( search forums )
Menu Appears Squished
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Cynake
August 29, 2005, 7:49 am
I haven't been able to find any information on this one around here.

I swapped video cards to an ASUS v3800M (32MB card, nVidia drivers, it's basically a TNT2), because my other similiar card wouldn't display half the in-game menus and the terrain was all transparent (and I couldn't find a fix for that either). I have DirectX 9.0, and the latest video drivers. I have 1284x1024, and 32 bit colours.

Soldat works fine in windowed mode. It does not work fine in fullscreen.

Here's what's normal for me when I start up:

1) It's fullscreen but without text for just a brief blink.
2) Then it's windowed-size (small) with text for a brief blink.
3) Then it blinks one last time and appears fullscreen with normal text. The menu that you see.

This is how it appeared on all my old machines too.

Except now, (on this newer computer), it does 1, and 2, but when it goes to do #3... it's squished.

If I have my Bitrate (in setup) set to 16, it is very very small. It is the normal width, but is squished to maybe 1/6th of my screen. I cannot see my mouse pointer (but sometimes I can notice by changing graphics when I'm over buttons, like the exit button). It is similiar to what you see when you set your monitor to a funny (laptop, etc) resolution, if you've ever tried that.

If I set the Bitrate to 32, the same thing happens, but it is a little bit better. It squishes to maybe 1/3 the height of my screen.

At either bitrate, it is impossible to click on settings, read most text, select a server, etc. I can just barely manage to guess how much to move my mouse down to click on the exit button.

When I do exit, my desktop is changed. I have an image in my background that is small. So I have it set to "Stretch". Well, once I quit, the image is no longer stretched, it's just sitting in the centre. When I go to my display settings, it is already set to Stretch, but if I re-click it and apply, it then actually stretches it.

The funny thing is, if I actually manage to get into battle, then everything's fine. The display displays fine. So the problem is just in that one part of the menu display.

Seems pretty obvious to me the problem is something to do with the changing resolutions, and probably directX. I suspect downgrading to DirectX 8 will fix problems, but, faced with doing that, I'd rather give up Soldat.

Any ideas anyone?