( search forums )
wtf was the point of making 1.3
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
mystery00
August 11, 2005, 9:08 am
1.3 is suppost to get rid of several bugs, but in fact not only doesn't it get rid of several annoying bugs but it has now delivered new ones!

Bugs still present:
Drop weapon twice reload < still there
Shoot through walls < still there
Nade jump through walls < still there
Wrong map version in the Nightmare and Mars maps < STILL THERE
Weapon gets jammed < still freakin there
The lag seems of gotten worse, before you could hit a person with an m79 nade and they wouldn't die, but this would happen now and then, in 1.3 this happens almost constanstly! on the same servers that have only switched to 1.3, and no, I don't lag on them, I have 16 ping, so the only explanation is to do with v1.3.

Ok, so you changed everything in soldat, the weapons are all different, a lot of new things to learn, I can handle that, but what I don't understand is why you couldn't fix these small problems, and why you had to go and make existing problems even worse.

Sorry for the outburst.

Mystery

m00`
August 11, 2005, 9:11 am
michal fixed a lot of things

- Fixed grenade selfkilling
- Fixed chainsaw collision so it is possible to massacre bodies
- Fixed not being able to chat on map change
- Fixed time does not flow if game is paused
- Fixed mp3 playing when list loops
- Fixed Advance mode cheat allowing to pick a disabled weapon with the keyboard
- Fixed server host bullet hit boost effect
- Fixed LAW exploit (dropped LAW must be reloaded)
- Fixed alt+F4 doesn't make a screenshot
- Fixed server-client time synchronization
- Fixed friendly fire for clients (team players don't bleed if it is off)
- Fixed if holding two weapons of the same kind - losing both when throwing one away
- Fixed bug when dead guys bullet didn't do any damage
- Fixed kills console fades when showing players menu
- Fixed M79 wall bug
- Fixed fast shot piercing wall bug
- Fixed causes of weapon jamming after reload
- Fixed causes of mute bug
- Fixed causes of invisible bullets in multiplayer
- Fixed wave respawn in dedicated server (if there are few players it takes less seconds to respawn)
- Fixed "biodro.bmp", "biodro2.bmp" and "reka.bmp"
- Fixed player does not join same team if chosen from change team menu (can be used for canceling the menu)
- Fixed paused server can be joined
- Fixed modified animations bug
- Fixed no respawn time showing after changing team from spectator
- Fixed changing video mode when joining server with wrong password
- Fixed soldat.ini value "Record_Time=", time in minutes of the autodemo rerecording
- Fixed all filelogs are now updated every minute only (can be specified in soldat.ini "LogFilesUpdate=")
- Fixed realistic mode visibility point, so players with head in ceiling are visible

many things that we had complained about in beta, he had said he would not be able to fix those very easily, just wait a little longer, many bugs have arrived with the many new additions to soldat, please just go easy on him -_-

mystery00
August 11, 2005, 9:34 am
Some of the things on that list are still there, another bug still there is not being able to pick up some boxes, and some of those fixes are to things I've never even heard of, also silent explosions are still there, being killed long after a nade has already exploded is still a problem. He has fixed a lot, maybe, but not the most common problems.

Mystery

i am ahab
August 11, 2005, 9:52 am
dude the lag based issuses are going to be a sod to fix.

basically means a debug of the network code.

ouchies.

peemonkey
August 11, 2005, 10:07 am
are you another one of these kids who signs up to (Please refrain from swearing)? get over it, ;et's see you code something even (Please refrain from swearing)ing playable

mystery00
August 11, 2005, 10:42 am
I'm saying that they shouldn't of made a version that's just as bad if not worse than the original, and no I'm not one of those kids who (whatever you said). Most of the fixes in that list are wrong, and haven't been fixed.

Mystery

.alex.oner.
August 11, 2005, 10:46 am
[IMAGE]

i am ahab
August 11, 2005, 10:47 am
^^ <3 alex

quote:
I'm saying that they shouldn't of made a version that's just as bad if not worse than the original,

well, theres ya problem.

there is no 'they'. this is the work of one man dude. bear that in mind when you slate a new version for being buggy.

soldat is a buggy game anyway. but i love it. because im a ho.

crazymonkey
August 11, 2005, 11:31 am
quote:Originally posted by .alex.oner.http://www.jordansplace.net/homepage/shutup.jpg

Cool, you know how to post pictures. How about typing arguments?

bond_james_bond
August 11, 2005, 11:38 am
I can't do that very well. But you're not asking me are you?

The game can always be better. There's always gonna be bugs.

stfu please.

LazehBoi
August 11, 2005, 12:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by mystery00Bugs still present:
The lag seems of gotten worse, before you could hit a person with an m79 nade and they wouldn't die, but this would happen now and then, in 1.3 this happens almost constanstly! on the same servers that have only switched to 1.3, and no, I don't lag on them, I have 16 ping, so the only explanation is to do with v1.3.

I haven't noticed any more lag compared to 1.2.1. As for the first few bugs you mentioned - they're all old bugs he can't fix. Get used to them. As for "Wrong map version in the Nightmare and Mars maps", I haven't played those maps at all, nor seen them, so.

FliesLikeABrick
August 11, 2005, 1:06 pm
i'm not sure if you've noticed, but usually he makes a new version to:
-add new features people ask for and that are good in the game
-fix bugs that take a long time for him to fix

then shortly afterwards (either a couple weeks to a couple months) he releases a fix (hence 1.2.0 --> 1.2.1 etc) to fix new bugs introduced while putting in the new features and fixing the old bugs.

it is a vicious neverending cycle, and companies like microsoft release software when each successive amount of work on an OS create as many bugs as they fixed.

Chakra`
August 11, 2005, 1:08 pm
Well the reason he hasn't fixed these bugs is because of one of two reasons.

1. Us beta testers just never found them.

2. Michal doesn't know 'how' to fix them. Michal confessed a few times in the beta forums that the only reason he's adding or changing certain things in Soldat is because he's only just learnt how to. He's good at what he does, but when it comes to making Soldat, he's learning as he goes.

person
August 11, 2005, 1:58 pm
Just for the record, I have definetly noticed all of the things mystery has said in his first post.

I'd also like to use this time to express a degree of dissatisfaction with the quality of peemonkey's logic and reasoning skills.

Chakra`, I'd be honestly surprised if you truly have never experienced any of those problems, as they are quite common. But I understand the last part, and that's fair enough... though I do feel 1.3 is "laggier" than 1.2.1, which is a main gripe when mixed with the reduced weapon damage. And across all servers I use, my ping ranges from ~16-~50.

Edit: Also, Moo: only 4 of those fixes affected gameplay, and still, some of those were not really fixed.

Outcast
August 11, 2005, 2:09 pm
[IMAGE]

ThaD
August 11, 2005, 2:10 pm
that's one of the best (most stupid?) topics for some time, cheers

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 2:55 pm
1.3 is a mix of good and bad. Overall, it's still just as fun as it was before, so there's really no reason to complain - just adjust and get good again.

ráz0r
August 11, 2005, 3:32 pm
Its not stupid, hes pissed at there still being silly bugs. Like throwing nades through bridge in maps like laos, or shooting through walls which is understandable and should be fixed. However if michal knew how to fix he would have.. theres still also crouch bug... and alot of others, but i suspect next version will have less fancy new features like backflip and more bug fixes.

Kazuki
August 11, 2005, 3:38 pm
What was the point? Would you rather have 1.2.1 with all those bugs or have 1.3.0 with just a few of them? That's the point. It's so extremely easy to understand and it couldn't be more logical.

"Why make a version if it's going to be crap?"

Because it's not as bad as the version before it, that's why (looking at it negatively) . The fact that you have something negative to that is just amazing. I understand that Michal and us beta testers may have disappointed you, but some of you are really getting on my nerves. I can probably guarantee you that you and a bunch of others who claim we don't do a good job can't do any better.

Also, thought I'd let you know:

- The double-drop bug was fixed in the early beta stages. I don't know why it isn't fixed now. I can't even confirm that it wasn't.
- I'm not sure if Michal changed anything in the netcode except for the ShowRealLag thing. The lag shouldn't be any different at all.
- Michal is currently hunting down the wrong map version bug. He'll most likely be releasing a patch soon.
- The shooting through walls and boosting through them is also based on the way maps are compiled. I don't think Michal can do anything about it. It only happens wherever two polygons meet. I doubt everyone in a public server is going to waste their time trying to position themselves just right so that they can shoot through poly-cracks.
- The weapon jams have always been there. I didn't get a weapon jam once during beta testing. The weapon jamming has been severely reduced since older version, but of course you can't be thankful for that.

I suppose Michal should bring back the get-boosted-if-you're-the-host bug so you can be ungrateful about that, too. :)

b00stA
August 11, 2005, 3:46 pm
Does anyone here honestly think this topic will improve the situation?

Michal is doing his best to fix things. The "new lag" problem is imaginary.

The bugs were "fixed" however they can occur again in other forms or just sneak in otherwise. Soldat is extremely complex, programming wise. Remember that Michal is the only person writing the game.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 3:57 pm
It obviously can't fix anything, but it's natural for people to complain anyway. It's what people do. heh heh

Hitman
August 11, 2005, 4:01 pm
Actually, I don't mean to contradict all you lovely people *cough* Bulls**t *cough* but I have had an increase in lag problems. I find that people tend to warp a lot more. Pretty much every time I "go into battle" and come across the enemy, they all seem to be going in their own directions, namely towards my base, seemingly oblivious to me running at them and then *BAM* I've got almost zero health, they're all in different places and shooting at me.

..and no, it's not my wireless.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 4:20 pm
get a grip Michal is trying his best instead of complaining we should alll be happy that soldat came out and we should thank him not tell him to work harder to remove problems.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 4:21 pm
The lag is probably the servers you're playing on. There are few decent, low pinging servers around for 1.3 yet. I believe it'll get better.

ráz0r
August 11, 2005, 4:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by HitmanActually, I don't mean to contradict all you lovely people *cough* Bulls**t *cough* but I have had an increase in lag problems. I find that people tend to warp a lot more. Pretty much every time I "go into battle" and come across the enemy, they all seem to be going in their own directions, namely towards my base, seemingly oblivious to me running at them and then *BAM* I've got almost zero health, they're all in different places and shooting at me.

..and no, it's not my wireless.

its the ecstasy

person
August 11, 2005, 4:42 pm
It's possible that it's the servers. Why can't I be sure? Because all the good servers I used before are still running 1.2.1.

My personal opinion is that Soldat was very balanced in 1.2.1 anyway. The harder weapons to use had niche skills that regular users would adopt... and while there were a few popular weapons amongst the newer players due to their ease of use, a half decent niche weapon player could easily match and/or outmatch the capabilities presented by some of the "noob" guns. I know I had no problem with any death caused by the weapons... just the lag and bugs ;)

This thread has been reasonable so far, actually... the comments haven't really been negative, for the most part.

Chakra`
August 11, 2005, 5:27 pm
Wasn't there a few 'extra options' towards lag for the servers to tweak? I didn't check that side of the beta...not my area.

Maybe some servers just haven't configured themselves properly... still, i'm finding myself quite handy with a ruger...can even tell when i've got a headshot. Seems fine to me.

person
August 11, 2005, 6:46 pm
Yeah you can limit the packet size, but it's annoying... there have been too many flood warnings and (I hate word filters for relatively harmless words).

damnnation
August 11, 2005, 6:48 pm
wtf was the point if this useless topic?

wormdundee
August 11, 2005, 7:01 pm
I've never had this happen to me in this version, but possibly it is still around. I don't think so though.

Never seen this been done in this version before either, although that's probably due to playing in servers where people don't try to shoot through walls.

Probably, but again, it's not that big of a deal, it happens accidentally only very rarely.

I don't know why you're limiting it to these 2 maps because it does happen with all maps seeing as how it's something with the server not with the maps if I remember correctly.

Yes, this one is still there and quite annoying, but seeing as how it happens a lot less than in 1.2.1, it's not all that bad.

- Fixed LAW exploit (dropped LAW must be reloaded)
- Fixed causes of invisible bullets in multiplayer

These two were supposed to be fixed, but apparently not, the LAW bug has been fixed for LAW I think, but now it works for some other weapons.

And finally, the only really bad bug I know of, is the invisible bullets thing. It's gotten worse since 1.2.1 as many times I've been unable to see a m79 projectile coming even though I could see the guy who shot it.
Hopefully, this one will be fixed in an upcoming patch :)

- Fake pickups

This still happens also, not too often though, so it's not all that bad

That was fun, and most definitely this version is not crap.

person
August 11, 2005, 7:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by damnnationwtf was the point if this useless topic?

I think it's that the thread creator feels that 1.3 is more of a shift in the direction Soldat is taking rather than an actual update of the game he has been used to playing.

Woah, I feel the same way!

It's a little confusing as to what to make of the situation I guess.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 7:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by personIt's possible that it's the servers. Why can't I be sure? Because all the good servers I used before are still running 1.2.1.

Yeah, exactly. My favorite servers are still 1.2.1.

I really wish they would switch over, because I don't really want to live in the past. heh

Bug
August 11, 2005, 7:14 pm
Quit whinin' and just play 1.3 or the old one. If you want to continue good gameplay, you just have to get used to the new version, no can do. Too bad for whiners.

person
August 11, 2005, 7:18 pm
A lot about Soldat is the community you play with... at least it is for me. And if you use 1.2.1, you aren't going to meet up with a lot of those players. 1.3's changes don't make for "better" gameplay, as I have been saying - it's just different.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 7:23 pm
Right, person. It's a HUGE community game for me.

The game is small enough for me to meet someone I've played with before almost every time I log on. It's great to get to know people just by logging on and playing a random server. Don't even need to talk outside of Soldat. You know you'll meet again.

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 8:24 pm
Yeah, feels like the lag has gone worse, but maybe it's just my imagination...

Has Michal improved the net code, by the way?

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 8:49 pm
Omg. Why are ppl making topics like this ???
Bugs are in most games. And we can thank to MM that soldat haven't TONS of bugs.
For me is the gameplay at 1st place and the gameplay of soldat is 7 maybe 8\10
So...where's the problem ??? All games have bugs.
Live with it.
Do u want know a much more buggy program ? Use Windows XP...
:)

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 9:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by FluffyYeah, feels like the lag has gone worse, but maybe it's just my imagination...

Has Michal improved the net code, by the way?

It's not your imagination, but I don't think it's the game's fault.

TheRelinquished
August 11, 2005, 9:43 pm
"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle." ~ Chinese proverb

Why don't you try to fix it Mystery?

I've actualy had fewer problems than before. But I guess I'm just crazy like that.

- Tek -
August 12, 2005, 8:18 am
The lag on most servers is probably due to too many players, and weapons mods that are way too intense. I bet the slowdown in the server is caused by rapid fire infinite ammo autos/ barrets/laws/m79's flying all over the place.

person
August 12, 2005, 8:25 am
Tek, I don't play on WM servers (main reason - they suck), and most Australian servers don't allow ridiculous amounts of players to join. Usually a max. of 12, and they aren't always full.

ThaD
August 12, 2005, 11:16 am
it's just another useless i-hate-new-version topic

[IMAGE]

Outcast
August 12, 2005, 11:20 am
Anyone noticing that mostly only new guys complain? The ones that have no idea? Go away we won't miss you.

m00`
August 12, 2005, 11:41 am
yah im sick of the emo-infested posts

"hello guys you might not all know me but one day i decided i would play soldat 1.3 but sadly my gun has been all ruined now i feel that i am sad and i must cry, this game has been my whole life, now its all ruined, now im going to go play my faviourate 1.2.1 and i am going to cry, i hope one day Michal my love will fix my gun, this game is my life, please do somthing or i will leave"

F*CK OF AND LEAVE WE DONT WANT YOU TO SPAM THE FORUM WITH YOUR CRAP

Deleted User
August 12, 2005, 11:46 am
When will a moderator lock all this bs? I mean yeah I was pissed too, I almost quit - my favorite guns were among the most nerfed - my precious deagles. Im alive, im playing, get over it.

Im begging you moderators to lock these up.

VodkaZombie
August 12, 2005, 12:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by .alex.oner.[IMAGE]

Intelligent post of the day.

bond_james_bond
August 12, 2005, 12:35 pm
What?
The Stfu part or the 'Think before you say something stupid' part.

Outcast
August 12, 2005, 12:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Outcast[IMAGE]

My post rules so much more. It has class. Now close this already.

b00stA
August 12, 2005, 7:12 pm
Narf.

Topic locked.