( search forums )
Shading
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Modding help
GC-UgiZonE
August 26, 2005, 7:45 pm
are there any shading tutorials? please help me i suck at shadin'!!

The Geologist
August 26, 2005, 8:09 pm
Ack. :/

GC-UgiZonE
August 26, 2005, 8:11 pm
thx so much but i asked fo' weapon-gfx and gostek shadin'

Keron Cyst
August 27, 2005, 3:51 am
Basically all you have to do is use the Edit Colors function in Paint at the top and lower Lum for every pixel back that you want to be darker. Lowering Lum makes the color darker, so keep doing that for each pixel back in the direction you want it darkened.

August 27, 2005, 8:18 am
Ah cool, but it's gotta be a bit drastic, or no effect is shown.

Keron Cyst
August 30, 2005, 1:52 am
True, true; depending on how many pixels there are I usually down Lum 10 every time if it's long (that's the least), but usually I go 15, 20, 25, or even 30 occasionally if there are hardly any pixels to shade.

Deleted User
August 30, 2005, 2:00 am
Since I've been asked this twice by PM function (not that I mind) I'll just go ahead and post a revised version of what I sent to the people who asked me.

quote:When I first started modding I thought I would never be able to make weapons, None the less the MS paint. But after a couple tries with different weapons, my weapons became better. [/confidence booster for you]

My point with that is, dont get discouraged, everyone can make weapons. They may look like garbage at first, but they'll improve (Not saying that yours look like garbage at all ) . My first did'nt even have shading, and were always out of proportion.

Now, the method to my madness, After I made you sit through that
Firs of all, I get a picture of the weapon I'm creating, usally via google images Then I get the colors I want it to be layed out. In this case I alredy have black shades, grey shades, and wood colors alredy made that I can just copy to the window I'm working in. But At first I started with nothing.
So first thing, get the picture of the gun you're working on, minimize the paint window so that you can see the gun you're working on, and work on the actual gun while looking at the pic. This helps trmendiously I've found. And if you cant quite get the colors you want, print screen the gun and soak up some of those colors. Thats okay too.

Now to the actual shading. I decide which way the light will be coming from, usally I make the light point at the barrel of the gun. Then I take darker shades of the color I'm making the gun, and put it towardes the oposite side that the light is coming from. I also place them wherever I feel light would not show (bumps cracks etc). Then I take a little lighter color than the one I just applied and do a second shading around somtimes (be carfull with this because if the gun is to small it gives it the apearance of being round). Once that is done then select a lighter color than all the ones you have, use this color spareingly, too much will make it look odd. And put it whever the light would create a reflection (in your own mind, this is'nt an exact science :p). And vioala! That should do the trick.

With respect, your fellow forumer,

Matthew Bluhm

A.K.A.

Field Marshal BM

And if done right, it will come out looking somthing like this: [IMAGE]

August 30, 2005, 2:55 am
gah! stop doing that! Your mods are so well shaded... maybe i'll stick to simple flat weaps

MikeShinoda.pheonix
August 30, 2005, 5:35 am
When I draw a weapon, I start out with a general shape, and then color it the general color, and then I shade or detail it. I find that a lot easier than trying to do everything at once.

SPARTAN_III
August 30, 2005, 12:44 pm
i invented my own method that seems cheap yet pretty legitimate. i'll post it when i'm bothered enough to make screenshots

MikeShinoda.pheonix
August 30, 2005, 9:32 pm
why are your methods cheap?

SPARTAN_III
August 31, 2005, 6:12 am
because they involve as little work as possible to produce results.

August 31, 2005, 6:22 am
Should i tell em? It's rlly cheap but very nice, but it requires a bit of fiddly ness and doesn't work on all guns, not all of them are cylindrical, like FMBMs guns have parts bulging out.

GC-UgiZonE
August 31, 2005, 7:33 am
thx for all the help :D

August 31, 2005, 8:42 am
[IMAGE]

Try this, shade the empty skins using the palette given. Show me what u can do and i'll tell you the rest of this. Trust me, i wont tell you unless spartan lets me

FMBM, i tried to follow in ur footsteps, hope this lives up to ur standards (the first is urs, the second is mine)

[IMAGE]

Deleted User
August 31, 2005, 1:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by 117[IMAGE]

Try this, shade the empty skins using the palette given. Show me what u can do and i'll tell you the rest of this. Trust me, i wont tell you unless spartan lets me

FMBM, i tried to follow in ur footsteps, hope this lives up to ur standards (the first is urs, the second is mine)

[IMAGE]

Thats pretty good, but instead of print screening the color palat make your own colors with some more definition in it, theres not quite enough contrast in it

August 31, 2005, 2:05 pm
hahah, you figured it out?

yeah, now i switched, im decreasing luminescense by hand, but for a starting technique, you can put the gun outline over the gradient. For more advanced, you have to create a different coloured palat. Hey, can you lend me some of your brown palat? I can seem to get brown and i want to make a gun with a wood stock... :(

Deleted User
August 31, 2005, 2:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by 117hahah, you figured it out?

yeah, now i switched, im decreasing luminescense by hand, but for a starting technique, you can put the gun outline over the gradient. For more advanced, you have to create a different coloured palat. Hey, can you lend me some of your brown palat? I can seem to get brown and i want to make a gun with a wood stock... :(

Heh, yeah I figured it out :p

And about th wood palat, sorry, I'm keeping all the palats I've made to myself because they work so well and I spent hours getting them all right

August 31, 2005, 2:48 pm
Oh k, thanks anyway, lolz. I stuck to Mikes way, it works pretty well, i think ill create my own palats. I just wish paint could save them, it take ages...

Deleted User
August 31, 2005, 2:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by 117Oh k, thanks anyway, lolz. I stuck to Mikes way, it works pretty well, i think ill create my own palats. I just wish paint could save them, it take ages...

What do you mean by save? You make them then save them as "color palat" or w/e then just copy the color into the gun window you're working on, you dont do it every time

SPARTAN_III
August 31, 2005, 5:31 pm
cant you just share the wood palate? please?

Deleted User
August 31, 2005, 6:15 pm
I'm sorry, but I can't. Everyone would be stealing my palates and claiming them as their own and it would make my mods "common". Sorry

MikeShinoda.pheonix
August 31, 2005, 9:42 pm
Ha!Ha! I know his secret now! Actually, I do that too to an extent. I don't have premade palates. I just kind of make one for the gun that im making as I make it.

September 1, 2005, 2:29 am
d00d, just becos you give a palate doesnt mean it will turn out well. Give a n00b a palate and he won't be able to make guns like you. But anyway, we respect your decision.

Im making this weapon creating tutorial for ms paint, its pretty easy, but for higher levels it would be so good. It has a basic colour scale, and keeps the organisation of drawings, making sure they're not all over the place :)

teh n00b tutorial!!!!!
[IMAGE]