( search forums )
Long John Baldry (voice of Robotnik) - RIP
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Zero72
August 16, 2005, 8:52 am
John Baldry was the voice of Dr. Robotnik on the old Sonic cartoons. The funny ones without all the Archie comics characters. Well, he has now passed away.

I watched that show faithfully when I was a kid, every day before I went off to elementary school. I was a Sonic fanatic long before I became a Mega Man and part-time Zelda fanboy. And I spent my mornings and afternoons at a day-care as a kid, too, so some of my friends were getting kind of irritated that we seemed to be watching that cartoon about every morning. Good times. And I think Robotnik was the best character, too. The other cartoon made Robotnik out to be this really dark and sinister-sounding guy with a low and gravelly voice and stuff, but I liked him a lot better as an off-the-wall lunatic. I'd have to say Baldry was the best voice actor, to my knowledge.

Obviously, I'm not exactly falling apart at the seams over it, but it was worth noting to me, since I used to be such a fan of the cartoon. Shmorky made a third Sonic spoof-cartoon that's now on SomethingAwful in his honor. It's rather crude and somewhat disturbing in places, but hilarious, and there's a real tribute at the end that's really surprisingly sincere and touching. It's just really a bummer that he's gone.

If nothing else, here's a tidbit to chew on: The voice actor who did Robotnik in Sonic Adventure 2 also died somewhat recently, like a month or two ago. Kinda creepy.

Denacke
August 16, 2005, 11:44 am
You're next.

karmazon
August 16, 2005, 12:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by DenackeYou're next.

that was harsh

August 16, 2005, 12:19 pm
Denacke, you're right after him if he dies.

_Mancer_
August 16, 2005, 1:05 pm
I watched that show too, but I really don't give a sh-t about the voice actors who played them..

lastpatriot
August 16, 2005, 8:20 pm
I watched the show, too.

Kinda sad, but... I didn't know he existed.

So, are you going to have a chili-dog cookout in his honor?

Zero72
August 17, 2005, 6:33 am
...Hell, that might not be a bad idea. =P

Edit: I've heard that Baldry may also have been a singer. I don't know this stuff.

August 17, 2005, 6:34 am
I'd have a chilli dog cookout anyday, cos im always hungry.

Captain Ben
August 17, 2005, 7:11 am
For you it was Sonic. For me, it was SAILOR MOON! I still remain faithful. the theme song is my mobile tone!

lastpatriot
August 17, 2005, 5:18 pm
No, the chili dog thing was a reference to the show(and comics). As I recall, Sonic scarfed those (Please refrain from swearing)ers down like a Hoover.