2005, 12:12 am
i guess the image didnt appear. i'll host it on another host;
[IMAGE]
if it still doesnt appear, the folders that were inside the ContextMenuHandlers folder are (in that order):

{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}
BATCHCMCUTIL
BriefcaseMenu
ICQLiteMenu
Offline Files
Open With
Open With EncryptionMenu
WinRAR

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 12:14 am
See my above post then. Now the images are working for me, and I'm certain its Windows. =\

SuperKill
August 11, 2005, 12:22 am
lapis you're truely exceptional.
they couldnt find the problem even on some hardware oc forum, where software\hardware wizards are at.
if you wouldnt help me here i guess i'd be stuck with the (Please refrain from swearing)ty right-click-open feature till i get another comp, cause i lost the windows cd a while ago.

thanks alot man.
(and yea this can be locked)

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 12:31 am
Glad I could be of help, SuperKill.

Hitman
August 11, 2005, 12:34 am
*Makes a mental note to ask Lapis for help when he has a computer problem and not just reformat*

I had the same problem. Even worse though. You know when you open an unidentified folder in Windows, and it comes up with that menu asking what you should open it with? Well, I had that every time I tried to open a folder by double clicking. The only way I could get into my folders was by going to Windows Explorer and selecting them. I tried everything, even brought my Laptop to the geeks at school and the people in the ICT centre...none of them had a f**king clue.

Bah.

b00stA
August 11, 2005, 5:27 pm
[IMAGE]

Dunno if that helps you.
As for Winamp, I think you can change these settings via Winamp itself.