( search forums )
[gametype] Push the Ball!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 1:55 am
Well I came up with this when I was drunk last night lol. Anyways - how about a gametype in which there are 2 teams, and a ball (a little bigger than the average player) spawns in the middle of the map. The object of the map is to push the ball into the other team's base by shooting it - while trying not to die from the other team's fire.

As an option, the ball can also have "damage" that is visible by the ball gradually becoming more worn out (different images for each level of damage). When the ball is destroyed, a huge blasts kills everyone on screen, and the ball respawns in the center.

The score limit could be like 3 or something.

Sound fun?

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 5:27 pm
yes it does, but why does it have to kill everyone, why not people near the ball?

sande24
August 22, 2005, 5:35 pm
lol... you can kill the other team and then shoot the ball... or one shoots the ball and others kill... too easy game... and useless...

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 2:17 am
This sounds like a great idea seems like it would be a fun game. The question is can you push it with the character if reloading?

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 8:45 am
Sounds fun.
It wouldn't be too easy, the ball would get hit by stray bullets and probably destroyed.

Football with guns and high explosives.

Zegovia
August 23, 2005, 1:41 pm
Yeah sounds really fun... :D

person
August 23, 2005, 2:31 pm
Hmmm.

I don't know about this idea, but reading it gave me another one...

How about a ball is placed in the center of the map, which can be picked up. The holder can't change weapons or shoot, but can pass the ball to their teammates. So if a guy picks up the ball and sees a teammate, he just presses the fire button and he releases it like a knife throw, only the other player will automatically pick it up if it hits him.

The objective is to get it to the opposing team's flag...

I reckon that'd be fun.

numgun
August 23, 2005, 3:58 pm
sounds like football... but the ball is loaded with explosive gas! NO WAY DUDE!!!

Koon
August 23, 2005, 5:38 pm
Just how drunk were you?

This idea just does not fit in with soldat.

wunderbear
August 23, 2005, 5:57 pm
Good idea, i reckon. Except for the "explosion kills all" bit. I agree with dascoo's idea, only people near the ball.

Also, Person's idea is a good one. :)

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 6:25 pm
Good idea but what if the map has large hills? Will the ball float like a ballon?

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 8:06 pm
I like the "passing the ball" idea--much more feasible and requires much more strategy. Basketball with guns would be quite fun; it reminds me of a NES basketball game where to get the ball from the other team you'd punch them and they'd fall over onto the floor. It rocked.

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 8:20 pm
Hmmm, I like it. *notin more*

aprilninety
August 26, 2005, 10:45 pm
ohh let's play le foot!

the ball could be a durable balloon that floats instead of rolls! that way you can shoot it in the air and make it bounce off walls and stuff.

Keron Cyst
August 26, 2005, 11:58 pm
I like person's American FĂștbol idea; I think it'd be easier to program. Both sound kinda cheap, tho' :-P

UGK
August 27, 2005, 6:13 am
quote:Originally posted by ignitionWell I came up with this when I was drunk last night lol. Anyways - how about a gametype in which there are 2 teams, and a ball (a little bigger than the average player) spawns in the middle of the map. The object of the map is to push the ball into the other team's base by shooting it - while trying not to die from the other team's fire.

As an option, the ball can also have "damage" that is visible by the ball gradually becoming more worn out (different images for each level of damage). When the ball is destroyed, a huge blasts kills everyone on screen, and the ball respawns in the center.

The score limit could be like 3 or something.

Sound fun?

its called soccer....

Boxo
August 27, 2005, 1:19 pm
Actually, there already is a gamemode a little like this. It's called "soldat soccer". You play it in special map with a medikit as the ball. It only works on LAN, though.

Denacke
August 27, 2005, 1:25 pm
You could make it more easy to be programmed in soldat when stated like this:

Two teams; Alpha (red) and Bravo (blue).

Let's take map B2b as an example.

There are three flags in the map. The red one, being where it always has been on B2b, same goes for the blue one. And the yellow flag shall be in the middle.

As some mentioned above, It is now a matter of getting this yellow flag, and get it to the opposing teams flag pit. After a score is made, everyone dies and a new round begins. Scoring in your own flag will result in a score for the opposite team.

This way you can also throw ("pass") the flag to your teammates and so on.

Well sounds like an interesting game mode imo :)

Captain Ben
August 27, 2005, 4:31 pm
Lol, did anyone ever play that ball game in Tekken... 2, 3 or 4?
If you hit the ball hard enough, it should be able to hurt, or even kill your opponent.

rabidhamster
August 27, 2005, 6:35 pm
i like the original idea the most. person's would require too much strategy, and soldat is an action game. as long as there would be, say, 4 balls (all of which could be visually moddable in \textures\objects).

as for going up hills, how about each of the four balls act differently, ex. the giant football (soccer ball in some countries) would be for very flat maps, while the beach ball would be frequently used on maps with hills.

if you look carefully at the medikits, you'll notice that when shot hard enough, the side that was shot will bend in slightly. what if certain balls could do this, eh? it would make the beach ball a lot more realistic, wouldn't it?

CrapBomba
August 30, 2005, 2:10 am
This is a great idea but you should also be able to push it by walking into it, and if it comes really fast toward you you get flattened, a good way to dispose of enemies :p
And instead of the ball getting weaker, the ball should just slowly get bigger the more it rolls, so it gets harder to push and gains more momentem, making it harder to control. Heck, maybe people could even get IN the ball to roll it >_<