( search forums )
DM SandValley (2 versions)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Deleted User
August 21, 2005, 1:09 am
I spent about a week working on this map - it consists of a sandy cave/valley area, with 4 supported islands and a variety of elevations.

Bots:yes

Map comes in 2 versions...nighttime and daytime.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Download: http://www.unrealwp.frihost.net/soldat/SandValleyLight.zip

Deleted User
August 21, 2005, 1:49 am
It looks like a desert, with icicles and (i'm presuming) wintery fog? I like it, but it needs some more gradient shading for the ground. And maybe tighten up the theme a little bit. I know deserts can get cold at night, but icicles? Either way I like it as it is. Kinda neat, and its something new. 7/10 without shading, 9/10 with. It'd make a good realistic map.

Deleted User
August 21, 2005, 2:36 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliIt looks like a desert, with icicles and (i'm presuming) wintery fog? I like it, but it needs some more gradient shading for the ground. And maybe tighten up the theme a little bit. I know deserts can get cold at night, but icicles? Either way I like it as it is. Kinda neat, and its something new. 7/10 without shading, 9/10 with. It'd make a good realistic map.

Thanks for your comments :)

It supposed to look like a fairly cold map...I mainly liked the contrast of the icicles, clouds, and fog. I should have taken out the icicles and fog for the daytime version, but oh well.

As for shading, it's so hard to shade realisitcally with the default editor. It's hard to line everything up, considering you can only make one triangle at a time. Is there an easy way to shade things? I heard of the "mapmaker plus" thing...

Any more suggestions/comments on this map? :)

Deleted User
August 21, 2005, 11:36 am
if that's the case then you should change the texture to a different one.. maybe like the one in mr.snowman?

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 12:16 am
Anybody else?

This new map I'm working on will have shading, btw - this map was two messy as far as the polygon layout to even attempt it after it was built :)

Keron Cyst
August 22, 2005, 3:11 am
About the clouds: the cool ones in stuff like inf_Fortress are transparent like yours (I recommend making them all at different levels of transparency, never opaque), but they also are stretched and look more realistic. Use the Scenery Scale Width function. Polygon shading could use some work.

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 3:31 am
Thanks for your input :)

Yea...I hardly had any shading in that last map. This one will though - here's a preview shot :)

[IMAGE]

DeMonIc
August 22, 2005, 10:35 pm
Icicles and desert don't mix. Nor the forest-scenery with the sand texture. Shading is null, that's bad. Try varieting your sceneries and shaaade!

Your new map seems promising though. Just lay off support.bmp.. please.

Keron Cyst
August 22, 2005, 11:40 pm
I just noticed that some of the screenshots have different background colors for the same map. What are the real BG colors?!

About your preview map: BG colors are too bright, and look at the crates in front of your soldat; they're floating...

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 12:20 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI just noticed that some of the screenshots have different background colors for the same map. What are the real BG colors?!

About your preview map: BG colors are too bright, and look at the crates in front of your soldat; they're floating...

Read the first post...there are 2 versions of the map. As clearly stated.

The preview - background is temporary, it's called "preview" for a reason. The boxes aren't floating, either - that's the edge of the texture, which I've changed since posting that screenshot.

Raptor
August 24, 2005, 1:49 am
Cool! Good maps, I like them :D

*Downloads*

Good job!

GAMEOVER
August 24, 2005, 10:50 am
looks good /download

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 3:50 pm
Well actully it looks like the biggest mistake EVER!! =OOO

I don't know if your map got some super-ultra rare GLOWING sand !..or what..

I think like everything gets darker at night...but u know thats sand is really strange cuz it dosen't gets any darker =S

chakapoko maker
August 27, 2005, 2:18 am
it'd be better much to do something on poly. i think it has a good space or relation to the terrain.