( search forums )
Google Instant Messenging?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Elephant_Hunter
August 24, 2005, 5:42 pm
"Don't be evil..."

I haven't tested it out much myself, but around midnight this morning Google released it's new instant messenger (aptly named "Google Talk".) It's installed on my PC now and very sleek looking. No ads whatsoever. Plus it uses the opensource Jabber protocol. Can't go wrong here.

As long as you have a Gmail account you can use Google Talk. If you don't want to use the client provided then the site has instructions for Gaim (my personal favourite), Trillian, iChat and a couple others.

Download Site: http://www.google.com/talk/

Is anybody thinking about switching? Do you already use gmail regularly?

LazehBoi
August 24, 2005, 5:58 pm
I use GAIM, so I might as well use GIM for the hell of it.

Deleted User
August 24, 2005, 5:58 pm
Sounds awesome to me.

Aquarius
August 24, 2005, 6:03 pm
It sucks. Lately everything Google touches turns into crap. New Google Groups, Desktop Search, even GMail. All crap. Only Googgle Maps are cool, though useless.

quote:"Don't be evil..."
Ha ha ha! Don't tell me you believe in this. It's only a "visage" they created for purely marketing purposes.

cooz
August 24, 2005, 6:04 pm
jabber jabber jabber! and also compatible with XMPP <3

i use it already just on other server - /me waitting for s2s...

Denacke
August 24, 2005, 6:31 pm
I'm no fan of google anymore.

Elephant_Hunter
August 24, 2005, 8:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by AquariusIt sucks. Lately everything Google touches turns into crap. New Google Groups, Desktop Search, even GMail. All crap. Only Googgle Maps are cool, though useless.

Ha ha ha! Don't tell me you believe in this. It's only a "visage" they created for purely marketing purposes.

Aquarius, you know better than to post crap like that. Give me reasons. Valid ones. You of ALL people realize the importance of this.

Here's an example for the dim-witted: GMail is one of the best free internet-based mail services available because it gives the user over two gigs of space. That's more than Yahoo and Hotmail combined. It has pop3 access (can't say that for hotmail) and a unique user interface with many features. Read this review and compare for yourself (I'm already using 83megs for email, so Fastmail is not an option for me.)

I just found that "Don't be evil" was their motto today after reading it up on Slashdot. Personally I judge by actions, not mottos, but in this case I think it's appropriate to say Google has well exceeded it's dedication to the opensource community by using the Jabber protocol. If they were seriously out to -kill- msn and make money off the IM client, they would have kept all the inner-workings under wraps and used adsense with the messenger.

Edit: For the longest time I've been thinking about completely switching to Jabber. I'm sick of buggy and slow IM programs and the huge arrangement of protocols I sign online with. This makes things easier for people like me. It gives the public a chance to see the good opensource can do... even if they don't know it.

_Mancer_
August 24, 2005, 8:16 pm
(Please refrain from swearing)IM l0l

b00stA
August 24, 2005, 8:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by AquariusIt sucks. Lately everything Google touches turns into crap. New Google Groups, Desktop Search, even GMail. All crap. Only Googgle Maps are cool, though useless.

How dare they provide free software/services that you don't have to use?

?
August 24, 2005, 8:32 pm
/me hugs Google

SuperKill
August 24, 2005, 8:37 pm
hurray for pointless arguements.

anyway, google is slowly taking over the world.
WATCH OUT I SAY

Deleted User
August 24, 2005, 8:59 pm
Its a pretty dandy program..I might start using is as a messenger for my soldat contacts (and keep using MSN for my friends).

ráz0r
August 24, 2005, 9:16 pm
Yeah sk, one day an instand messenger and searching stuff website then the next day, USA is renamed to google and they declare war on (Please refrain from swearing)s.

Aquarius
August 24, 2005, 9:51 pm
"Don't mess with Google" or "Serious privacy concerns"

quote:Googlers sure are an irritable bunch when they're not fed well. Seems the company, which is searching for a pair of chefs to keep in it organic wood-fired pizzas, blacklisted News.com after it published some personal information about CEO Eric Schmidt in an article concerning privacy issues raised by the Google search engine.

"Google CEO Eric Schmidt doesn't reveal much about himself on his home page," News.com reporter Elinor Mills wrote in the article that raised Google's ire. "But spending 30 minutes on the Google search engine lets one discover that Schmidt, 50, was worth an estimated $1.5 billion last year. Earlier this year, he pulled in almost $90 million from sales of Google stock and made at least another $50 million selling shares in the past two months as the stock leaped to more than $300 a share. He and his wife, Wendy, live in the affluent town of Atherton, Calif., where, at a $10,000-a-plate political fund-raiser five years ago, presidential candidate Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, danced as Elton John belted out 'Bennie and the Jets.' "

The information revealed in Mills' article was all obtained via Google searches, but the irony was lost on Google, which, according to News.com, promptly instituted a policy of not talking with its reporters until July 2006. Pretty astonishing move for a company whose mission is to "organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.
http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/08/googlers_sure_a.html

Wow, "Everything is OK, as long as you say good things about us. Otherwise you will be left out." That's Google. It's only an example, there is more evil moves of Google, the "Don't be evil..." company.

Kazuki
August 24, 2005, 9:59 pm
But of course you don't pay attention to all the things that are writting about Opera. :)

Anyway, the messenger is pretty sweet. Small and compact, gets the job done, and has a nifty Call feature which allows you to talk with the person you're chatting with using microphones. The feature is free, too. :D

There are some minor "niggles," as Chakra would say, with it, but other than that the messenger is in the early stages of greatness. Once the features start comming, it'll get pretty popular. At least, that's my opinion.

karmazon
August 24, 2005, 10:22 pm
gonna check it out, i love google

Elephant_Hunter
August 24, 2005, 11:56 pm
Aquarius... did you read that article yourself? or are you just posting somebody else's opinion?

The article gives his place of residence, information about his wife, his salary, ect... Google values people's privacy. If you ask to have personal information taken off, they will do it. I've asked before.

AerialAssault
August 25, 2005, 12:12 am
quote:Originally posted by SuperKillhurray for pointless arguements.

anyway, google is slowly taking over the world.
WATCH OUT I SAY
thats bad?

Aquarius
August 25, 2005, 12:17 am
quote:Google values people's privacy.
Of course, private informations about all the people are the most valuable things they have. Where we live, what we eat, what we like, what we want. They surely use it for their own profit.

Did YOU read the article? All the informations were found in Google search! First of all Google gives the informations, not the article.

Most people don't even know what Google's robots can find about them in the web and release to the public. It is a serious problem, not only Google's but of all search engines. But the real problem is Google is punishing others for revealing this issue. Seems like Google wants to hide the problem and I'm not surpriced.

Elephant_Hunter
August 25, 2005, 12:25 am
You're obviously not listening either. I won't bother to repeat myself.

Aquarius
August 25, 2005, 12:29 am
So maybe I will: Why Google is punishing someone for revealing informations, that were already revealed by Google itself?

N1nj@
August 25, 2005, 12:34 am
I would use GIM if lets me add other poeple that don't have gmail.

SuperKill
August 25, 2005, 12:39 am
goddamnit, am i the only one who loves to see a polish person argueing?

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 1:06 am
quote:Originally posted by AquariusSo maybe I will: Why Google is punishing someone for revealing informations, that were already revealed by Google itself?

They didn't 'reveal' information, they just brought attention to it. If a fat person walks down the street, everyone knows they're fat. However, if someone points and laughs at them, then they're drawing unwanted attention.

Aquarius
August 25, 2005, 1:20 am
They made the informations available to the public. They gather huge amounts of personal informations and have no real control over it. And that's why they didn't like the article, because it showed the problem.

Google not so good for open standards?

Google tried to patent ads in RSS feeds. The idea is so silly as patenting ads in newspapers, but I guess EH will love it anyway.

http://google.blognewschannel.com/index.php/archives/2005/07/29/google-tried-to-patent-rss-ads/

Now let's wait and see what they will try to patent in the Jabber protocol...

BTW, it seems like Google doesn't really care about open web standards. A little comparision:

google.com doesn't validate and has over 30 errors in old good HTML.

search.msn.com (Misro$oft!) does validate and uses proper XHTML 1.0 Strict

It's a shame Micro$oft respects web standards more than Google.

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 1:44 am
Enough of this. They're both companies, and they're both out for their own gains. Who can blame them? Who can blame who for the article? They shouldn't have brought that personal information to light, though. There's a difference between having the power to do something, and abusing that power.

Cookie.
August 25, 2005, 1:53 am
Yahoo! > Google

Not to mention Google is evil :\

Elephant_Hunter
August 25, 2005, 2:24 am
quote:Originally posted by AquariusIt's a shame Micro$oft respects web standards more than Google.

You have to be joking. Seriously my face turned red and I had to run the bathroom for tissue paper.

First off, a website validation has little\nothing to do with whether google supports open standards. I could just as easily say that Opera does not support standards because it doesn't pass the Acid2 test. We both know this is not true. Opera has little to gain from passing the Acid2 test, as does Google from having a 'doctype' in their header. Every browser I am aware of supports Google.com.

Microsoft, on the other hand... Do I even have to make this speech? Come on Aqua. You have to be screwing with me. They are the definition of not supporting standards. JScript & VbScript vs Javascript, .Net vs Java, ActiveX vs Applets, no png transparency (God, I hate that one). MS has carved the word 'evil' in stone as far as I'm concerned.

quote:Originally posted by Aquarius
Google tried to patent ads in RSS feeds.

Once again you are conveniently leaving out important information. It goes deeper than that... Google tried to patent targeted ads in RSS feeds. Oh my lord! That's something that had not been done before! They also had very specific details on what they were patenting. You can check them out yourself instead of reading an article made by an idiot this time here.

frogboy
August 25, 2005, 5:02 am
OPERA IS EVIL THEY USE GOOGLE'S AD SERVICE.

And I quote, "Google and Opera are commited to protecting the privacy of our users."

Deleted User
August 25, 2005, 7:09 am
This program is just another Skype.

Aquarius
August 25, 2005, 8:52 am
quote:First off, a website validation has little\nothing to do with whether google supports open standards. I could just as easily say that Opera does not support standards because it doesn't pass the Acid2 test.
ROTFL! YOU have to be joking. Fixing bugs to pass the Acid2 is 10000x more difficult (Firefox and IE don't pass Acid2 either, to make things clear) than to make a webpage in proper HTML. Actually it is so big difference I can't believe you made the stupid comparision.

Not placing doctype in HTML is so lame I won't even comment this. Having valid homepage is the first signal that someone knows what's going on and support web standards. Google doesn't, because it never was. Only their main web search works in every browser, other services not always. And it's not a huge achievement, for a page with an input field, Google logo and a few links.

quote:Once again you are conveniently leaving out important information. It goes deeper than that... Google tried to patent targeted ads in RSS feeds. Oh my lord! That's something that had not been done before! They also had very specific details on what they were patenting. You can check them out yourself instead of reading an article made by an idiot this time here.

Wow, an open source fan defending stupid patents. And only because it came from Google the "Do not be evil..." company. I am sure if it would came from M$ you would be against this as hell. Brainwashed Google kids...

FYI, targeted ads were known before even Google existed.

Vijchtidoodah
August 25, 2005, 9:19 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@I would use GIM if lets me add other poeple that don't have gmail.

Amen to that!

Well, google is currently buying up fiber optic cables all over the place. There are currently rumors that this is part of a plan for Google to supply free wifi to my entire country. Until those are discovered to be false (and, oddly enough, rumors pertaining to google rarely do), I'll have to side with google.

quote:Originally posted by AquariusI am sure if it would came from M$ you would be against this as hell. Brainwashed Google kids...
Aquarius, I had no problem with you arguing like a child, but creating false classes to prove a point is just low. "Google Kids?" Never was and never will be such a thing. Same with that Liberal/Conservative crap that's going on in my country -- lame groups that were formed by arguing politicians just to prove a point. Give it a rest.

frogboy
August 25, 2005, 9:37 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahSame with that Liberal/Conservative crap that's going on in my country -- lame groups that were formed by arguing politicians just to prove a point.

THOSE GROUPS WERE CREATED BY THE EVIL LIBERAL MEDIA, NOT THE INNOCENT POLITICIANS!

Vijchtidoodah
August 25, 2005, 10:42 am
By the way, here is a list of google talk commands and tweaks that you can use.

And here is some information on getting trillian to work with GTalk.

Have fun.

m00`
August 25, 2005, 11:27 am
Google has gone pretty far with this lol

Anyho I would use this if it would let me choose my dam username instead of automatically using my first and last name which i put as Ilike Buffalos

Elephant_Hunter
August 25, 2005, 6:49 pm
Accusing me of being a "Google kid" is demeaning. I am not just supporting Google, but supporting myself. I don't check out Google's "New Crap" section at all, but I do look at sourceforge on a daily basis and find things that are useful. Both Google and MS have put projects on sourceforge, but I find Google's contributions to well exceed anything Microsoft has to offer.

Neatly put, I am simply choosing the lesser of two evils. Someday google might do something horrendously wrong, and that would change my opinion. For now I want to support a company that can not/will not be taken over by Microsoft and allows diversity for open source programmers like myself.

I know you are an HTML nazi, but inserting a doctype does not make it a proper html page. The doctype only allows for automatic validation. I remember before w3c even came up with the whole 'doctype' ordeal. There was valid HTML back in those days. Considering the 250 million [+] hits a day Google's main site gets and the extra cost for dishing out one unnecessary line of code, I don't blame them for wanting to save a buck.

And FYI, you still haven't gone over that patent page (or you are lying.) Targeted RSS ads have not been done before. As far as I am concerned there is no evidence to support otherwise. Read the specifics and then try to prove me wrong. You'll find that no other company had targeted RSS Ads depending user IPs using the method Google stated in the patent.

Hitman
August 25, 2005, 6:58 pm
This topic is hilarious.

[IMAGE]

Edit: The google messaging thingy would be cool if you could add people that don't have Gmail, as most, if not all of my contacts don't even know what Gmail is.

Hopefully this will be fixed.

b00stA
August 25, 2005, 10:01 pm
The problem with (software) patents is that you either patent some "obvious" idea before someone ELSE does it or you miss out and can't use it without paying royalties.
I think Google wouldn't have enforced their patent by demanding money from any other sites that would use this feature. It's just that they wanted to protect themselves from being prevented to use targeted ads in RSS.

Aquarius, don't bother :/

DT
August 25, 2005, 10:13 pm
Ads = bads
I would do anything to get rid of all ads altogether.

ráz0r
August 25, 2005, 10:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKillgoddamnit, am i the only one who loves to see a polish person argueing?

KUYRWA YOU, NO U KURWA, NO U

um i have no budies in gaim :(

SuperKill
August 25, 2005, 11:56 pm
MYNE FRIND AM ADMIN
YOU HAVED BAN
SPIERDALAJ

nah but israelies are worse.

Vijchtidoodah
August 25, 2005, 11:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by DTAds = bads
I would do anything to get rid of all ads altogether.

Hahaha, if that's the way you want it, then get ready to say goodbye to television, radio, and 90% of the internet because those three media are completely ad-dependant.