( search forums )
Dual monitors
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
bbqchips
August 20, 2005, 8:40 pm
When opening Soldat on a dual monitor system when in windowed mode, it will open with half of the window out of view on the right hand side screen.

Koon
August 20, 2005, 10:07 pm
Who plays soldat in windowed mode?

Deleted User
August 21, 2005, 1:33 am
who playes soldat in a dual moniter system

Vijchtidoodah
August 21, 2005, 1:51 am
FliesLikeABrick does. bbgchips, I would suggest sending him a PM to see if he has any tips.

SPARTAN_III
August 21, 2005, 4:27 am
try fullscreen?

and this should be in the need help? section

_Mancer_
August 21, 2005, 5:28 am
quote:Originally posted by KoonWho plays soldat in windowed mode?

I do.. you mean its weird that I dont play fullscreen?

... I cant STAND fullscreen... actually.. I dont think Ive ever played fullscreen for more than 2 minutes.

FliesLikeABrick
August 21, 2005, 8:02 am
there are a couple ways to remedy this, but i need to know a bit more information about your setup. it is very easy to fix if your video card happens to just be a dual-head nvidia card

Roy
August 21, 2005, 9:19 am
I use windowed mode as well. I just find it easier to play for some reason.

I don't know why you're having a problem, seeing as how you can drag Soldat in windowed mode just like any other program. Click and drag the "Soldat" box in the upper right corner before you join/start a game.

Edit: I noticed that you said the right side is out of view... I guess you'll just have to hunt around off-screen and hope you GET LUCKY. Does it display the rest of Windows normally on your second screen, and it is only Soldat which doesn't show up?

Koon
August 21, 2005, 9:12 pm
I'm sorry but i just cant comprehend what would posses someone to play in windowed mode.

No offense intended to Mancer and Roy.

_Mancer_
August 21, 2005, 10:05 pm
Well uh.. me and roy are both awesome at soldat? And we both rock at ruger?

?

:D

Vijchtidoodah
August 21, 2005, 11:17 pm
Koon, bbgchips is looking for help, not criticism. Go start another thread if you care that much about it. In the meantime, stay out of this one unless you have a solution.

KeFear
August 21, 2005, 11:29 pm
Well, i also play most of the time in windowed mode - and i also use ruger ^^

_Mancer_
August 22, 2005, 12:54 am
quote:Originally posted by KeFearWell, i also play most of the time in windowed mode - and i also use ruger ^^

Ruger windowed soldat users ( [RWSU] ) Unite!

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 2:04 am
quote:Originally posted by KoonWho plays soldat in windowed mode?

Ive been playing in windowed mode since 1.2.0

mooseproduce
August 22, 2005, 12:35 pm
I love windowed Soldat, if for no other reason than that when it crashes(which happens one out of every two days I play it) Windowed mode can be salvaged, whereas Fullscreen takes my entire computer out with it(ergo, it crashes the freakin' computer).

Karaffka
August 22, 2005, 12:42 pm
Try this one: (if you have Windows XP)
- Disable fullscreen in config
- Go to the properties of soldat.exe and make it "Run in in 640x480 resolution"
- Run it

Effect: resolution is changed only if application is started and terminated. It's very comfortable ^^ It runs in windowed mode, in 640x480. Looks like fullscreen, but its much better.

And, you can in this mode switch between soldat and IRC client (alt+tab) without changing the resolution.

Ravey
August 22, 2005, 2:34 pm
That's awesome, Karaffka. Makes all the menus faster too. :D

Karaffka
August 22, 2005, 4:21 pm
Maybe i would create new thread about it? ;>

KeFear
August 22, 2005, 6:41 pm
well, it's the same as fullscreen for me.. so i don't know. i will just stick to windowed mode, or use good'ol fullscreen if i want. at least i can really change to IRC if i want ^^

b00stA
August 22, 2005, 8:56 pm
Will you please stop posting whether windowed or fullscreen mode is better? Someone's looking for help, not opinions.

FliesLikeABrick
August 22, 2005, 9:02 pm
i know i can help him, but the guy who asked the question seems to have disappeared

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 9:07 pm
I need a little help over here. I want to run soldat in windowed mode but the stupid thing refuses to do it. First I get an error that says: Error initializing 3d hardware. Your hardware does not support directx 8. Make sure to install the latest video drivers. Now software will be used... Then I get a second error: Could not initialize directx graphics. You must have installed directx 8 or better. Try turning off extra options like antialising.

I have directx 9.0c, 800mghtz PIII, and a Intel 82815 Graphics Controller.

Antialising is off, and I have tried it with Force Software and Video Compatibility.

The funny thing is, when I started a dedicated server by accident, it opened up in windowed mode and worked perfectly, even when I was mucking around with the options for fun.

Can anybody help me? (I am a ruger user and it looks like all the ruger greats play in windowed. LOL.) Seriously, I need to be able to keep an eye on msn messenger while I am playing.

bbqchips
August 23, 2005, 2:36 am
Whoa, wasn't expecting this long thread

I tried running it with 640*480 compatibility mode as someone mentioned, didn't help tho

I have a dual head radeon 9550, I can still play it was just annoying dragging it into the viewable screen

Thanks for the help everybody :D

FliesLikeABrick
August 23, 2005, 4:30 am
there should be a tool for your card which allows you to have it remember the position of windows on your screen, im not sure if that would work with apps like soldat.. i know that with nvidia cards, you can tell it to remember positions, as well as open applications in the center of a certain screen.

there should be something like this for ATI cards, but i cant say that I've used dual display ATI systems all that much, just my laptop, and even then i don't do anything very complex. If it was an nvidia rig, i'd be able to help you out more as far as the tools that they provide