( search forums )
Htf_Nugget [Polyworks map]
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Hitman
August 29, 2005, 11:59 pm
Well, after constantly hearing about Polyworks being the best thing to happen to mapping, I thought I might give it a try. I found it surprisingly easy to use, contrary to 'Soldat Map Maker' (pain in the ass), and the result is my first ever map. The overall shape was supposed to look like a Chicken-Nugget, hence the name, but I kinda f**ked that one up. Anyways, I am content with this as my first map, although I think it could be better if the shape wasn't as random as it is now.

Here are the screenies:

Overview

[IMAGE]

In-Game #1

[IMAGE]

In-Game #2

[IMAGE]

Polygons (For advice on placement)

[IMAGE]

As you can see I tried to do some shading and I'd like some criticism on it. I've also included a screenshot of the way I placed my polygons in the hope of anybody correcting any mistakes I am making.

Download - If you are using Firefox/Opera please allow this site to open pop-ups as one has to open in order to download the file. For those using any other browser please temporarily disable any pop-up blockers.

Extract the archive into the Soldat maps directory.

Twinkler
August 30, 2005, 12:11 am
I kinda like the layout of this map, but there are a few things that I think could be a big problem. Each one of the spawnpoints has a little nook where the flagger could hide, which is alright, but the entrance to each of those areas very small, which could make it very annoying to attack upon.

I do like how you balanced out the map between the two teams though, making it asymetrical yet still providing a fair chance for both teams.

Not being much of a mapper myself, I can't say much about the poly placement. Except that lots of narrow polys, while very good for making gentle curves, can lead to big poly bugs. Though I think Polyworks prevents this from hapening, I'm not sure.

Also, is it waypointed? I'd venture a guess that it's not, but I still like to know.

If it was supposed to look like a nugget, are those outer platforms supposed to be fries?

cooz
August 30, 2005, 12:18 am
1797 polys?!? O_o
dude, your poly placement isn't world record in optimization :S

papasurf31
August 30, 2005, 12:56 am
Hmm, I like how it's asymmetrical and yet still balanced. You're use of polygons doesn't seem to affect much (compile speed is based on size of the map and not polygon numbers) and there is no noticable in game lag. The layout is nice, and the shading is good, although I'm a bit tired of green and brown maps. For your first map, it's extraordinary, so that might be your inherent skill or the intuitiveness of polyworks shining through here.

Either way, Good job and I hope to see more form you in the future.

Keron Cyst
August 30, 2005, 2:01 am
Players can just fall off and regain health & new weapons without having another death...

Michal
August 30, 2005, 2:31 am
The layout is good, the bases look fun for defending. It could be tough for attackers though, especially if they're unorganized.
I like the mix of natural and man-made looking structure.

The background colour near the bottom of the map looks nice, but at the top I think it's much too bright and saturated which makes it hard to see the shading. If you make the top colour darker and less saturated I think it would look nicer.
Overall, it's a nice map. Good job.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
August 30, 2005, 2:33 am
I think this map will be perfect for hold the flag. Lots of death :D. Nugget, lol.

Deleted User
August 30, 2005, 6:15 am
Wow, interesting layout. I like. GREAT look to it, you've certainly exposed the wonders of polyworks. Shading seems acceptable, I give this a 9/10. Nice poly placement, dont think anyone will take your suggestion. :P

N1nj@
August 30, 2005, 2:15 pm
ZOMG Hitman made a map!

I think you are still using an older version of polyworks =/