( search forums )
IRC Versus Comcast
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
_Mancer_
September 2, 2005, 10:15 pm
Is anyone else getting Glined? I mean.. I was glined for the first 2 weeks, then I could MAGICALLY get back on again, but now its just disgusting.

I can get on SOMETIMES. I mean, it tells me to do this:

As a security countermeasure, all clients connecting from *@*.comcast.net are now required to give a valid ident response on connect. If you use mIRC, open mIRC options, select Connect -> Identd -> Enable Identd server. You may also need to unblock external/internet port 113 in your software or hardware firewall and/or forward it..

And I did it, I unblocked port 113 and I checked Identd server, and it still doesnt work. It only works SOMETIMES like when it feels like it.

Apparently it isnt just me, hundreds of people are having this happen to them..

SCREW QUAKENET.

Denacke
September 2, 2005, 10:42 pm
Sucks to be you.

Also, next time don't post stuff like this in the soldat related area.

_Mancer_
September 2, 2005, 10:51 pm
It is related to soldat.. irc is a huge portion of communication for soldat players :X

karmazon
September 2, 2005, 10:53 pm
I get glined cause I have COX

Denacke
September 2, 2005, 11:12 pm
This is about IRC and your provider.

The place to post this would rather be either quakenets or your providers help services.

_Mancer_
September 2, 2005, 11:24 pm
It isnt just me dude.. hundreds of people have this problem.. Im just asking if anyone else has had it

Marbire
September 2, 2005, 11:32 pm
I've been having this problem for over a month........ sometimes I get unbanned, and I can get on, but within an hour or so, I'm glined again....

As of now I've been glined like 2-3 weeks straight. It's happening to all comcast users, and there's not even a message on the quakenet site..... pathetic....

Elephant_Hunter
September 3, 2005, 12:16 am
Denacke, stop. There are times to be a policewoman, but this isn't it. IRC is very much about soldat and the soldat community. Half of what goes on is what's behind IRC. Getting Glined on quakenet is not limited to Comcast, but COX as well. I can not access it at all.

_Mancer_
September 3, 2005, 2:23 am
In expression of my hate for irc and comcast combination, I made this:

http://ircversuscomcast.ytmnd.com/#

frogboy
September 3, 2005, 2:44 am
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_In expression of my hate for irc and comcast combination, I made this:

MIRC IS NOT IRC. IRC IS A PROTOCOL, MIRC IS A CLIENT.

Elephant_Hunter
September 3, 2005, 3:08 am
I'm using a proxy to connect to IRC right now. You might try that.

GAMEOVER
September 3, 2005, 7:17 am
Proxy will work but majority of em are slow, you need socks4 or 5 proxies btw.

Captain RibMan
September 3, 2005, 7:38 am
quote:Originally posted by karmazonI get glined cause I have COX

I have cocks and my IRC is fine, maybe mine is just better than yours :)

EDIT: BIGGER

b00stA
September 3, 2005, 12:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by _Mancer_In expression of my hate for irc and comcast combination, I made this:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR.

Mancer, try asking in the forums at www.quakenet.org

Melba
September 10, 2005, 5:51 pm
^Your battle isn't against IRC.
Quakenet is the reponsible network.

Marbire
September 10, 2005, 6:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
Mancer, try asking in the forums at www.quakenet.org

Ummm....... what forums?

b00stA
September 10, 2005, 7:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by MarbireUmmm....... what forums?

Awesome. Seems like they removed the forums.

Hoodlum
September 10, 2005, 7:41 pm
I have comcast and I have NEVER been glined.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

_Mancer_
September 10, 2005, 8:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by _Mancer_In expression of my hate for irc and comcast combination, I made this:

Same sh-t different a-shole.

VodkaZombie
September 11, 2005, 2:03 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain RibManquote:Originally posted by karmazonI get glined cause I have COX

I have cocks and my IRC is fine, maybe mine is just better than yours :)

EDIT: BIGGER

*Cox*. My friend uses COX and its perfectly fine.

Vijchtidoodah
September 11, 2005, 5:47 am
quote:Originally posted by b00stA

Hahaha, and you can't contact them without going to their #help channel.

_Mancer_
September 11, 2005, 5:50 am
And if you try to email them, they scan it for words like "G-line" and "Problem" and give you a link to their website about Glining and problems with it... which didnt do anything but reiterate the whole port 113 thing.

Marbire
September 11, 2005, 7:11 am
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodahquote:Originally posted by b00stA

Hahaha, and you can't contact them without going to their #help channel.

First thing I thought of doing was going to their forums. When I didn't see that, I went to the FAQ section, which answered nothing. So I went to the help section, and it said "Go to #help for help" ........

So then I went to Staff listings, and Emailed 3 of their staff....... yeah, that was about 2 months ago....

wood
September 11, 2005, 7:24 am
I feel your pain Mancer. I've been gone from soldat for a few months, and just recently decided to come back, and low and behold - comcast is banned.

My guess on the reasoning behind blocking comcast is because we (comcast users) are either lagging the network (highly doubtful), or there are a "more than usual" amount of users with this ISP doing bad things to quakenet.

I doubt they "need" us to have a complete community - meaning the risk of glining good users is worth it to get rid of the bad users.

Just my thoughts...

Deleted User
September 11, 2005, 8:32 am
If emailing Quakenet doesn't do it, complain to your ISP. Quakenet doesn't make money off your commiseration, your ISP does. Tell them to fix it or you find another ISP. Or better yet, get all of your names together (your true-to-life names) and submit them to your ISP in an email, to give them some idea of how many customers they will lose. Even if its just 5 customers, paying $50 a month for some form of broadband, that's at least $250 a month down the tubes.

They will listen.

_Mancer_
September 11, 2005, 8:35 am
quote:Originally posted by woodI feel your pain Mancer. I've been gone from soldat for a few months, and just recently decided to come back, and low and behold - comcast is banned.

My guess on the reasoning behind blocking comcast is because we (comcast users) are either lagging the network (highly doubtful), or there are a "more than usual" amount of users with this ISP doing bad things to quakenet.

I doubt they "need" us to have a complete community - meaning the risk of glining good users is worth it to get rid of the bad users.

Just my thoughts...

Wood your actually returning to soldat? Woo!

STEELIX
September 11, 2005, 8:54 am
That's a nice vicious cirkle there :O

Deleted User
September 11, 2005, 6:11 pm
I've got this problem too, just not with comcast :|

Scuba Steve
September 13, 2005, 3:43 am
Arr yea it happened to me since i had a router with comcast.. but i ended up going into my router settings and changing them to unblock port 113 and enable the ident server in irc now it works fine..