( search forums )
Bouldering! (Now with pics of yours truely)
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
The Geologist
August 13, 2005, 4:22 am
Yes! Bouldering! Lately I've been getting more and more active in the sport and I have to say it's becoming addictive. For those of you who don't know what bouldering is, here are a few pictures.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Mind you none of these pictures are of me, heh heh. I have yet to upload my climbing pictures ^_^ I'm curious, do any of you enjoy outdoor sports of this nature? Maybe you have a few pics around of places you like to climb, hike, or do anything else? Post, discuss!

EDIT: Here's an update. Most of the pictures taken came out poorly (too dark to see, blurry, etc), leaving only one worth posting (for the time being).

[IMAGE]

The chute is damn near vertical with a slight curve at the bottom. I have my hands wedged in some tiny cracks, and my toes jammed near flat against the rock. Roughly 30 feet tall, it was a good route for my first time climbing.
[IMAGE]

Bigger pic

Ridin' the crack (for those of you who were curious what I looked like..at least from the back.)

mar77a
August 13, 2005, 4:27 am
Well, here in Argentina, at Cerro Catedral, in summer there are some "good" bouldering sites, lookzor ....

[IMAGE]

and A 360 degrees look.

N1nj@
August 13, 2005, 4:29 am
I remember there is an extreme sport where you do jump tricks around rocks...That's kinda cool...but it looks dangerous :P

peemonkey
August 13, 2005, 4:41 am
wow, that's actually something people do? whenever im in yosemite i climb the boudlers in the valley. it's a kick ass place, you should go there, ill show you some sweet spots ;)

mickle89
August 13, 2005, 5:38 am
I want to do that!

Deleted User
August 13, 2005, 5:38 am
Yeah, Yosemite's Half-moon Boulder (or something like that) is great to climb, although very dangerous, and I've never attempted it.

peemonkey
August 13, 2005, 5:45 am
i'd never climb that (Please refrain from swearing), but i've hiked the ass of it, helluva veiw. <3 california

karmazon
August 13, 2005, 6:59 am
there is no places to do bouldering around here
i hate california

n00bface
August 13, 2005, 7:16 am
you don't actually like bouldering do you..you just like getting sexual with the rocks.
i like kayaking, if that counts as stuff of 'this sort'. whenever i'm at my cabin i take the kayak out and kayak up all the rivers by the lake.

UGK
August 13, 2005, 7:22 am
dude bouldering is kinda "wierd" that guy in the frist picture is wearing red panties.....or manties....theres actually something called manties....google that and see results

The Geologist
August 13, 2005, 7:23 am
lol..you never know, I do get to grope lot of rocks ;D

It's a rush though...the first time I went out my friends took me up to a newrby resevoir, where the rocks break up into pretty regularly blocky chunks. In less than an hour I was climbing up a thirty foot schute with tiny cracks on either side, and getting up to the top left my heart racing. Something about getting up so high and realizing you have to go on, 'cause you can't fall or come back down...

Kayaking rules! Get any pics? I don't have a kayak, but I like takign inner tubes down the nearby rivers from high up in the mountains.

Captain RibMan
August 13, 2005, 7:45 am
FliesLikeABrick will be right into this thread.

WATCH OUT!! :O :O

n00bface
August 13, 2005, 7:57 am
quote:Kayaking rules! Get any pics?
i'll take some when i go up in a week.

Vijchtidoodah
August 13, 2005, 3:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeywow, that's actually something people do? whenever im in yosemite i climb the boudlers in the valley. it's a kick ass place, you should go there, ill show you some sweet spots ;)

I'm moving up near Yosemite in two weeks...just the thought of being so close to it makes me happy. Last time I was there, I hiked up to Nevada Falls and actually stood right next to it on the edge with the water coming across my shoes. Then, as a treat to myself after three days without a shower, I hiked down the side of it and finally back to the main part of Yosemite. I wish I could've found a picture on google of the view from the falls instead of at them, because those were some of the most beautiful views I've ever seen.

I also want to learn all about rock climbing next time I go, that's been something I've wanted to do for such a long time.

Ooh, Kayak, too. I've only taken our kayak out into the ocean here to surf some waves, but I hope to find some good places to do some real kayaking up there.

Can't wait to see your pics, Geo.

Deleted User
August 13, 2005, 4:20 pm
only physical thing I like is secks. CLIMBING ROCKS IS LIKE HELL 2 ME

reckon
August 13, 2005, 5:35 pm
Texas isnt much of a place for bouldering, well at least in Dallas where I live.
I climb trees instead :D

FliesLikeABrick
August 13, 2005, 6:24 pm
I've been rock climbing since i was 7, i am now 19.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

more pictures of my father and I (and his friends) rock/ice climbing are in http://u13.net/photos/

I've climbed in 15 states and 3 countries, and have been getting better and better over the years.

quote:Originally posted by karmazonthere is no places to do bouldering around here
i hate california

couldn't be much farther from the truth. I live in NY, about 20 mins away from the shawangunk ridge (considered the first or second best rock climbing in the US), and i have climbed in a couple places in california, one of which is joshua tree state park, another one of the best places in the country.

ráz0r
August 13, 2005, 6:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by Psychoonly physical thing I like is secks

too bad your a virgin

Deleted User
August 13, 2005, 7:10 pm
Hmm what physical work do i do...hmm...

Well one I wont tell you guys and the other is working out my fingers with my gamecube conroller....

Swebonny
August 13, 2005, 7:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@I remember there is an extreme sport where you do jump tricks around rocks...That's kinda cool...but it looks dangerous :P

I do it with my friend. It hurts so (Please refrain from swearing)ing much in the (Please refrain from swearing) when i land on the ground...

Zero72
August 13, 2005, 9:03 pm
Wow. Looks exTREME, and quite dangerous. Not my sort of thing. =P

I'm an avid indoorsman. I dunno how a guy's supposed to breathe with all that fresh air out there.

You must have impressive upper-body strength.

MonkeyHead79
August 13, 2005, 9:08 pm
Myself, I'm partial to the exTREME sport of spending 48 hours in front of the computer.

wormdundee
August 13, 2005, 9:58 pm
ah, ive been down to joshua tree park a couple times while i was in california

didnt do any climbing but hiked around a damn lot and saw quite a few people climbing

it was so feckin windy that day, and the only thing i can remember is that there was a rock that looked like a skull

karmazon
August 13, 2005, 11:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick

couldn't be much farther from the truth. I live in NY, about 20 mins away from the shawangunk ridge (considered the first or second best rock climbing in the US), and i have climbed in a couple places in california, one of which is joshua tree state park, another one of the best places in the country.

yeah too bad the spots are not a walking distance from where I live cause nothing here is a walking distance, unlike in Poland, bla bla bla you know the rest.

ráz0r
August 13, 2005, 11:21 pm
in spain i climbed a huge rock, with no harness or anything. no trainers either, i left them at the bottom of the rock ;D. Cos I was gonna jump in water, there was 3 girls and me and my mate. I was first to jump in :D cos im so manly. I went back to do it this year but If i jumped in I would have died, cos the water was going rapid into the rocks.. was fun tho.

Deleted User
August 14, 2005, 12:25 am
PARKOUR MEETS BOULDERING.

Love me.

karmazon
August 14, 2005, 12:38 am
that's not parkour that's a frontflip off a high ground

Deleted User
August 14, 2005, 2:31 am
w/e

FliesLikeABrick
August 14, 2005, 4:55 am
meh for d*ckwaving/this thread. i didn't even really want to post that i climbed

Captain Ben
August 14, 2005, 5:23 am
Heh. The closest I ever got to bouldering was on one of those fibre glass walls.
I'd try it if I could, but where I live, well... It's in the centre of the Sunshine Coast.
Anywho, I don't kayak, but I surfski, because I live right infront of a canal. I do laps around my island :D

The Geologist
August 14, 2005, 5:36 am
lol, no worries Flies...is that your garage? If so, it's pretty damn sweet. I'm envious. I hope to get as much experience as that..never too late to start, 'eh?

peemonkey
August 14, 2005, 5:56 am
where exactly vijcht ? like, stanislaus or like, kinda near as in....lodi? either way, bumfuq as all getout...

Vijchtidoodah
August 14, 2005, 8:10 am
Merced, actually. It's a little hick town about an hour southwest of Yosemite and two and a half hours east of San Francisco.

Flies, that is an awesome setup you have there. That would be so much fun to just monkey around with for a few hours.

Geo, hurry up with those pictures! :P

By the way, judging from those pictures, you don't use ropes when go bouldering. Is that typical of the kind of stuff that you're doing?

The Geologist
August 14, 2005, 8:13 am
I'm hurryin'! They were taken on a friends throw away camera, so I have to wait until he gets 'em developed. The next time I go outside I'll take my digi camera :P

And yes, it is. No ropes required. It sounds odd, but there's very little chance of falling once you really get into it and learn about where to place your weight, holds, etc. That and ropes are way expensive -_-

peemonkey
August 14, 2005, 8:18 am
never go anywhere without rope though ;)
merced? you poor (Please refrain from swearing), why? come on over the sonoma county, the best damned county in the state :D

Vijchtidoodah
August 14, 2005, 8:27 am
Ha! Sonoma hasn't got anything on good 'ol San Diego county... Can you believe that? I'm leaving the beach and all its scantily-clad-female-goodness for a dry desert that nobody's even heard of.

Why? UC Merced. The brand spanking new UC campus. I could write paragraphs upon paragraphs explaining how awesome it's going to be, but let me just summarize it with this: gourmet food served to the dorms -- that's right, catering, baby! (And the fact that the only other school that accepted me was in Compton...I think I made the right choice)

Captain Ben
August 14, 2005, 8:30 am
quote:Originally posted by wormdundeeah, ive been down to joshua tree park a couple times while i was in california

didnt do any climbing but hiked around a damn lot and saw quite a few people climbing

it was so feckin windy that day, and the only thing i can remember is that there was a rock that looked like a skull

OMG THE PHANTOM'S SKULLCAVE!
Anywho, to all of the boulderers, what's the highest you've ever climbed? And just to boost my memory, was that guy at the start of Mission Impossible Two bouldering?

karmazon
August 14, 2005, 8:51 am
yes
and that guy was tom cruise
and the movie was made by john woo
and the song playing during the rock-climbing scene at the beginning is "Iko Iko," which also plays over the opening credits of Rain Man (1988), also starring Tom Cruise.
and the famous rock climbing sequence was filmed at Dead Horse Point in Utah. Tom Cruise was on cables which were then digitally removed. Ron Kauk was the climbing double and the overhang stunt was performed by main stunt double, Keith Campbell. John Woo was so scared each time but "Tom insisted on doing it".

peemonkey
August 14, 2005, 9:18 am
lol. Kauk.

Swebonny
August 14, 2005, 11:42 am
Hey guys if you really want to see parkour. Check limewire :D I got an FICKING AWSOME MOVIE!

karmazon
August 14, 2005, 11:43 am
if you really want to see parkour check out david belle and only him

Rambo_6
August 14, 2005, 2:41 pm
Rappelling would be fun too :D

But i tried bouldering once with one of those lame climbing walls. I beat the record, but it wasn't as satisfying.

FliesLikeABrick
August 14, 2005, 2:58 pm
The highest ive climbed was just over 700 feet on Roger's Rock in NY state. It is a huge cliff that starts right off the water, and goes up for hundreds of feet. While we were climbing, boats were watching us on and off all day long (it took pretty much all day to climb it)

My dad has been climbing since he was in college. The highest climb he has done/longest was 1100 feet.

Yeah that is our garage, my dad and I work out there on a regular basis. We have routes marked out (about 15 of them) and listed by difficulty, so we start out at a comfortable level, and work up to the harder and harder ones as we get warmed up. The hardest is probably around a V4 or so (I believe that V1 is about equivalent to 5.10).

My dad has been accumulating gear to his rack or about 25 years, so he has pretty much anything for climbing or ice climbing. About 3 years he became a licensed rock climbing guide as well.

He doesn't boulder, I do. Unfortunately when I am up at college there is very, very little climbing I can do, there is nowhere to climb there, and I don't have the free time on the weekends to drive home.

i am ahab
August 16, 2005, 11:02 am
i go surfing and longboarding.

but those rough rocks would chaff my dainty moisturised hands.

nah seriously, i couldnt do that.... im a water baby... but falling onto rocks :x

ive cut my head open on coral before though. and (Please refrain from swearing) wept that hurt....

August 16, 2005, 5:53 pm
Is drifting considered a sport? I just do it occasionaly, not too often. Love rockclimbing, but only dynamite blasted walls in malaysia so hard to get grip cos is too smooth.

papasurf31
August 16, 2005, 6:25 pm
Windsailing, surfing, I recently tried snowboarding, which is completely different from surfing >.<

I used to do freestyle walking. It looks stupid, but it's inredibaly fun and great excercise :P
For those of you who don't know what that is, imagine skateboarding tricks, but without the skateboard.

LazehBoi
August 16, 2005, 6:34 pm
Freestyle walking... Sure sounds hardcore.

Hitman
August 16, 2005, 7:36 pm
quote:imagine skateboarding tricks, but without the skateboardAhahahahahahaha! You guys must be so cool.

SuperKill
August 16, 2005, 8:16 pm
how the hell do you preform skateboard tricks without a skateboard? that's really something i cant firgure out.

i used to work at a sea sport club, and ofcourse i got to do basiclly everything the place offered; water skiing (on a board aswell), scuba diving, windsurf, kayaks, bunjee, etc.. but the top notch was sky diving.

when i was little, me and some friends always went to 'hike' some mountains near the city boarders, to reach for the bunkers and pick up tons of grenade shells, bullets, and exploded missiles.

Captain Ben
August 17, 2005, 7:16 am
I surfski on my canal, wakeboard, kneeboard, ski (can't do one :(), scuba dive and play tennis. The issue with tennis is that i only started recently, got put into fixtures and played in division four. I'm now 'so' skilled I can beat any kid from the ages seven to eleven.

aprilninety
August 17, 2005, 7:54 am
i go on endless trails of cycling up mountains. the funnest part is going back down on san francisco mountains.

if you've ever been to california's yosemite national park, and you go to vernal falls you can usually see people climbing huge cliffs with deadly waterfalls...

karmazon
August 17, 2005, 9:15 am
quote:[i]
For those of you who don't know what that is, imagine skateboarding tricks, but without the skateboard.

I can't imagine just one trick - boardslide without a skateboard :/
Actually I can imagine it, but I don't think anyone would ever do it

papasurf31
August 17, 2005, 11:48 am
Well, we don't grind down rails on our crotches if that's what you mean. We've been doing it for a while, so there's a groove in our shoes that fit prefecty on rails and stuff, so you can just jump on one and slide down all the way. As long as you don't go to fast or lose your balance, it is wicked fun.

Another aspect of it is to make huge jumps from high places or across rooftops of close buildings. Wall runs also, where you see how many steps you can take on a wall (my max is like 7 from a high place) and then still land on your feet. It's like Sonic, but with real people, and not nearly as cool. But still cool, in a unique sort of way.

Captain Ben
August 17, 2005, 12:03 pm
So it's a kind of ninja freestyling?

Deleted User
August 17, 2005, 4:44 pm
From what I've heard, freestyle walking is pretty stupid.

Zero72
August 17, 2005, 6:04 pm
Ever watched a freerunner? Those guys are pretty amazing.

Isn't bouldering very hard on your hands/fingers? =/

lastpatriot
August 17, 2005, 7:28 pm
I've done a little bit of bouldering in Yosemite(I live in New Jersey)

Jersey XTREME!!!!111 sports I have done are...

Trash Can snowboarding: Get on the inner part of the lid, and... die.

Go on people's roofs(houses), and that's it. I suck

Surf, where the (Please refrain from swearing) do you live? Do they make special shoes for freestyle walking?

Cookie.
August 17, 2005, 7:44 pm
I beleive they have some with soap blocks on the bottom to grind things :)

b00stA
August 17, 2005, 9:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31We've been doing it for a while, so there's a groove in our shoes that fit prefecty on rails and stuff, so you can just jump on one and slide down all the way. As long as you don't go to fast or lose your balance, it is wicked fun.

That seems to be more similiar to inline skating instead of skateboarding.