( search forums )
super low bandwidth stream for soldat radio
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
rabidhamster
August 18, 2005, 12:25 am
NOTE: do not pay attention to the text at size 1. it's just me whining.

PLEASE.

i must hear the interviews with michal marcinkowski, but i have aol. that's right, A. O. L. america offline. it is dialup, but not the fancy 8k/sec dialup everybod uses nowadays. we're talking 1.5k/sec.

so i was hoping that the soldat radio peoples could make a temporary super low bandwidth stream (1k/sec) just for the interviews. PLEASE.

please don't say, "no one can make anything out of 1k/sec audio!" i can. i'm used to playing computer games at 3 fps. i know what it's like to wait a week to download a bootlegged movie that hasn't come out on DVD (we just got a dvd player on christmas), then have it finish downloading 2 days after the home release.

PLEASE. i beg of you.

Hoodlum
August 18, 2005, 12:51 am
quote:Originally posted by rabidhamsterNOTE: do not pay attention to the text at size 1. it's just me whining.

PLEASE.

i must hear the interviews with michal marcinkowski, but i have aol. that's right, A. O. L. america offline. it is dialup, but not the fancy 8k/sec dialup everybod uses nowadays. we're talking 1.5k/sec.

so i was hoping that the soldat radio peoples could make a temporary super low bandwidth stream (1k/sec) just for the interviews. PLEASE.

please don't say, "no one can make anything out of 1k/sec audio!" i can. i'm used to playing computer games at 3 fps. i know what it's like to wait a week to download a bootlegged movie that hasn't come out on DVD (we just got a dvd player on christmas), then have it finish downloading 2 days after the home release.

PLEASE. i beg of you.
What if they just record it and then you can listen to it on your own?

rabidhamster
August 18, 2005, 1:09 am
you mean, listen to a recorded version? that's not the same!

EDIT: yay i'm a captain

_Mancer_
August 18, 2005, 1:39 am
... They are recording it anyway dude.. thats what chakra did for the Soldat News reports

He would record it before hand, add some cheap effects to it and broadcast it on the radio.

Thats how they do it!

Chakra`
August 18, 2005, 2:43 am
Not exactly. 'This' interview will be live, with interaction and questions from those participating in our irc channel. It'll just also be recorded and 'eventually' made available for download.

Anyhow, Soldat Radio will be having a 48kbps radio stream - as well as the high quality 112kbps stream - which is usually suitable for any form of bandwidth. Try listening to some other 48kbps radio stations and, well, if you still get problems maybe we'll make the 48kbps a 24kbps transmission (the lowest it goes).

FliesLikeABrick
August 18, 2005, 4:21 am
i can rebroadcast the low-quality one at even lower if you want. i can link my server to the highquality one and broadcast it at 24 if people want it.

hopefully i'll be around

TheRelinquished
August 18, 2005, 5:36 am
Aww, looking out for the low-bandwidth players. Now that is brotherhood. I hope something is worked out. Everyone deserves the chance to hear it live.

rabidhamster
August 18, 2005, 7:55 pm
forget it.

it'll be impossible to listen to. *sigh* i really hate 1.5k/sec. on the other hand, i could try going over to my friend's house, but i don't think he wants me to sit on his computer, listening to people talk about soldat.

still, it would be nice for you to put up a 24kbps stream, flieslikeabrick. then the accelerated dialup people can listen.