( search forums )
Clip of wepons...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 4:05 pm
Ive noted that mp5 clip falls without moving can you make it spin?

Koon
August 20, 2005, 10:11 pm
I never really payed attention the the clips, except on the minigun when they're flying everywhere. This is still a good idea though.

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 10:47 pm
No one would even notice such a small addition though.

peemonkey
August 20, 2005, 11:42 pm
koon, the minigun's "clip" is a belt on the end of it. it's never free in the environment or anything...
i dont see much of a point really, though it'd be pretty easy to accomplish.

Deleted User
August 21, 2005, 12:03 am
I think Koon meant the ejected brass from the minigun. Not the belt itself. But yeah, this wouldn't really have much of a point, because I don't play Soldat to watch my empty clips hit the dirt in neat ways.

Koon
August 21, 2005, 12:11 am
Yes, i was talking about the empty shells or whatever coming out in a trail from the guns. I got them and the clips mixed up, sorry.

F3nyx
August 24, 2005, 7:33 am
It would be cool to watch, and easy to add. I don't see why it shouldn't be added, seeing that ejected brass bounces and spins, as do dropped guns. To be honest I noticed this inconsistency almost as soon as I started playing Soldat. It's not a big deal but the little things count.

bond_james_bond
August 24, 2005, 4:58 pm
Well put F3nyx

Deleted User
September 15, 2005, 1:14 pm
Also, the belt shuldn't(sorry if misspelled) be like static while its falling it should be like moving without being static,and if is added
MM could make better gibs like intestines

Sorry if english is too bad

September 15, 2005, 2:03 pm
Actually, MP5 shells spin... watch it if u make a length wise shell... ill post it up if ya want

Deleted User
September 15, 2005, 5:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by 117Actually, MP5 shells spin... watch it if u make a length wise shell... ill post it up if ya want

What do you mean the the SHELL spin im talking about the clip

Deleted User
September 15, 2005, 9:26 pm
actually it's the magazine :)

Deleted User
September 16, 2005, 12:09 am
oh... oooooooooooooooooooooooo

kylerlandry
September 16, 2005, 12:23 am
Clip goes inside of the magazine. Thank you mail call.

Deleted User
September 16, 2005, 1:22 am
Its too damn good that program!!! anyways it doesnt spin

Captain Ben
September 16, 2005, 4:14 am
It would be a nice edition, but as said above, you're going to focus more on shooting people, not watching your clip bounce and roll.

Keron Cyst
September 16, 2005, 6:34 pm
Yeah, but still...

Koon
September 17, 2005, 12:22 am
This is just one of the stupid little things that may be implimented within the next few versions if MM is feeling bored and he cant think of anything else to do.

rapterion
September 17, 2005, 3:24 am
Another thing to take into consideration is speed, not that soldat is a heavy system requirements game... but I think it would be better if it stays that way, focus more on game play, and less on pretty graphics... though soldat is pretty... ooo. I still love the way meat piles sometimes dangle from the edges of overhangs.

Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 4:15 am
quote:Originally posted by kylerlandryClip goes inside of the magazine. Thank you mail call.

but you'll see the magazine spin, not the clip

F3nyx
September 18, 2005, 6:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by rapterionAnother thing to take into consideration is speed, not that soldat is a heavy system requirements game... but I think it would be better if it stays that way, focus more on game play, and less on pretty graphics... though soldat is pretty... ooo. I still love the way meat piles sometimes dangle from the edges of overhangs.
This is brought up every time anyone suggests a new feature. Seriously, if the game was made with pure speed in mind Soldat would just display the collision polygons instead of the actual soldier sprites.

Having a spent magazine fall realistically takes maybe 1/20 of the computation power needed to make a corpse ragdoll collapse and tumble, since it's a single rigid body as opposed to something like 10 different rigid bodies all tugging on each other. The effect is already implemented for dropped weapons, but you don't see people complaining about the miniscule performance hit from that. I would estimate the total performance impact of rotating magazines as less than 1%.

rapterion
September 24, 2005, 6:45 am
Actually I was looking at it in a completely logical sense, I mean what is the sense of wasting that 1/20 of the computational power on dropping and spinning something most people dont even look at, my point is, it makes more sense to use that processing time on something more valuable.

Also to note something, 1/20 is alot of computational power, consider the fact that most people have a cpu in the range of 1.0 to 3.0 ghz lets be really ungenerous and say soldat gets like 800mhz of that, I am aware of the fact that it gets much much more, but still. 1/20 of 800mhz is 40 mhz, all for dropping and spinning a clip.

BTW I'm being a sarcastic nit picking pain in the ass here:P So dont get your panties in a bunch.

Also if you actually read my post you'd see this line "not that soldat is a heavy system requirements game", my overriding point in that post was that if we added every last little useless but pretty feature we could possibley randomly pull out of our backsides, soldats requirements would sky rocket.

I think some aesthetic features do certainly help soldat, like the meat piles, however I dont see how having a clip spin and drop and bounce around would improve gameplay, so in my opinion (which is what that post is) the computational effort to draw and move that clip far outways the benefits you would get from it.

Also less then 1% is right, probably somewhere in the range of like 0.001%

F3nyx
September 26, 2005, 2:11 am
As I said -- weapons already spin and tumble, and that's purely aesthetic, but pretty necessary because it looks g0dd4mn stupid to have things falling without rotating. Guns, knives, chainsaws, crates, ragdolls -- even tiny little spent cartridges! -- all rotate. Pretty much every animated object rotates, but not spent clips. This is not a matter of adding new features because they're cool and sparkly, it's a matter of consistency.

As for the computation thing, you might be wasting your effort a bit since I said "1/20 of the computation power needed to make a corpse ragdoll collapse and tumble", rather than 1/20 of total processing power, and I was more or less pulling that number out of my ass anyway.