( search forums )
ctf_2forts Beta Version released - NEED WAYPOINTS
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
tntnik
August 31, 2005, 10:36 pm
ive had this idea for so long (a year actually) and i just couldnt pull it off to make it...
anyway this map is based on the map ctf_2forts from "Teamfortres" hl mod. The main idea of this map is that it has many ways to the flag and away from it so u have to use tactics to ddefend/attack the base.
the second most important idea of this map is to have shades or dark areas. The setting is at night so lights are turned on (using self made scenery such as lamps, projectors, and light beams) but where there are no lights there is a shade (from 50 to 10% translusent scenery) so it is almost impossible to see the opponent in the shade, thats why you hide in the shade near a lamp that would pin point your opponent - u see him he doesnt see u.

anyway here is the layout of the map (its only one side of the map, the other side is exactly the same)
[IMAGE]

if u wish to use this idea please let me know and ill send u what i have made so far. and if you make it just make sure u give some credit to me :)
any comments are welcome!'

Update: Heres my version:
[URL]
As you will find the polys are very bugged since there are to many of them and they are placed very close to each other. This was ment to have the Shadow and the light from lamps (as specified earlier) have an effect on the color of polys. So in a dark shadow the polys would almost reach black, however in very light areas they will be light blue. Why blue? well this is a night map so usually night is exressed by dark blue colours.
As you might notice the polys at the right side of the map are a lot bigger and are less bugged, this is because i tried to fix the problem.

cooz
August 31, 2005, 10:47 pm
no icicles!

tntnik
August 31, 2005, 11:05 pm
lol - just a bit? :)
dont worry, they'll be high up on the ceiling - its just for a nice look.
anyway, i might try to di it once again, but i know i wont finnish the map for sure, so anybody interested in taking over this project?

Deleted User
September 1, 2005, 7:01 am
I like it... i Really like it! ...but whats the blue line near the section 'crates' ?

Well i could think of taking over it...

Keron Cyst
September 1, 2005, 6:56 pm
How will you do the elevator shaft? Trampoline (multiple pasted polygons on top of each other) or what?...

tntnik
September 1, 2005, 10:14 pm
i actually found a way moving the polys in game while a key is pressed, but 1: its way to complicated (and i just dont remember it :)) and 2 its bugged as hell. so i just decided to make an elevator with a hole in the floor and the top and put it either on 1st floor/2nd floor or between them so players can get thru the joles or camp in it.

sit-anger - if u mean the blue line to the right of crates, that means the sky, so u cant go through it. also if u mean the agua thing on top of crates its a skylight where u also cannot go through them BUT have a small poly syicking out so u can camp there and look down on the crates.

tntnik
September 1, 2005, 10:29 pm
Update: see the first post, i have put up a download page for my map + 1 scenery the bridge.

As you will find the polys are very bugged since there are to many of them and they are placed very close to each other. This was ment to have the Shadow and the light from lamps (as specified earlier) have an effect on the color of polys. So in a dark shadow the polys would almost reach black, however in very light areas they will be light blue. Why blue? well this is a night map so usually night is exressed by dark blue colours.
As you might notice the polys at the right side of the map are a lot bigger and are less bugged, this is because i tried to fix the problem.

ALSO: what i am having trobles with is the STAIRS and that the graphic part of my map demends small polys, i do not know how to make that better, however i am very skilled at making caves etc and that means that i would most likely do a good job in making the bottom part of the map IF U WANT ME TO.

but anyway feel free to try and make this map, u might want to even start over not using anything i have done, thats fine, but u might want to take a look at what i have acomplished so far.
Also please post any improvements to the map that u have made every once i na while.

Sry for my long speech, but i think i covered everything :)

Deleted User
September 2, 2005, 4:46 am
quote:Originally posted by tntniki actually found a way moving the polys in game while a key is pressed, but 1: its way to complicated (and i just dont remember it :)) and 2 its bugged as hell. so i just decided to make an elevator with a hole in the floor and the top and put it either on 1st floor/2nd floor or between them so players can get thru the joles or camp in it.

sit-anger - if u mean the blue line to the right of crates, that means the sky, so u cant go through it. also if u mean the agua thing on top of crates its a skylight where u also cannot go through them BUT have a small poly syicking out so u can camp there and look down on the crates.

I must know of this moving poly concept.

Deleted User
September 2, 2005, 7:02 am
Yeah tntnik ...If u could do the cave and let me download it..u could be more a part in the map =D

Edit: ...Your link is just to the upload =/ not to your map

tntnik
September 2, 2005, 4:14 pm
extacide, if honestly i didnt create this concept, my bro did - i asked him to do so but it took him like a month lol :)
now i just cant find his program

sit-anger - ill do the cave in a week maybe more, since i have school now, well i do soon. also the link is to the download of my map - its working fine for me. If it still doesnt work - try finding "ctf_2forts" (cntr-f) on the [URL]

also, is anybody else want to take a crack at this map? id like to have more then 1 person working on it and just taking the best from each persons' work would be great. if not, thats cool too.

tntnik
September 2, 2005, 4:22 pm
oo, forgot one more thing, which mapmaker do u guys think is the best? PolyWorks?
well coulld u give me a download page for it, cuz ii cant find it....

tntnik
September 2, 2005, 6:31 pm
ok i have made the basic outline of the underground, i wont proceed until somebody says its great :) - any suggestions are welcome!
what i want to do next is add icicles (which if most will not like ill delete, but they make the cave look much better!) ill add some grass etc and make the polys darker. any comments?

screenie:
[IMAGE]

toadsMoke
September 2, 2005, 6:43 pm
2forts is actually originally from TF, which was a quake1 mod. But I doubt many people here would remember. It was the first online game of its kind and set the standard for all the new CTF FPS...

tntnik
September 2, 2005, 8:14 pm
oh yea, i remeber that! lol played it about what, 6 years ago? :)
that was a nice game :D

thank yoou for clearing that up man

tntnik
September 4, 2005, 3:12 am
Well im almost done the cave, took me like 2 days instead of 2 weeks lol - thank god for PolyWorks!
i just need to do some touch ups tomorow and ill give u the dl link, so sit-anger and everyone else who wants to try making the rest of the map, get rdy :)
heres the pic so far:
[IMAGE]
btw i would like to put coliders in the water, since after a certain time in water the bullet stops, what do u guys think about that?

any comments? suggestions?

Deleted User
September 5, 2005, 7:36 pm
Great! -lol third time u had to ask for comments whitout an answer =P

Yeah really good job! Actully..i tried use Polyworks twice now...And lol i must be the only one to think that it's much easier to use the orginal mapmaker

tntnik
September 6, 2005, 11:29 pm
:)
nah man, polyworks is easier, anyway when the forums were down i decided to just go for it and try to make the top again, i think its working now lol. well what im gonna do now is try to finnish what i started to do on the top and pass is on to u and see if u can ad/fix/remake anything. is that cool with u?

tntnik
September 6, 2005, 11:45 pm
ok this is what i've got so far, id like everyone's help here to rate something for me.
[IMAGE]

ok now im having thoughts about the very top of the map - u see how its closed off with the blue lines (meaning sky - cant go any higher). well what if i would remove them and make another path? personally i think that would be way to many paths but what about you? another thing is i can add another stairwell to the top of the tower - now, this can be added to removing the sky, or leave the sky and add the stairwell and adding some polys to stop the players from jumping out the windows of the tower.
Personally i'd like to add the stairwell and close off the windows so theres a hiding spot there, but im not too sure that it would be a good idea.
So what do you think is the best option and if this is a good idea - adding more paths or stairwells, or would that be too cheezy?

Deleted User
September 9, 2005, 6:25 am
hmm..i think u make that stairwll in the tower u marked and let me look at the map after..Really good!

tntnik
September 10, 2005, 8:46 pm
ok... i finally did it lol.
well im not done with the shadows and i didnt add any crates and w/e yet. So id just like u to work on the polys and change w/e u think should be changed.
here it is: (its still only half of the map, the other half is going to be copied/pasted)
[URL]

tntnik
September 22, 2005, 12:21 am
HERE IS THE BETA VERSION!
it is also most likely the fial version, unless somebody tells me to change something :)

well heres the DL:
[URL]

cant provide with screenies right now, sry, so plz dl it and try it out!
also i am getting it waypointed by Mar77a so expect it anytime soon.

Deleted User
September 23, 2005, 10:31 am
Okey u need to upload again xD

u forgot the scenery 2fortssmbridge.bmp

tntnik
September 23, 2005, 4:14 pm
argh, thx man
heres the new dl :)
[URL]

Deleted User
September 23, 2005, 5:48 pm
Great!..lol now i downloaded all versions and beta os the maps?...

are you sure you are done with the shades? it looks soo nice i want some more =)

Actully..its the best fortress maps ever made i think! something much better then 'inf_Fortress'

'Ive seen many ppl are making/going to make fort maps..but this will probably beat the crap out of any map :D

tntnik
September 24, 2005, 2:17 pm
heheh, thx man :D
well mar77a said he doesnt have time to waypoint such a huge map. of coarse thats alright with me, but now i need some1 else to waypoint it for me.

so can anybody do it plz? :)