( search forums )
DM DesertWind - FINAL \o/
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
grand_diablo
August 24, 2005, 4:58 pm
My first multitextured map... and guess what: It was not done in PolyWorks (which has superior features but ill start using it once the interface becomes a lil less complicated), but in MM+. 3 standard textures were merged to one, to build a beautiful little desert landscape, including some new custom sceneries.

DesertWind is ready for all DM modes including Flag- Team- and Rambomatch.

You can walk through the lowest part of the right bridge, thats why it is a bit darker.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Waypoints added, just redownload.
EDIT2: Last spawnpoint changes to make the upper part more useful - Map is now final.

Download:
http://www.denacke.net/Dibo/maps/DesertWind.zip

Map only:
only if you have the first release incl. texture & sceneries already
http://www.denacke.net/Dibo/maps/DesertWind.PMS

Screen:
[IMAGE]

Thanks for explaining how to do multiple textures, Anna. <3

Deleted User
August 24, 2005, 5:06 pm
o:

You finally made a map other than Glowing Dawn that I like! Good job.

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 24, 2005, 5:35 pm
I tried it also on MM+ with the same method, and yeah, it turns out fine too.

Good map btw, how long did it take you to build the map?

cooz
August 24, 2005, 5:41 pm
good map, but Spyder wont be happy with texture size(384x128) old graphic card noob xP

quote:Originally posted by grand_diablo(...)PolyWorks (which has superior features but ill start using it once the interface becomes a lil less complicated)

maybe ill never start to use it, couse its not so complicated as ure trying to verdict.

grand_diablo
August 24, 2005, 5:48 pm
I did a quick gameplay update, please redownload.

Michal
August 24, 2005, 6:04 pm
Looks nice, I think the layout is good for classic deathmatch gameplay.
As for aesthetics, I think the edge for the texture is too light, it makes the edges look white. And in some areas the texture looks too compressed and it gives an odd effect when the screen pans.
But otherwise it looks really good, multitextures is awesome :0

grand_diablo
August 24, 2005, 8:25 pm
Heh, I got to practice that multitexturing a bit more with MM+, then ittl work better :P

The Geologist
August 24, 2005, 8:39 pm
I soooo need to learn to multi texture :(

Beautiful map GD, I love the desert sand feel of it. Very true to life imo. Looks like a fun lil DM shootingfest. More comments forthcoming after download.

Keron Cyst
August 24, 2005, 9:07 pm
The sand looks kind of stretched vertically, don't you think? I love the scenery & basic layout tho'.

grand_diablo
August 24, 2005, 9:19 pm
You may hate me for having to redownload again, but Ive added waypoints and made the big left boulder under the right bridge a bit more beautiful.

papasurf31
August 24, 2005, 9:34 pm
Very nice. Love the layout and the style. Very easy to see the desert theme. <3 the rbidges. Great map, should be default.

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 12:00 am
Go go go, make this default.

*Goes and tries to imitate mulit-texturing... ;_;

EDIT: @cooz: I did check out the gameplay - nice and fastpaced, hardcore action.

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 12:48 am
The map looks nice...but doesn't do so well in gameplay.

Only about a third of the map is actually being used - those very top bridges, and the middle layer, for the most part, are completely useless. The top bridges are the most pointless though. NO action ever goes on up there, because there is no reason to go up there. No powerups at all - not even a medkit - and there's no reason to go up there to "hide" either because bullets can go right through the bridges. If you want some real action going on up there, put something like a berserker powerup on the bridges or at least have some spawn points up there. Right now it's just decoration.

The middle area isn't that useful either - its main point is to provide a spawning place from which bots and players can jump down into the bottom layer and join the fray. Once again...maybe take some med-kits off the sand layer at the bottom and spread them between the middle and top layers. That would at least prove for some more wide-spread action.

cooz
August 25, 2005, 12:58 am
um, its little wierd that ppl want make map default, just after one look on overview :S
iven if it looks good maybe u could check gameplay first? :b

mar77a
August 25, 2005, 1:06 am
The light effect in the middle is awesome...

Keron Cyst
August 25, 2005, 1:51 am
quote:Originally posted by grand_diabloYou may hate me for having to redownload again...

Fine. Tell us when the final version's out :-P

grand_diablo
August 25, 2005, 2:04 am
This one is considered final.

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 2:17 am
quote:Originally posted by coozum, its little wierd that ppl want make map default, just after one look on overview :S
iven if it looks good maybe u could check gameplay first? :b

I agree...don't know why this map is being hailed as a perfect map ...suitable for default... when the map is pretty much just a tiny, curvy line at the very bottom of the map (that's where all the gameplay happens at least.)

What's the point of writing constructive criticism if it's not even taken into account :/

grand_diablo
August 25, 2005, 3:00 am
Tbh I read cooz' comment, but it only said "take care of the gameplay", there was no suggestion on how to improve this map.

well, since being on a higher position on a map is usually advantageous, most helpspawns (medicrates, nades) were placed on the lower ways. same with the spawns, 2 are on the upper plattforms, 3 lower side, so no one gets an ultimate advantage when spawning. Maybe I should place one or another medispawn somewhere on top, we'll see.

I dont think that most gameplay will ultimately take place on the ground, only if you play with bots, cause they arent very good in flying upwards. It should be tested with some ppl to see if the concept works the way I wanted it to, or not.

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 3:10 am
Players or bot's - it doesn't matter.

It's just pointless to go uptop. I'm not saying anything bad about your map, the visuals are great, I'm just saying that a couple 30 second modifications to the spawn points could make it way more fun.

grand_diablo
August 25, 2005, 3:18 am
see main posting :P

map is now finally final, I hope the upper part is more useful now ;)

N1nj@
August 25, 2005, 4:03 am
quote:Originally posted by coozgood map, but Spyder wont be happy with texture size(384x128) old graphic card noob xPI can see the map just fine, thank you. I only have problem when the sceneries are bigger than 256x256. And my graphic card rocks :D

anyway, good job on the multi-texture. nice map.

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 4:13 am
Now I actually have a reason to go up top...and the bots occasionally follow me up there. Thanks - nice additions :)

GAMEOVER
August 25, 2005, 1:35 pm
I like it alot simple but looks good nice dm map.

Nos-D
August 25, 2005, 5:21 pm
WOW, that is one of the best map i saw :O.
You make CTF Maps either?

chakapoko maker
August 27, 2005, 2:14 am
yeah great one ;D of both look and gameplay. the new texture method fits naturally and i love the stone on the sand. scenery is good too. one thing i want is a collider on the downer right to nade jump, though it's just my liking of gameplay. aynway it's gold.

Raptor
August 27, 2005, 7:08 pm
This map is pretty awesome, I like it, but you stretched the textures too much x_x

GAMEOVER
August 28, 2005, 7:21 am
bad ass.

I would have added just a little tunnel in the center (to where itd make the middle sand dune look like an oval) <3 it though.