( search forums )
force weapon name
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
SPARTAN_III
August 20, 2005, 4:32 pm
the most annoying thing is to go into a server, and find out OMGWTFPANDA? AK SHOOTS CLUSTERS??

to counter this, i thought up this idea. basically, it forces clients to temporarily use a certain set of weaponnames for that match.

deciding what these names are would be determined by the entries in an ini file as shown below:

ForceWeaponName0=""
ForceWeaponName1="Explosive Pistols"
ForceWeaponName2=""
ForceWeaponName3=""
ForceWeaponName4=""
ForceWeaponName5=""
ForceWeaponName6=""
ForceWeaponName7=""
ForceWeaponName8=""
ForceWeaponName9=""
ForceWeaponNameSocom=""
ForceWeaponNameKnife=""
ForceWeaponNameChainsaw="Personal Medikit"
ForceWeaponNameLAW=""

A blank field indicates that the client will not be forced to use a weapon name. a filled area (such as the chainsaw and Desert Eagle fields) indicate that any client joining the match will have their "weaponnames.txt" file modified temporarily for the duration of the match, to follow the forced weapon names. these changes will be reverted after the match, or if the client quits.

this would be useful to show Bullet type changes, such as modifying the barret entry to read "Shotgun" to avoid mid-match confusion.

Additional entry from Leo Da Lunerfox:

clients can choose not to accept server names by unchecking an option "accept server weapon names" located in the options or player menu.

Opinions?

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 6:35 pm
Definetily. Great suggestion.

Deleted User
August 20, 2005, 7:28 pm
I see where you are coming from but I see some problems, such as, I like to use my own custom weapons online, and I change the names, now if I'm using my B.A.R for A.K and its named "cluster bombezlolzIrpwn" thats not gunna create a very satisfying atnosphere. What I would be game for though is, you know how soldat gives the weapon stats to the right when you put your mouse over the weapon? Well I think if you created a user friendly version of that it would be better, such as; bigger text, bullet type name instead of a number, better readable stats etc. I think this would be much better, because I can relate to you and this problem. It would be nice to know that the barret has been nerfed into a auto firing law with no reload :p

SPARTAN_III
August 21, 2005, 4:25 am
well, i am putting a certain amount of faith in the admin to use the feature SENSIBLY, and only for indicating weapon usage changes, not flooding the clients with weapon names like "cluster bombezlolzIrpwn"

BTW, you cant make semi-autos into autos.

and i'm not saying that the client(s) will follow every weapon, so if you leave the ForceWeaponName3="" field blank, only YOU will have your AK named "cluster bombezlolzIrpwn"

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 21, 2005, 5:48 am
And also, you can have "Accept Server weapon names" as an option, with its default checked on.

I think its a pretty nifty idea.

Keron Cyst
August 22, 2005, 11:49 pm
That should be a filter, not an option, so you can go searching for higher-quality mods that had more time spent on them (like the Mecha Soldat Mod). *lol* I keep referring to the MSM all the time xD

SPARTAN_III
August 25, 2005, 7:10 pm
filter? i dont really get that, can you explain?

Deleted User
August 26, 2005, 7:22 am
ooh i finealy get this, yeah thats great, im for this all the way

Keron Cyst
August 26, 2005, 4:50 pm
@SPARTAN_III: I was just thinking of putting a filter for servers that change weapon names so you can go hunt for mods that have weapon names other than the original (which, IMO, would be of higher quality than normal, the whole point of the filter system). Actually, now that I think of it Leo Da Lunerfox's idea is better.