ARGH! PING KICK MUST DIE!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
NightCabbage
February 13, 2003, 12:21 pm
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok... breathe....

ah.... much better...

ok, here's the deal:
I just got 1.1.2 tonight and I joined a server...
I got ping kicked...
then i joined another server...
I got ping kicked...

so then I joined another server...
I GOT PING KICKED!!!

starting to see a pattern here?!?!?

breathe...

ok...

One of the servers I had a ping of 366 (at the MAX)
How the hell did I get ping kicked from that I ask you!?!?!?!!?

PING KICK MUST BE REMOVED!!!
IT IS.... erm... VERY BAD!!! yes thats it very bad...

Michal, this is a plea!

PLEASE REMOVE PING KICK!
It is evil!
I was just playing happily with my 366 ping and then BAM! for no apparent reason!

Hey, Abortion, you know that Infiltration game I joined just before? I got ping kicked from that!
Playing for a few minutes they were, and then i got the first flag capture for the red team and then BAM! ping kicked!

Obviously my ping was not causing a problem in the game (a high ping never does!!!!!!!!!!) hell I got the first score and the most kills and then argh...

Sorry this has turned into a rant... I will stop and spare you from any more ramblings... lol

But the point is - PING DOESNT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS
unless a players hangs a lot, but that just crap and doesnt have much to do with ping (unless its over 1000)

So I hope that Ping Kick gets removed...
I have talked to heaps of people and most (all but 2...) say that ping kick sucks!

Please remove it really quickly!

*End rant here*

NightCabbage

(Moved to Server Corps forum - DNA.styx)

Onyros
February 13, 2003, 12:27 pm
Unfortunately, that's what you get from being from, say... Tasmania, or like... Portugal LOL (considering Portugal's GMT, and Tasmania's 12 hours later, or so).
I also get ping kicked a lot, I'd approve of any measure to stop it.

NightCabbage
February 13, 2003, 12:37 pm
So you do agree that it should be... removed *puts little finger up to mouth* :)

Good! :)
Thats ANOTHER person to agree...

But seriously, it is a major problem

I was just in a server then.

And I had a sub 400 ping.

I watched as 2 people with average pings (around 500) got ping kicked...
Then sure enough so did I!

It's wrong!
I am being denied the right to play Soldat for no reason at all!

Like I said earlier, having a high ping doesnt really matter!
Its a lot harder to play with a high ping, but it doesnt affect anyone else much.

Please listen to the people (of which the majority - and by a long shot too) all agree that it should be removed!

NightCabbage

Abortion
February 13, 2003, 4:46 pm
Yeah I seen you get pingkicked from the game and could only imagine the cursing that followed. People should up the ping limit in their servers, or it should be removed all together. It's definitely a crappy 'feature'.

Just played afew ctf maps... about 80% of people joining were ping kicked after a minute or so.

illicyx
February 13, 2003, 7:56 pm
Ping doesn't matter? PING DOESN'T MATTER? Why are you even allowed to touch a computer!

DNA.styx
February 13, 2003, 10:18 pm
The ping kick feature is set by the server admin, if you don't like the way they run their server either contact them, or head to another server...vote with your feet, admins will start wondering why they server's never used...

snappy10
February 14, 2003, 1:38 am
night i saw u in my server and it was set to 500 ping kick and u got kicked thats a reasonable ammount 500

mateenjahanmiry
February 14, 2003, 3:26 am
EVERYONE PLEASE START PUTTING UP SERVERS WHERE THE MAX PING IS NOT 300 OR 400, I HAVE A SUPERFAST DSL CONNECTION, I HAD 250 AND WAS F'ING PING [:-censored]TED FROM THAT DAMN SERVER. I say there should be a few constant servers up for people who always get ping kicked, I usually don't but I hate it when it happens. For a patch I would consider the following:

-Less security for the Anti Cheat System
-No Ping Kick or at least not such low ping settings for a server (maximum should be set at 450 in my opinion)

Also, can you continuously throw grenades at one push of a button in this new version, because for some reason, it wont' let me do it sometimes. I have to press, let go, press again, let go, and you get the pattern, it gets pretty annoying, so please tell me if it's just me or is the new version like that?!

NightCabbage
February 14, 2003, 6:56 am
Well, im still heading up the "anti ping-kick" movement :)

illicyx - ok then :) what do you think ping is and does? hmm?
Ping is the amount of time it takes to send packets of data to (and from) the server (for Soldat...) For me and my bad lag, a high ping means that I have to shoot where the person will be in about half a second (sometime up to a second)
As you will note, this is not easy to do :) and thus whenever i kill someone, it is a very happy moment! lol
and seeing as though even with my crappy ping i win most of the games i play welll... lots of happy moments...

but to the rest of the players, unless the laggy player is actually hanging, then it shouldnt bother them too much...

lots of you people have played me right?
have i EVER caused a single problem in a game of Soldat?

no...

So that brings me back to my point, ping doesnt matter...

mateenjahanmiry - yes, the anti-cheat is a bit tight at the moment and it also creates large amounts of lag... (at least im assumming thats the cause of the extra lag...)

and the grenade key holding down has actually been *fixed* lol
it stops people spamming out grenades all the time and limits their power a bit

good overall

snappy10 - If your server is the one i think it is then i had a ping about 300ish and you'll not that that is LESS THAN 500 lol

one of the problems is that Soldat kicks you if your ping ever goes over the ping limit...
so in a game with a ping limit of 500 even some people with rather small pings will get kicked anyway...

And I think that there would be more people playing Soldat with high pings than there are people with low pings, wouldn't you say?
And so OBVIOUSLY ping kick was always going to not suit Soldat (a game some people play because it requires a slower connection than others)

So it should be removed!

Thx for the backup Abortion :)

I would agree that about %80 of people that join a server with a ping kick of 500 would get kicked

thats just not right!

NightCabbage

enjoyincubus
February 15, 2003, 3:05 pm
I happen to know a lot of people here and know where they are located, what their server names are, etc. So I can play with my friends and never get ping kicked. Go to a server, find out who the admin is and his location, and you can see if you should really be playing there or not. Ping kick makes sense, because without it people all around the world with play on the same server and lag heavily. I, of course, am speaking from the tongue of a cable modem user. I never had the "priveledge" of being thrown from a server, since ping kick came in after I went to cable.

CJ

Abortion
February 15, 2003, 9:01 pm
But are lag spikes ignored? Say I have 200 ping and quickly it jumps to 1000 for a split second, will I get banned?

ada89
February 16, 2003, 1:23 am
quote:Originally posted by Abortion
But are lag spikes ignored? Say I have 200 ping and quickly it jumps to 1000 for a split second, will I get banned?

no....

NightCabbage
February 16, 2003, 9:00 am
Actually that's pretty much one of my problems...
On a server with ping kick limit of 500 I had a solid ping of 366
I was monitoring it carefully (waiting...) and then BAM kicked.
So it seems to ping kick even on spikes at least sometimes.

NightCabbage

Exile
February 18, 2003, 11:12 pm
I don't like the ping kick either. I wish it would ping the client, decide whether ping < limit = allow or ping > limit = deny. People, especially with modems, will constantly have varying pings while in the game so people are contstantly getting kicked off the servers.

My servers happen to be in Chile but whenever I register them, they are immediately flooded with "loco gringos" who feel that playing with 300+ ms pings is cool. The local players complain since the gringos have taken up all the slots!

So, I add the Max Ping and now I'm flooded with complaints about being banned from the server becuase a sister checked her e-mail over the ICS conection..

If I kill max-ping, I have to un register the servers which means I lose support for ASE.

NightCabbage
February 20, 2003, 6:58 am
Well, 300 ping is actually quite very playable with...
700+ isnt very good however...
but 500 is alright sometimes

NightCabbage

bonkas
February 20, 2003, 7:07 am
I think i know what is happening but i am no computer techie or anything so i could be wrong but.. i am on 56k and i usually get a ping of 150-300 and it runs fine untill a little into the game my ping just gets really bad.. and i get connection errors.. but i only get connection errors on a high ping server so this may be what is happening to you guys.. your ping may be jumping up really high without you knowing..

NightCabbage
February 20, 2003, 7:20 am
i watch my ping a lot

a LOT :)

NightCabbage

sanity
February 20, 2003, 8:07 am
NC: cool... can i watch it too? :P

NightCabbage
February 20, 2003, 11:59 am
oh, i dont know about that sanity, the excitement might cause you your heart to explode...

NightCabbage

racecardude
February 21, 2003, 2:32 am
lol um... ping kicks... um well if a server has a bad ping, and a low ping kick if [:-censored]s everything up, sometimes it wont even let you join lol if you have a bad ping, and host a server its stupid if the ping kick is low

NightCabbage
February 21, 2003, 3:24 am
Ping kick is just generally all round stupid :(

NightCabbage

racecardude
February 21, 2003, 3:56 am
no its usefull when there are alot of laggers around

Exile
February 21, 2003, 4:43 am
Most of the players here have pings of 10 to 25 ms to my servers.. and do they EVER bitch when someone logs on with 200+ ms. "Wah!", they cry and moan, "he's lagging me!"

The point with my servers is that anyone with a ping of 300ms logs in, he's either from a different continent or really needs to call his ISP's tech support hotline.

dedicated lines ping <1 ms to me
aDSL and Cable ping 10 to 25 ms
56K modems ping between 80 and 150 ms

Anyone with 300 ms is over 3000 miles away and chewing up my VERY expensive international bandwidth so I would really love to block them from the server.

I save b/w, the locals get to play and the gringos don't moan about laggy 300+ ms pings. Everybody wins if I can set the server to reject >300 ms.

Exile
February 21, 2003, 4:57 am
Just read my posts and decided I wasn't clear enough.

What I would like is a modification of ping kick:

- when a client logs in, the server pings him and decides if his ping is below the limit or not.

Just make the ping check active during the log in stage not while he is actually inside the server and subject to spikes. Even over my 100 Mbps LAN, I get conection problems at times in a full server!

telequao
February 23, 2003, 6:50 am
whenever I run a server, it's usually not a dedicated server, because since you can't specatate when your a server, (well u may be able to join your own server, but depending on your comp's speed, it may slow u down some, and I think it may cause connection problems for u while your playing?)...So anyways I always start a non-dedicated server with 4-6 people max...and kick pings over 450..u think thats harsh? I'm in the USA..and I don't have a gigahertz processor or anything..just a regular pentium III 550mhz..not too much ram...but anyways I don't need people zipping and "smearing" all over the place making it hard to hit them because they're lagging so much...and if it unjustly kicks some people then I restart the server at the next map change and change it to 550...anything over 550 on my servers is UNNACEPTABLE especially since it's only 4-6 ppl playing. if u dont like policies of certain servers, nobody is begging you to stay. find another server.

;)

sanity
February 23, 2003, 1:40 pm
i can only connect to two servers coz of ping kick... both of them in aus (one of which is never bloody online lol).

choco
February 24, 2003, 12:12 pm
yes i also h8 the ping kick and i think the server style should be changed i used to play this one game (and still do) called axis arena and in mutiplayer when someone lagged they can just sit there and get shot simple but there are almost no laggers at all in axis even though im around 300 000 km away from the ppl im playing. so i agree ping kick should be removed and lagger freeze added :D(so the others dont get lgged out to bad)and with high pings i play sof2 alot and have a ping of around 300 too 400 runs perfectly smooth like single player 999 ping is a problem but 300-600 is ok ppl if your gonna keep ping kick set it at 800 and also with soldat type only the servers could lag so players cant be blamed only the hosts ppl i think this could help mutiplayer alot :D

JayBDey
February 25, 2003, 5:27 am
quote:Originally posted by NightCabbage
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok... breathe....

ah.... much better...

ok, here's the deal:
I just got 1.1.2 tonight and I joined a server...
I got ping kicked...
then i joined another server...
I got ping kicked...

so then I joined another server...
I GOT PING KICKED!!!

starting to see a pattern here?!?!?

breathe...

ok...

One of the servers I had a ping of 366 (at the MAX)
How the hell did I get ping kicked from that I ask you!?!?!?!!?

PING KICK MUST BE REMOVED!!!
IT IS.... erm... VERY BAD!!! yes thats it very bad...

Michal, this is a plea!

PLEASE REMOVE PING KICK!
It is evil!
I was just playing happily with my 366 ping and then BAM! for no apparent reason!

Hey, Abortion, you know that Infiltration game I joined just before? I got ping kicked from that!
Playing for a few minutes they were, and then i got the first flag capture for the red team and then BAM! ping kicked!

Obviously my ping was not causing a problem in the game (a high ping never does!!!!!!!!!!) hell I got the first score and the most kills and then argh...

Sorry this has turned into a rant... I will stop and spare you from any more ramblings... lol

But the point is - PING DOESNT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS
unless a players hangs a lot, but that just crap and doesnt have much to do with ping (unless its over 1000)

So I hope that Ping Kick gets removed...
I have talked to heaps of people and most (all but 2...) say that ping kick sucks!

Please remove it really quickly!

*End rant here*

NightCabbage

(Moved to Server Corps forum - DNA.styx)

first, I will send you to this cartoon

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-10-11&res=l

Then maybe your conn. is bad and you got kicked because you lagged?

toadsMoke
February 25, 2003, 5:47 am
lag is a very odd thing... personally, i think that ping kick is quite a good idea. i'm not going to pretend i understand how this works, but after playing online games ever since i got a 14400 baud modem a good 8-10 years ago, i've noticed a relationship between ping, packet loss (aka PL) and general server lag. here's how i see things:

low ping + low packet loss = smooth playing without much compensation; every packet will come through, just a few (50-150) milliseconds behind when it actually happens server-side

low ping + high packet loss = choppy playing without much need for compensation; few packets will come through, giving the a low FPS count feel and look

high ping + low packet loss = smooth playing with a lot of compensation; every packet will come through, just a long time (150-300 milliseconds) after it actually happens server-side

[*]high ping + high packet loss = choppy playing with a ton of compensation; few packets will come through, giving the a low FPS count feel and look, but very difficult to tell where someone actually is. In this situation, with high ping and PL, not only the client lags, but the server also lags. i believe the occurs because the server may be putting more resources into finding the lost packets... i don't know, but this is just a general trend i've noticed.

if i'm wrong, tell me. but if this is true [and i believe it is] ping kick is a very good idea.

Exile
February 25, 2003, 6:02 am
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-10-11&res=l

LOL!!! I still remember trying to breathe due to laughing so hard when I first saw that one :-)

NightCabbage
February 25, 2003, 8:06 am
Ping-Kick still has to die though...

NightCabbage