( search forums )
cd-rom doesn't exist
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Liber_Lupus
August 11, 2005, 9:42 pm
I decided to do a firewire update to the cd-rom because it was painfully slow. After 1,5 hours of updating it came up with some kind of pop up, I clicked Ok and the computer freezed. I had to manually restart it from the button. Windows loaded 5x slower than usually and when it finally loaded I tried to check if the cd-rom is now faster. But, it doesn't seem to exist anymore. It's not under My Computer anymore and even iTunes opens the cd-rw rom instead of cd-rom. I can't even open it from the button. And Everest doesn't show it exists either.
Any idea how to get it back? :/

Deleted User
August 11, 2005, 9:49 pm
sorry man...no clue what ur talkin bout heh...somones gotta know tho

FliesLikeABrick
August 11, 2005, 9:56 pm
a botched firmware upgrade often means death to hardware like CD-ROM drives. Try the update again, or try to find an older firmware update if the new one still crashes.

Check under Device Manager to see if the device still exists there. How do you get there? right click My Computer --> Properties --> Hardware --> click the device manager button

ráz0r
August 11, 2005, 10:08 pm
Its what happens when you leave ::NbK:: MUAHHA

Felix
August 11, 2005, 10:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by ráz0rIts what happens when you leave ::NbK:: MUAHHA

That's a poor answer, try to help him instead of pissing ppl off.

Liber_Lupus
August 11, 2005, 10:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABricka botched firmware upgrade often means death to hardware like CD-ROM drives. Try the update again, or try to find an older firmware update if the new one still crashes.

Check under Device Manager to see if the device still exists there. How do you get there? right click My Computer --> Properties --> Hardware --> click the device manager button

I'll try using a different firmware tommorrow then. I hope I won't have to buy a new cd-rom :/

It didn't exist in the device manager.

Also Jaz, next time, don't bother posting.

AerialAssault
August 12, 2005, 12:17 am
were you really that impatient with your CD rom, just go back to IDE.

rabidhamster
August 12, 2005, 12:46 am
my cd drive did that one time, i had to write zeros to the hard drive and reinstall windows. fun fun fun.

for now, use the cd-rw drve.

Swebonny
August 12, 2005, 8:42 am
damn it dont seems to be nice. If you reakky have to install Windows again besure to store all ur files in ur MP3 or some floppy disk.

Else find proffectional help :\

Liber_Lupus
August 12, 2005, 9:39 am
Heh, I turned on my computer and noticed it's back again, and working. But not updated, so I guess Windows restored it. I'll just suffer the slow speeds, better than nothing.

Problem solved.