( search forums )
My little rant
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Hitman
September 1, 2005, 3:02 am
I dunno if it's just me but I'm finding that pretty much every time I get on the computer (Usually 8 - 10 pm GMT) and start (attempting) to play Soldat I'm encountered with a sh**t load of servers with good ping but no bloody players.

I mean..

[IMAGE]

..what the f**k.

The most annoying thing about it is the fact that when I scroll down all the players seem to have swarmed to the high-ping servers like horny virgins after Jaybees' mum.

My theory is that 1.3 has scared off most of the players and those few that remain are left to play on decent but empty servers hosted by clans, websites and a few individuals who have been around for a while and have remained loyal to Soldat. Nevertheless, I remain optimistic.

Moving on.

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that (as I predicted) nobody is playing Hold the Flag. It might take some time to get used to, but after a while it's great fun. It's got Deathmatchs' constant fighting, fun teamwork and an objective. What more do you want?

If any of you lovely server Admins are reading this...fancy giving Hold the Flag a try? There are plenty of default maps and great custom ones to have a decent rotation. Example #2 and [url="http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=27175">#3 (I wasn't gonna add this since it's not that great, but I'd like to play it online at least once...see what it's like).

Deleted User
September 1, 2005, 3:05 am
Heh, Yeah I'd hafta say I've been forced to play in the high ping servers where my knives, laws, m79's and nades refuse to kill or cause pain.

As for HTF, I do play it...but all the HTF servers are empty. I hate waiting centuries for people to enter so I never really bother.

Chakra`
September 1, 2005, 3:24 am
dude....it's 3am.

September 1, 2005, 3:27 am
But rlly, in asia around n00n, the same thing happens. Whats even more wierd is the fact that no matter what you do, Himit will never show up, so its best that if you see it, add it to fave servers.

N1nj@
September 1, 2005, 3:30 am
ya i have to agree. All the low ping servers are always empty...other than u13 public servers...

MikeShinoda.pheonix
September 1, 2005, 3:37 am
Maybe the ping is low because no one is in there...
...And the ping is higher in the server with people because they are causing lag. Could I be right?

LazehBoi
September 1, 2005, 3:55 am
quote:Originally posted by MikeShinoda.pheonixMaybe the ping is low because no one is in there...
...And the ping is higher in the server with people because they are causing lag. Could I be right?

Yeah. You'd be right. I'm sure random public n00bs aren't like us forumers and all carry some sort of curse that totally screws servers in to the ground when they all play in one. Christ, that was idiotic.

So Hitman, it might be because there are so many servers, and maybe it's a bad day or something. I suppose having barely any servers has it's perks in that they almost always have players.

September 1, 2005, 5:02 am
Yeah, but utamaro never gets laggy... The only way to populate the empty servers is to go in and wait... untill ppl come..

Algernon
September 1, 2005, 5:50 am
that's why i never run the dedictated server. i always run a non-dedictated server. there's just something about a 1/20 non-dedictated vs. 0/20 with a dedictated server that is much more tempting. within a 5 minutes i usually have my servers filled up to the max of 20 players. with my dedictated server i can wait all day and no a one player will join. i run v1.2.1.

what's with 1.3? i can't get more than 20 or so servers to come up at a time. are these just 1.3 servers? can i still play on the 1.2.1 servers with 1.3? i host my own non-dedictated 1.3 server and no one joins unlike my 1.2.1 server which fill up real fast. is it just me or is 1.3 the worst thing to happen to soldat since... ever?

Vijchtidoodah
September 1, 2005, 6:28 am
Hitman, why don't you just turn on the filters for the number of players? I have it so it won't show empty or full servers and I just pick and choose the best one without having to scroll through the lobby.

Denacke
September 1, 2005, 8:48 am
I don't have problems finding decent low ping servers at the evening as a European.

Liber_Lupus
September 1, 2005, 8:57 am
Err those servers you have there..are usually quite full when I play at evening, around 20.00 and later (GMT 3)

September 1, 2005, 9:23 am
Lesee, even through filters some servers wont show up, at all. how do we get pass that?

Da cHeeSeMaN
September 1, 2005, 9:29 am
half the people i know who play soldat are on vacation right now...

mickle89
September 1, 2005, 10:32 am
That a (Please refrain from swearing) load of servers! Excuse my French.

bond_james_bond
September 1, 2005, 3:05 pm
I like the MSD clan servers.... ;)