( search forums )
should people be offended?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
tRaQs
August 22, 2005, 8:00 pm
I like putting in joke names (eg. you were killed by yourself, except not that stupid)

So I got killed in a deathmatch by this guy called "christ" and thought to myself "The power of christ".

That's when I thought of the name, I told someone I know about it, and he used it. He said people would find it offensive, which I can't seem to grasp, The whole JOKE of being killed by "The Power Of Christ" Is he's supposed to be a high moral figure of authority, and out of nowhere, you're being capped by him, which is completely out of context, and that's what's funny, you're not expecting to see that the power of christ killed you.

I hoped I typed this clearly enough, what do you guys think?

Zero72
August 22, 2005, 8:02 pm
Most Christians will almost certainly find that offensive, I'm afraid. =P

.alex.oner.
August 22, 2005, 8:07 pm
most people dont find them funny, and the certainly arent original, most people look at others with those names and think they are just lame and stupid..

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 8:10 pm
I'm Christian, who cares. You can make your name "(Please refrain from swearing) killed jebus" and it wouldn't affect me. People need to stop taking online games so seriously. If you get kicked just for your name, it's pretty sad that some people are offended by text.

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 10:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by Zero72Most Christians will almost certainly find that offensive, I'm afraid. =P and i will kill all christians and then skullfouk them mva hahahhahahahah

wow thats evil

quote:originally posted by zamboPeople need to stop taking online games so seriously. If you get kicked just for your name, it's pretty sad that some people are offended by text.

good point ppl take names and jokes way to seriously

TheRelinquished
August 22, 2005, 10:57 pm
En masse, you'll find that no one minds. If anyone is a big enough prude to be offended by that, then let them sit in a puddle of their own piss and vinegar, and ignore them. Honestly, I think that would be a funny name. But I'm a heathenistic, sarcastic bast*rd (I can't believe that's censored). So who cares what I think....?

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 11:16 pm
I don't think u should offeend him because he's christian (iam not christian) it just seems like a bad idea dude who knows he might have some type of hack that tells u where the ppl that r playing live and he could go to ur house and kill u scary!

Keron Cyst
August 22, 2005, 11:57 pm
black kid, you're too paranoid :-P

Being a Christian I'd probably be offended by it but then again it's my own fault for playing such a violent, non-Christian game so I'd just ignore it xD

solohan50
August 23, 2005, 12:21 am
i think that if you're so religious that you can't take a joke like that, then you're certainly missing out on a lot of life. i've thought about putting an "Agnostic Freak" sticker on my car to counter all the "(Please refrain from swearing) Freak" stickers that are out there.....

Pixofied
August 23, 2005, 12:25 am
quote:Most Christians will almost certainly find that offensive, I'm afraid. =P
Dude, apparently i'm Christian. I say (Please refrain from swearing), (Please refrain from swearing) and bugger all day long... Could care less what anyone does with themselves, or my inherited beliefs. I don't pray, or goto church, nothing "Christians" are supposed to do... I live life, do what I want. XD

--
Ya, all you who oppse me, shall be smited!

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 12:30 am
Lol, I'm a christian, and my youth group threw a wet t-shirt party..
Yea, that's sure to offend me..
Just like saying "ZOMG (Please refrain from swearing)" will make me shout out a bible verse

Maxx
August 23, 2005, 12:54 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst
Being a Christian I'd probably be offended by it but then again it's my own fault for playing such a violent, non-Christian game so I'd just ignore it xD
Actually, I don't care what those "killed by YuR MAmA" jokes say anymore, they're just frikin' annoying.

Aquarius
August 23, 2005, 1:03 am
You can't be offended by "The power of christ", if you know a guy named "(Please refrain from swearing)' Vagina".

VodkaZombie
August 23, 2005, 1:22 am
Amazing, i'd say the person would get offended in real life. "Hey dude, you just got killed by the power of christ". *PLOP*

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 1:29 am
BOOM GOSPEL.

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 1:54 am
Meh, who cares about the bible. God didn't write it anyway. I can confidently say this: God, (Please refrain from swearing) you. See? He knows I'm just kidding. Christian elitests are hypocrites for the most part also.

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 2:09 am
Heh, for my LA class, I am going to read the bible. I wrote "The bible, by (Please refrain from swearing)"

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 2:16 am
Thats not an offensive name to me and im Christian, in fact its a good name if you ask me :)

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 2:36 am
Names like that are funny to me. I sometimes run around as "8 Million Jews". I'm sure it gives people a laugh when they kill me occasionally.

wormdundee
August 23, 2005, 3:11 am
Sure, doesn't offend me in the slightest, it's a joke, so really, there would be absolutely no reason to be offended.

I'm sure (Please refrain from swearing) would enjoy a good joke, I think he was a pretty humorous guy.

Maxx
August 23, 2005, 3:12 am
quote:Originally posted by AquariusYou can't be offended by "The power of christ", if you know a guy named "(Please refrain from swearing)' Vagina".
Yeah, nothing's really phased me after that.
:P

AerialAssault
August 23, 2005, 5:13 am
any names that make the kill message acually say something (yourself, your mom, your (Please refrain from swearing) uncle) are lame, unoriginal, and just stupid.

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 7:54 am
One in a thousand people will find it offensive and fight you about it.
My name being Gen0cide,I've only had ONE person EVER complain.He complained and lamed the whole match,which was about two hours.Ask MAXX About that one.

a-4-year-old
August 23, 2005, 4:16 pm
am i lame? sometimes its fun to run around as kenny or some ho' or yo mama or a-2-year-old-crack-addict. i don't think anyone playing soldat would be offended by that.

mickle89
August 23, 2005, 4:24 pm
Someone made a topic about "new to soldat" or something not too long ago talking about names and i agree.
-These "you killed..." names are lame, confusing and old.
-So are people with blank space or no name as a name (ie. " ")
-And names with slayer, hell, death, soul sniper and others are also crap. (eg. SoulSniper, DragonSlayer, DeathBringer, HellWand)

STOP THESE LAME OLD CRAP NAMES!!

Darkfist007
August 23, 2005, 5:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Zero72Most Christians will almost certainly find that offensive, I'm afraid. =P

Thats because most of those whining christians are the idiot ones that have no life other then with there imaginary friends.

tRaQs
August 23, 2005, 6:04 pm
But I just found it funny when I thought of it, especially the fact that the person who uses it snipes, so your walking along, and then BAM! you have been kill by The Power Of Christ, and you didn't see who killed ya, it would be actually a funny trick to play on a noob, mess with their heads a little.

And as for these killed by your neighbour, killed by your dog names, yeah, those suck, same with dragon slayer and stuff like that, but the name i made up is quite witty imo.

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 7:45 pm
I figured there'd be a bajillion "Yo Mamma"s and stuff out there when I was coming up with a name for my first profile... And so "Yo Mamma's Mamma" was born.

As for people getting offended, you have to remember that the "silent majority" does not pertain only to Vietnam. I'm Christian, and there was this kid in my Prob/Stat class last year who not only looked like (Please refrain from swearing), but was born on Christmas Day... So we called him (Please refrain from swearing). No offense there.
No need to fear the power of stupid people in large numbers--it's the power of stupid people with loud voices you have to look out for.