( search forums )
LAN connection/nextmap & crosshair bugs
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
SuLieN
September 2, 2005, 2:21 pm
These bugs are poorly described OR not reported at all (I have not read every thread but done some searching) on these forums. We're playing with the latest (unregistered) clean version of Soldat (no mods/maps/bots added).

LAN bugs (yeah, some people play on LAN too)
limited connectivity: Sometimes clients cannot establish connection to the player who started the game (no dedicated server). The occurence seems random; there are no firewalls and the LAN is set up correctly. When the client is unable to connect, the host gets no indication of someone trying to connect and the client can wait for the response forever. There are three of us and when other two cannot connect, each of us tries to host until we get lucky to be able to connect. After a few days it gets pretty tiresome :(
1 minute client hang on map rotation: I remember this behaviour from earlier versions of Soldat. When a player hosts a game and the kill limit is reached (or time runs out), the game normally loads the next map. The host and bots respawn and continue playing on the new map, but ALL the clients freeze at the last frame before round score screen (they never get to see the scores). They can hear sounds from the game but cannot see or move. They can be killed; after that they respawn somewhere else but are still frozen the same way. They un-freeze after a fixed time period has elapsed (somewhere between 30-60 seconds) after map change; first they respawn in a very strange manner without being killed, a second or two after they respawn again and can play normally. The behaviour is always exactly the same as described. We work around it by having the host pause a game for a minute after each map change. Again, after a few days it gets pretty tiresome :( :(

EDIT - I forgot to mention an important thing: when the player unfreezes, he can 'see' again, and four lines appear in the console:
NETWORK: INVALID HOST
SENDBUFFER ERROR: lobby.soldat.pl
NETWORK: INVALID HOST
SENDBUFFER ERROR: selfkill.com

These are Internet lobby servers! And we are playing offline! Of course, 'register in lobby server' is turned off, as well as with the 'all-seeing eye'.

Gigantic crosshair (nasty as hell)

[IMAGE]
It was reported once or twice (image by PuMa), never in detail. It can happen with any weapon, anytime. When the crosshair is big (or gone) you see your player aiming as usual, but when you try to shoot it's like 4th of July - bullets fly everywhere in completely random directions. Nades are not affected (they are thrown in the angle your soldat is aiming), but every other weapon is (including the knife). As I mentioned, the crosshair is sometimes completely gone; my theory is that it is so big that it simply goes out of the screen. Sometimes, when the crosshair is big, you can see it slowly shrinking until it takes its normal scale and you can shoot again.
bug appears: completely random. Sometimes when shot. When it appears, chances are that you will respawn multiple times with crosshair gone (as described). Then you are f***ed.
bug dissappears: when shot, sometimes by itself on respawn. The trouble is, when you get rid of it by getting shot, you can enjoy shooting normally only until you die. You will then most likely respawn with crosshair completely gone.

SuLieN
September 3, 2005, 10:59 pm
Wow, interesting how this topic gets so little views just because it mentions LAN in the subject :) Are people scared of it?

The LAN map rotation hang really puzzles me, does anyone have a slightest idea why would the game request something from the lobby servers?

rabidhamster
September 3, 2005, 11:56 pm
maybe the gigantic crosshair is an auto-bink bug...

as for limited connectivity, i've had problems joining my friends' server after being networked for more than 1 hour (my friend couldn't join my server either). the ethernet cable needs to be unhooked, and both computers had to be rebooted.

error on map rotation: i've had that problem too, but it didn't last 30 seconds, it was more like 20 seconds (max).

GAMEOVER
September 4, 2005, 1:45 am
Only thing wrong with the cross hair is that anti aliasing or w/e its called stuff, it makes the cursor discolored and blurred hopefully this is fixed in an up and coming version or patch.

SuLieN
September 6, 2005, 6:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by rabidhamstererror on map rotation: i've had that problem too, but it didn't last 30 seconds, it was more like 20 seconds (max).
I believe that, for unknown reason, the client tries to hit the lobby servers on map change. The 20/40 seconds may be the timeout time for these requests. I'm going to play with hidden network settings (INI file) to see how this behaviour changes.

@GAMEOVER: yeah I hope for a quick patch too... can you imagine (or recall) a feeling when somebody is getting away with the flag and your crosshair 'gets jammed' so you can't shoot him (except with low range nades) :(

SuLieN
September 18, 2005, 7:57 pm
I tried to remove the servers from 'lobby_servers.txt'. I also set internet_connection to '0'. Didn't help much... the game still polls the default lobby (lobby.soldat.pl) so I guess the server name is hardcoded into the game. It doesn't care much that I pretend not to have an Internet connection, either.

But now things are slightly better because it hits only one lobby server (not two of them) so the timeout is a half shorter.

Michal Marcinkowski
September 19, 2005, 2:30 pm
Yeah the LAN makes problems every now and then but people don't send me reports on the issues. I'll see what I can do about it. Also does requesting servers in LAN work, does it find the server automatically always?